This is America! (Part II); Non-Multicultural, Melting Pot

Our State Dep is in the same poo with Japan imho. It’s the first time since WWII Japan creates a secret intelligence service which will be mainly focused on surveillance of China and North Korea. I bet you our wizards in State Dep hope this is going to stay just a CIA subsidiary. LOL That’s stupidity! I’m scary due to it we’ll get a new Pearl Harbor! And it can’t be excluded it’s going to be a nuclear one!!

During some recent years there has been intensive talk in Japan on the need to come into possession of nuclear weapon allegedly to restrain China and North Korea.

I’m strongly suspicious crafty Japanese will never pacify themselves with Hiroshima you know. And one day they my well sort it out with us. That will be not just a new Pearl Harbor but a nuclear Pearl Harbor!! And for this we’ll be thankful to our State Dep.

Must that pride be tinged with such arrogance and exceptionalism, though?

Exceptionalism, yes, for a sustaining and vital myth to work its purpose, yes. No different from First Nations legends or the Bible's story of creation.
Anyone who's been on this board in the last five years will have read it. By the way, the story used to be two school teachers: what happened to the other one?

First, you posted a blank search form, but searching "Peterborough" with "JBG" as poster will yield my other postings of that story, and some discussion of a Peterborough realtor with whom I corresponded regularly. As for "the other one", I thought I said a "pair" of them. At least that's what you quoted.

Who said you were?

Sorry if I read it wrong.

Exceptionalism, yes, for a sustaining and vital myth to work its purpose, yes. No different from First Nations legends or the Bible's story of creation.

Whuzzah? Are you saying it's necessary to run down and ignore the achievements of others to build yourselves up?

First, you posted a blank search form, but searching "Peterborough" with "JBG" as poster will yield my other postings of that story, and some discussion of a Peterborough realtor with whom I corresponded regularly. As for "the other one", I thought I said a "pair" of them. At least that's what you quoted.

Yeah, and the search turns up 36 results, 26 of which are variations of that story. Point is, you must feel that those individuals are particularly representative of Canadians to keep using them as an example. Yes or no?

Americans have always been accused of being "hyper-patriotic". Would it have been better if our independence was basically a non-event, as in not exciting? (link to earlier thread)

Speaking of founding myths: I often wonder how much of the acceptance of violence and the glorification of the gun in the U.S. throughout its history is tied to its revolutionary origins.

Whuzzah? Are you saying it's necessary to run down and ignore the achievements of others to build yourselves up?

I have made the point before that Canada in particular has a lot to be proud of. I see pride as more positive "this is what's good about us" than a negative "this is what's bad about you". You will not find too many posts where I denigrate Canada, for example. And the ones that do are quibbles.

Yeah, and the search turns up 36 results, 26 of which are variations of that story. Point is, you must feel that those individuals are particularly representative of Canadians to keep using them as an example. Yes or no?

Sadly yes. Can you show me to be wrong? I hope you can.

Speaking of founding myths: I often wonder how much of the acceptance of violence and the glorification of the gun in the U.S. throughout its history is tied to its revolutionary origins.

The U.S. is not a violent country compared to most on the globe. But yes our revolutionary and Civil War history, as well as the World Wars does play a role. Edited by jbg

I have made the point before that Canada in particular has a lot to be proud of. I see pride as more positive "this is what's good about us" than a negative "this is what's bad about you". You will not find too many posts where I denigrate Canada, for example. And the ones that do are quibbles.

You believe your country alone has found the magic forumla for living together in harmony while those with multicultural policies (including Canada). Further you believe Canadians to be ignorant of their own history.

I can't prove otherwise: however, I can tell you anyone should be leery of drawing a conclusion from such a small sample size. Are there any, um, actual statistics or studies that suppport your anecdotal evidence? Like the kind that showed over twice as many Americans know Paula Abdul was a judge on American Idol than know that the phrase "government of the people, by the people, for the people" comes from Lincoln's Gettysburg Address.

