Creation

betsy

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mankind will never grasp the mystery of the Big Bang Theory. I mean: it's a terrible show, yet so popular! Why?

:)

Because a lot of people are under the delusion that they themselves are profoundly intelligent nerds, who ultimately will get the pretty girl who lives across the hall...without ever having to give up their obssession with The X-Men.

It's the same kind of people who love the movie 300 (blithely unaware of the film's hilariously accidental homosexual subtext), and whose heroes are of the same muscle-bound physique as were their high-school tormentors.

:)

Edited by bloodyminded

To carry on with this quite sensible line of thought: who was the atheist who said (to paraphrase): "all religious people disbelieve in every religion, except one. I merely take this a single step further"?

Its been attributed to Stephen Roberts:

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

http://coolquotescollection.com/4456/i-contend-that-we-are-both-atheists-i-just-believe-in-one-fewer-god-than-you-do

However, there has to be something in order to create something out of nothing. And if this something is within this nothingness, then you have a whole new question to answer.

Not really - we think in human terms of substance and time - what ever power generated all of this is obviously out and beyound our realm of law...not to mention physics...My point has always been that the NOTHING - could have stayed a nothing if it was truely a nothing as we know and understand NOTHING...again - It seems that this nothing - made a decision to be a something - that would take thought - and thus this proves the existance of God - The great nothing is a something that even as nothing is stronger and more powerful than all the something...Much like the Christ figure who was God in carnate...who could make his all powerful self totally and hopelessly helpless and weak - Power or lack of power are the same thing....almighty and uselessly weak in the end are also the same...so welcome to the great nothing...which is really quite something!

Not really - we think in human terms of substance and time - what ever power generated all of this is obviously out and beyound our realm of law...not to mention physics...My point has always been that the NOTHING - could have stayed a nothing if it was truely a nothing as we know and understand NOTHING...again - It seems that this nothing - made a decision to be a something - that would take thought - and thus this proves the existance of God - The great nothing is a something that even as nothing is stronger and more powerful than all the something...Much like the Christ figure who was God in carnate...who could make his all powerful self totally and hopelessly helpless and weak - Power or lack of power are the same thing....almighty and uselessly weak in the end are also the same...so welcome to the great nothing...which is really quite something!

Those must be quite the drugs you are on.

I provided a weblink with several alternatives to the hypothetical proposition that your intelligent designer created the universe. I'm honestly curious what you think of the numerous creation stories that have existed throughout the ages. In particular, I'm interested in what you believe distinguishes your particular creation story from all the others that have existed.

I know betsy has been on several times since I made my original post and at least once or twice since I've posted this. Why is she ignoring me? :(

I know betsy has been on several times since I made my original post and at least once or twice since I've posted this. Why is she ignoring me? :(

Which one from your list do you want as your alternative? Once you decide, support it. :)

Edited by betsy

Why are you insisting that I pick one? I'm quite content saying, "I don't know." You've come to the conclusion that 1 deity out of 3700 created everything and you've also dismissed all the other creation stories that have ever existed too. Why don't you try explaining what sets your theory apart? While I don't claim to know how everything was created, you on the other hand do. I'm curious what has led you to completely dismiss all the rest of the creation "theories" and deities that have ever existed.

Why are you insisting that I pick one? I'm quite content saying, "I don't know." You've come to the conclusion that 1 deity out of 3700 created everything and you've also dismissed all the other creation stories that have ever existed too. Why don't you try explaining what sets your theory apart? While I don't claim to know how everything was created, you on the other hand do. I'm curious what has led you to completely dismiss all the rest of the creation "theories" and deities that have ever existed.

Betsy:

Now that science has conclusively determined, notwithstanding the counterproductive attempts to sweep intelligent design under the rug, that the universe had a beginning, the real issue is how the universe began.

How did the universe begin? What caused the so-called Big Bang? Its no secret what I believe. The preponderance of evidence is very much on the side of an intelligent designer. Its up to those who disagree to provide an alternative.

