2011 Liberal-NDP Coalition is already in action?

Now that all this "coalitions shouldn't be allowed" silliness has died down, just want everyone to know there will definitely be coalition discussions deep into the nite of May 2nd. And guess what, Gilles wants to be part of the action as well. I think he may be welcomed with open arms. :D

Edited by Harry

Tagging a four year delay in implementation says "I'm making bold promises that I have no idea whether I can keep or not."

Voting based on a campaign promise is an iffy business at the best of times. Voting on a promise to do something near the end of a hypothetical majority mandate seems positively foolish.

Oh I agree. I think the pledge was not so much about the policy itself but to send a message of restraint on spending for new programs. I could see this being used to counteract and contrast with any high priced new spending on social programs to be released shortly by the Liberals.

Now that all this "coalitions shouldn't be allowed" silliness has died down, just want everyone to know there will definitely be coalition discussions deep into the nite of May 2nd. And guess what, Gilles wants to be part of the action as well. :D

Could be. But it's unlikely that it would be in the immediate aftermath. If such a thing happens, it will be engineered via a defeat of the Government over the Speech from the Throne. Harper would still be the incumbent PM, and, by tradition (if not outright constitutional precedent) has the right to first kick at forming another Government.

Could be. But it's unlikely that it would be in the immediate aftermath. If such a thing happens, it will be engineered via a defeat of the Government over the Speech from the Throne. Harper would still be the incumbent PM, and, by tradition (if not outright constitutional precedent) has the right to first kick at forming another Government.

Of course you are correct TB. I was just trying to make the point this is all about power and politics. Minority governments as you know are very different from majority governments, and no matter what Ignatieff, Harper, Layton or Duceppe say now before the election, if they find themselves in opposition with the majority of seats, watch out.

Edited by Harry

Every time they speak on politics. You should watch sometime. Don Martin is even easier, just read any of his Post columns, he was their token lefty.

Don Martin isn't a liberal, he just hates Harper and has for years. Robert Fife, I've seen no proof of that. Craig Oliver and Jane Taber...maybe.