Pointless Posturing From Jack Layton

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We need an ELECTED Senate, but Ontario, for some odd reason, opposes this.

I don't think they oppose the "elected" part of it. It was the "equal" party of the Triple-E Senate that they didn't like, because it meant that one area of Parliamentary dominance of Ontario and Quebec inherited from 1867 would come to an end. Since Ontario has no real say in who the PM of the day decides should be appointed to the Senate, I doubt they ever minded switching it to an elected chamber.

I don't think they oppose the "elected" part of it. It was the "equal" party of the Triple-E Senate that they didn't like, because it meant that one area of Parliamentary dominance of Ontario and Quebec inherited from 1867 would come to an end. Since Ontario has no real say in who the PM of the day decides should be appointed to the Senate, I doubt they ever minded switching it to an elected chamber.

Exactly. They fear the loss of dominance. After all, what would Canada be if Ontario wasn't the boss?

A quite common practice among those that receive those "tax cuts"...

Generally speaking it's added to the Corporations' "profitability" margins and distributed in the form of dividends, increased share prices, and huge bonuses to those directly responsible for said rise in "profitability"... IF any jobs are created they are usually NOT in Canada (or US if US Corps) but rather in cheap labour countries... Having an actual NEGATIVE EFFECT on jobs rather than said "job creation"...

The "public side" is really not much different than the "private side" when it comes to labour practices in that entity... The BIG DIFFERENCE is found at the top management level where the CEO, you me and the rest of the general public, doesn't do their job properly by letting the CFO, the PM, and department vice-presidents, ministers, run the company without us, the CEO, providing adequate direction... When the CEO of any entity fails in performing their duties properly by relying solely on the underlings to run the company bad financial results are bound to be the consequence... WE, the CEO, are the responsible party and no one else... WE hire the CFO and the rest of senior management...

"If you learn from a defeat, you haven't really lost."

I give you the case of John Deere in Welland,Ontario..

Given HUUUUUGGGGEEEE tax breaks,not just from the Fed's,but from the provincial government as well..

Two years ago,they up and close the plant and moved most of the production to Mexico...

700 people out of work...

Edited by Jack Weber

I give you the case of John Deere in Welland,Ontario..

Given HUUUUUGGGGEEEE tax breaks,not just from the Fed's,but from the provincial government as well..

Two years ago,they up and close the plant and moved most of the production to Mexico...

700 people out of work...

Only a tiny sampling of many stories just like that I'm afraid...

They fear the loss of dominance. After all, what would Canada be if Ontario wasn't the boss?

I've heard it said Ontario is the economic engine of the country. That might have been true at one time but McGuinty is doing his best to bring down the Province a notch or two.

I've heard it said Ontario is the economic engine of the country. That might have been true at one time but McGuinty is doing his best to bring down the Province a notch or two.

So is a high dollar...

We have the lowest corporate tax rate of any jurisdiction in the Great Lakes region...

I am told,the HST will create 600,000 new jobs...

The NDP platform and message appeals to a Majority of Canadians. That doesn't translate into votes or seats or support for the party

You lost me there, sputnik.

If the platform appealed to Candians, they'd vote NDP. They don't, mostly they vote for other parties. Therefore, the NDP does not have broad appeal to Canadians. Wishing it were different does not make it so.

So is a high dollar...

We have the lowest corporate tax rate of any jurisdiction in the Great Lakes region...

I am told,the HST will create 600,000 new jobs...

Who told you that? Seriously...

I'm very anti-HST but I like to know under what kind of pressures Provincial Governments are placed to implement it... With the Manitoba Provincial Elections probably resulting in the PCs winning in Manitoba later this year it may be a good thing to know...

I already know about the BIG MONEY carrot to the Province(s') (arguably unresistable to any large province it being in the Billions of Dollars from the feds) which could mean the difference in "survivability" of the provinces' credit rating or defaulting on financial obligations...