The U.S. is not a violent country compared to most on the globe.

Apples to apples. The U.S is a violent country compared to most western, industrial states.

I met a girl born and lived in Niagara Falls NY , she didnt know where Canada was.

So, judging by that interaction I find it suprising that an overwhelming , nay 100% , of Americans have no idea where Canada is.

Does that work?

You believe your country alone has found the magic forumla for living together in harmony while those with multicultural policies (including Canada).

Is that a sentence only in Canadian language structure, or in English as well?

Further you believe Canadians to be ignorant of their own history.

Not all, but far too many.

I can't prove otherwise: however, I can tell you anyone should be leery of drawing a conclusion from such a small sample size. Are there any, um, actual statistics or studies that suppport your anecdotal evidence? Like the kind that showed over twice as many Americans know Paula Abdul was a judge on American Idol than know that the phrase "government of the people, by the people, for the people" comes from Lincoln's Gettysburg Address.

I looked at that link. Too funny, and too sad. As Sam Cooke said (link to lyrics):

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about a science book

Don't know much about the french I took
Edited by jbg

I met a girl born and lived in Niagara Falls NY , she didnt know where Canada was.

So, judging by that interaction I find it suprising that an overwhelming , nay 100% , of Americans have no idea where Canada is.

Does that work?

I want to be persuaded of the positive, that is, that more Canadians are aware of their country's proud history. My country; I know we have our share of morons.

Is that a sentence only in Canadian language structure, or in English as well?

It was a copy and paste job gone wrong. And stick your boring jabs about how Canadian English up your ass from whence they came.

Not all, but far too many.

Prove it. Schoolteachers from Peterborough need not apply.

I want to be persuaded of the positive, that is, that more Canadians are aware of their country's proud history. My country; I know we have our share of morons.

Huh?

You met a teacher who didnt know, made a gross assumption.

I met a girl who didnt know, made the same gross assumption.....yet it seems to work only opne way in favour of you.

Not sure how that works.

Ignorance is not confined to certain borders. We both have them, only ours are 10% of yours. (more or less) ;)

Although I do think we are not promoting Canadian history, we promote more of workd history, including the USA's history.

Consumption of US mass media means we get indctrinated early. Hell some of our own kids believe the myths circling US history presented in movies and tv shows.

Apparently the Yanks singlehandidly won all the wars. Phew, glad no one else participated.It could have been a real mess.

Edited by guyser

As long as we're peddling unprovable generalizations here, I'd posit Americans know more about their history (as a result of their solipsistic education system) but know or care little about the world around them. As guyser says, Canadians get a lot more exposure to world history (and-dare I say it?-other cultures) but their own history is less emphasized. The question is why one approach is any more legitimate or beneficial than the other.

Guest American Woman

As long as we're peddling unprovable generalizations here, I'd posit Americans know more about their history (as a result of their solipsistic education system) but know or care little about the world around them.

And I'd say both countries know about their own history -- or don't -- as both know and care about the world around them -- or don't. One and/or the other isn't exclusive "to Americans" or "to Canadians."

Although I do think we are not promoting Canadian history, we promote more of workd history, including the USA's history.

Consumption of US mass media means we get indctrinated early. Hell some of our own kids believe the myths circling US history presented in movies and tv shows.

Apparently the Yanks singlehandidly won all the wars. Phew, glad no one else participated.It could have been a real mess.

I am not advocating the promotion of U.S. history in Canada. I am deeply saddened by your countries' neglect of teaching its glorious history in the name of not "offending" Franchophones, First Nations and certain immigrant groups.

It was a copy and paste job gone wrong. And stick your boring jabs about how Canadian English up your ass from whence they came.

You oare absolutely right.

And I made that mistake earlier this evening. I can't promise I'll stop doing it but I'll try.

You make a good point.

But still, is "a proof is a proof" good English?

Edited by jbg