Why are Liberals lying about Ignatieff's past again?

You seem to think that the constitution was handed down from Mount Sinai. Trudeau was no Moses.

I see that you don't know your Canadian history. Trudeau didn't write the original constitution,and it isn't something to be taken lightly.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see that you don't know your Canadian history. Trudeau didn't write the original constitution,and it isn't something to be taken lightly.

Serious question. I know we have a BNA (British North America) Act. That was the basis of our rule of law for many years. We now also have our Charter of Rights and Freedoms, IIRC. But we do not have a constitution as such. Am I correct?

Serious question. I know we have a BNA (British North America) Act. That was the basis of our rule of law for many years. We now also have our Charter of Rights and Freedoms, IIRC. But we do not have a constitution as such. Am I correct?

No we have a constitution but not like the US. Ours is a living breathing document which is not written on paper per say but changes as our country changes. It changes with high court rulings and so on. Our constitution is more of concept then a document as far as I understand it.

No we have a constitution but not like the US. Ours is a living breathing document which is not written on paper per say but changes as our country changes. It changes with high court rulings and so on. Our constitution is more of concept then a document as far as I understand it.

Our constitution is a concept. How weak can you get. No wonder the Supreme Court of Canada feels free to be the champion of social engineering and we are all screwed.

As a non-citizen, Michael Ignatieff couldn't have legally registered or voted for dog catcher in the United States, let alone Senator John Kerry in 2004. He has a habit of being loose with the facts when it suits his need and audience. It's good for book sales I guess.

Which makes you wonder why he said “I am an American Democrat. I will vote for Kerry in November.”

But we do not have a constitution as such. Am I correct?

We do have a Constitution, some of it written, some of it not. It's far from weak. The Constitution that isn't written is based on convention that has been established over time. Our constitution is living and flexible. I don't see the problem with that.

Edited by Smallc

We do have a Constitution, some of it written, some of it not. It's far from weak. The Constitution that isn't written is based on convention that has been established over time. Our constitution is living and flexible. I don't see the problem with that.

But I seriously do. Any activist Supreme Court judge can just make up laws as he/she wishes that way. And to hell with the desires of the public.

But I seriously do. Any activist Supreme Court judge can just make up laws as he/she wishes that way.

No they can't. You really don't understand how our system works. The Supreme Court can interpret the constitution in order to determine the constitutionality of laws, but they don't make laws. They also can't make decisions that are outside of convention or the written components of the Constitution.

Which makes you wonder why he said “I am an American Democrat. I will vote for Kerry in November.”

It almost looks like he can't help himself. I guess it comes from seeing yourself as a citizen of the world or as some put it "cosmopolitan".

We have a meaningless communications snafu at Liberal HQ and another one of Mr. Ignatieff’s weird attempts to insinuate himself upon the American body politic. It’s certainly more significant than the recent “revelation” that Mr. Ignatieff’s wife, Zsuzsanna Zsohar, isn’t a Canadian citizen. But judging by the look on his face when questioned about his voting history on Monday, Mr. Ignatieff is pretty sure right-thinking Canadians find this all tawdry, uninteresting or both.

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2011/04/11/chris-selley-ignatieffs-time-outside-canada-a-problem/

like you are for saying the SC makes up laws?

As I said previously, I am sort of a drive-by shooter tonight, got family stuff happening, but yes, I think so but don't have the time to dig it up right now. I'll get back to you.

http://www.canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/23382

Just a tidbit, people don't vote for president in the US..

and Kerry was running for president - the electoral college votes for president -- the laws of individual states determine how votes translate to electoral college votes (since 2000 atleast)

People do however vote for their representatives in congress.

Edited by William Ashley

No they can't. You really don't understand how our system works. The Supreme Court can interpret the constitution in order to determine the constitutionality of laws, but they don't make laws. They also can't make decisions that are outside of convention or the written components of the Constitution.

We don't have a written constitution. We have the BNA Act and the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. But there is a whole hell of a lot that isn't covered, and that's where the SC has free reign.

The Supreme Court can interpret the constitution in order to determine the constitutionality of laws, but they don't make laws.
There are 9 justices. Frequently a minority disagrees with an interpretation of the the majority. I would assume that both interpretations are valid under law and the majority ruling is actually a reflection of the biases/prejudices of the majority. It is simply wrong to claim that the law dictates how the SCC should rule in all cases. Yet once the SCC rules the majority interpretation becomes a precident so it is reasonable to claim that judges do make laws via their power to pick and choose between alternate interpretations of the laws passed by parliment. Edited by TimG

The independent nation of Canada's legal constitution is the 1982 Act. Under BNA, we were still a British dominion.

That doesn't matter. Canada's Constitution is made up of documents that existed before Canada, as well as the Constitution Act, 1982, and the Constitution Act, 1867.