Also, if you don't mind, tell me HOW combining 2 TAXES has ANY influence on "job creation" or job creating "strategies"?

Who told you that? Seriously...

I'm very anti-HST but I like to know under what kind of pressures Provincial Governments are placed to implement it... With the Manitoba Provincial Elections probably resulting in the PCs winning in Manitoba later this year it may be a good thing to know...

I already know about the BIG MONEY carrot to the Province(s') (arguably unresistable to any large province it being in the Billions of Dollars from the feds) which could mean the difference in "survivability" of the provinces' credit rating or defaulting on financial obligations...

Also, if you don't mind, tell me HOW combining 2 TAXES has ANY influence on "job creation" or job creating "strategies"?

I don't know that it does have any job creating strategies...

This is what Dalton keeps telling us,though....

Oh yeah!!

We are also being bribed with our own money to grease our palms....

I don't know that it does have any job creating strategies...

This is what Dalton keeps telling us,though....

Oh yeah!!

We are also being bribed with our own money to grease our palms....

I was just wondering if the pressure the Harper Regime puts on Provincial (especially Liberal) Governments like they did in Ontario and BC which it doesn't take a genius to realize is going to "hurt" the Prov. Gov. politically is such that it literally gives said Gov. no choice but to comply or hurt the province just to save themselves politically...

Because only undeveloped nations have politicinas appointed for life.

Non sequitur: Senators aren't appointed for life; there are developed countries that have unelected members of their upper chambers of parliament. So, again, why do we need an elected senate?

[sp]

Edited by g_bambino

I was just wondering if the pressure the Harper Regime puts on Provincial (especially Liberal) Governments like they did in Ontario and BC which it doesn't take a genius to realize is going to "hurt" the Prov. Gov. politically is such that it literally gives said Gov. no choice but to comply or hurt the province just to save themselves politically...

Well....

In this province,I suspect that Mr.McGuinty and Mr. Duncan (Finance Minister) agree with the idea around the HST.Essentially,the gov't requires revenue,however,they've slashed corporate tax rates as low as they can go...And they are loathe to raise those rates...

Hence we have the HST so that everyone gets dinged!!!

We should also remember,at least in Ontario,that Slasher Jimmy was always a fan of a blended sales tax when he was Fiance minister during the Harris' regime...

It's also instructive that Mr.Hudak,the current PC leader (and potential Premier by next October...and sadly...my MPP)backed Mr.Flaherty in his ill fated leadership bid and favours the same tax regime...

See, they've been saying that the HST is 'revenue-neutral'. (Incidentally, I've never understood why that's supposed to be a selling point for any tax!) So if that's true, then it seems that total tax revenue would actually drop with the corporate tax cuts. (I guess we have 'health premiums' and higher energy rates?) I defend McGuinty's govt a lot but I've got to admit that their tax policies mystify me a little.

Well....

In this province,I suspect that Mr.McGuinty and Mr. Duncan (Finance Minister) agree with the idea around the HST.Essentially,the gov't requires revenue,however,they've slashed corporate tax rates as low as they can go...And they are loathe to raise those rates...

Hence we have the HST so that everyone gets dinged!!!

We should also remember,at least in Ontario,that Slasher Jimmy was always a fan of a blended sales tax when he was Fiance minister during the Harris' regime...

It's also instructive that Mr.Hudak,the current PC leader (and potential Premier by next October...and sadly...my MPP)backed Mr.Flaherty in his ill fated leadership bid and favours the same tax regime...

That said, if we want to keep our wages significantly higher and our unions significantly stronger than those in other Great Lakes jurisdictions, it does make some sense to keep corporate taxes lower. It's worth noting that the Nordic countries have relatively low corporate taxes and high consumption taxes and income taxes.

How about OPTIONS to Corporations based on employment numbers AND profit numbers?

Choices of Government subsidies OR Tax concessions, but NEVER BOTH as is the case with many Corporate entities today...