Tories ask a last minute meeting with NDP

Today, the Tories want to meet with the NDP hoping to avoid an election or is it. Certain journalist are suggesting that the Tories really want an election but are using the NDP for the election. Too many games being playing today on the Hill. Also, if the leaks turn out to be true someone within the government could be in a whole lot of trouble. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/opinions/opinion/why-are-we-at-war-in-libya/article1950648/

Topaz. We can read the news ourselves. You don't have to link every article you read here. Seriously.

You should contact Greg or Charles since you seem to love the moderator role so much. Maybe, if you don't a moderator position, you could try for the boss position.

You should contact Greg or Charles since you seem to love the moderator role so much. Maybe, if you don't a moderator position, you could try for the boss position.

I've been suspended too many times for making fun of you and chartered.rights to ever be considered for such a role. :lol:

I've been suspended too many times for making fun of you and chartered.rights to ever be considered for such a role.

No doubt. Since you can't make any sense, "fun" would be the next logical step.

No doubt. Since you can't make any sense, "fun" would be the next logical step.

You're right! Making 'sense' of your ridiculous ramblings and bumblings is about as futile as digging a hole to China. Making 'fun' of you is much more productive! :lol:

If they were sincere they'd do all four demands, and not have waited so long. Either they are in or they arn't. It is total oppourtunism.

Why are they running so hard from avoiding an election? Quite they contrary they are just doing more belittling. You can have these ones but not those ones.

PULL THE TRIGGER.

With that sort of government the Opposition should be voting non confidence every chance they get. I can understand for them it may be political positioning but I despise the fact they could vote to continue life support for such maggots.

Edited by William Ashley

You're right! Making 'sense' of your ridiculous ramblings and bumblings is about as futile as digging a hole to China. Making 'fun' of you is much more productive! :lol:

I was recently informed by somebody--who was it?--that analogies are inherently poor forms of argument.

Now, that's not true. But you did make the claim, and I should think you'd hold yourself to an equally rigorous standard of proper versus improper rhetoric.

That you had difficulty understanding analogy's irreducible relationship to metaphor generally doesn't absolve you of at least the attempt to adhere to the "glass houses" construct of ethical behaviour.

Unless you feel that the "glass houses" denunciation of hypocrisy veers a little too close to...analogy! :)

Just sayin.'

Thanks for proving my point. Again.

Kudos to Jack Layton for not taking the crumbs that the Harper Regime offered him and his straight talk that the Harper Regime needs to be defeated and that the NDP will not support the budget...

In doing so he even has to face elements within the NDP party that wanted to accept those crumbs which means some rancor within his own party...

Michael Ignatieff speaking to reporters set the outline that Layton took to heart it seems; that offering less than the $1 BILLION, the amount spent on the G8/G20 summit, to "appease" the NDP was ludicrous seems to have resonated well with Layton and Layton to his credit didn't cave in to Harper...

Friday will now be the next round and it's looking good that the people of Canada will be making a decision on who will get to Govern them for the next few years...

I was recently informed by somebody--who was it?--that analogies are inherently poor forms of argument.

They are bad arguments. They show an inability to logically elaborate your argument from point A to point B and instead reduce/simplify it through comparison to a largely unrelated concept. It is, however, highly successful against people who cannot detect flawed reasoning.

But you did make the claim, and I should think you'd hold yourself to an equally rigorous standard of proper versus improper rhetoric.

If you could pinpoint the argument I was trying to make here you might have a point. If you read through the thread however, absolutely nothing of consequence was mentioned (OP included). I wasn't making any argument. I never said that analogy was evil and that you should never use it. I said it's weak argument that's easy to disassemble.

That you had difficulty understanding analogy's irreducible relationship to metaphor generally doesn't absolve you of at least the attempt to adhere to the "glass houses" construct of ethical behaviour.

I'm sorry. What's really sad is that you took my disdain for weakly formed arguments and concluded from it that any form of metaphor or comparison in regular discussion (or mocking banter) was taboo. That's the same sort of lame duck logic that leads to bad analogies! :D

I didn't think Jack would cave in, he took down Martin on his budget and the Tories budget wasn't as good as Martin's. As far as the budget goes, there's no amends so says Flaherty and so ALL parties want an election for different reasons.

Exactly right, although Layton's not taking the crumbs Harper offered him surprised more than just me, it took a lot of CBC and CTV pundit types by surprise too...

Especially since a lot of prominent NDPers were "Leaning" in the opposite direction from what Layton did in post budget reading interviews...

That's why I'm saying that Layton will be having some very interesting caucus meetings coming up, and then there's still the amendments portion of the budget before Friday when the shit ostensibly will hit the fan via a Liberal non confidence motion on the "ethics" and corruption of the Harper Regime and not the Harper Budget itself... ;)

Exactly right, although Layton's not taking the crumbs Harper offered him surprised more than just me, it took a lot of CBC and CTV pundit types by surprise too...

Most likely they had a higher opinion of his intelligence than was merited

Especially since a lot of prominent NDPers were "Leaning" in the opposite direction from what Layton did in post budget reading interviews...

The ones who can read polls, you mean?

That's why I'm saying that Layton will be having some very interesting caucus meetings coming up

And after the election he'll have some smaller caucus meetings, fewer people to worry about.

I didn't think Jack would cave in, he took down Martin on his budget and the Tories budget wasn't as good as Martin's. As far as the budget goes, there's no amends so says Flaherty and so ALL parties want an election for different reasons.

The 2006 government fell on a vote of non-confidence not a budget vote. Stop re-writing history.

Edited by punked