What is your explanation as to the cause of the universe? Of course I know it won't be your explanation....but it should be the explanation you support. This is the issue and you haven't provided an answer. Avoiding providing an answer isn't an answer.

"End of story." :)

Edited by betsy

What is your explanation as to the cause of the universe? Of course I know it won't be your explanation....but it should be the explanation you support. This is the issue and you haven't provided an answer. Avoiding providing an answer isn't an answer.

"End of story." :)

I just gave you an answer. Let me write it one last time for you: I don't know.

Its been attributed to Stephen Roberts:

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

http://coolquotescollection.com/4456/i-contend-that-we-are-both-atheists-i-just-believe-in-one-fewer-god-than-you-do

Why is Dawkins running around using this line like it's his idea? I've heard him use that many times since he first went on the publicity tour for the God Delusion; and I've never heard him give an attribution to someone else.

Why is Dawkins running around using this line like it's his idea? I've heard him use that many times since he first went on the publicity tour for the God Delusion; and I've never heard him give an attribution to someone else.

Now that you mention it, I think it's from him that I heard it too.

Perhaps he doesn't know, and figures it's one of the many unattributable homilies or ideas that get repeated so often.

This thought was inspired by Psalm 104. Not as poetic yet let it please come as another psalm….that of praise to and glorification of my Creator. It comes from the heart.

When I look around, down and above me, all I see is an existence so finely-tuned that it can never be the result of pure chance.

Why does everything follow a pattern? Why does everything have a function?

From the complexities of the heart…to the intricacies of the human brain?

Why do we rely on plants to live? Why do we need water? Why do we, and plants and other animals rely on the sun? Why do some rely on darkness?

Why do we need one another? Each other?

Why is everything we need provided?

Why is there life and death?

Why is there a beginning and an end?

Huble discovered that universes and galaxies also begin and end.

Even out there, there is life and death.

Science gave us something to behold.

I see a beautiful earth from the photos taken from space.

Why is earth the only planet in the vast universe that looks so vibrant and so very much alive? Teeming with life!

Why does not it look like a barren rock? That only offers a hint…or miniscule traces of life?

Why…why is it that with such vastness of discovered universes and space, not even one other heavenly body even come close to the way Earth looks?

Why is the recurring theme of existence that of being a puzzle piece in the grand scheme of things…

….of reliance…

….of life and death?

Even science plays its designated role.

It offers empirical evidences for all to see!

It is the vehicle of knowledge and understanding.

Its duty is to magnify….to emphasize….the works of our Creator.

Reminding us of our purpose. Of our reliance in our Creator.

Life and death so prominently underlined…..

So it can only be, by our own free will, that we can decide if we want to live forever.

Why is earth the only planet in the vast universe that looks so vibrant and so very much alive? Teeming with life!

Why does not it look like a barren rock? That only offers a hint…or miniscule traces of life?

Why…why is it that with such vastness of discovered universes and space, not even one other heavenly body even come close to the way Earth looks?

How does the poet know that this is the only such planet? We have just started seeing planets over the past few years. We've only begun to learn about their orbital distances and if some are in the "habitable" zone.

We are learning more each day but so far one thing we have learned is that it appears there are ZILLIONS of planets! There is nothing at all remarkable or unique about them existing! It is starting to appear that the odds of planets being very similar to the Earth are extremely good.

So I ask again, how does the poet know this? Are we expected to accept this as truth?

How does the poet know that this is the only such planet? We have just started seeing planets over the past few years. We've only begun to learn about their orbital distances and if some are in the "habitable" zone.

The poet does not say this is the only planet.

The poet does not say this is the only inhabited planet.

The poet asks why with such vast amount of space with universe/galaxies exposed to us by science, not a single one of the ZILLIONS could even come close to being similar with that of earth.

After all, if we are in a "habitable zone" - and obviously we are - how come then are we the only one existing in this habitable zone?

We are learning more each day but so far one thing we have learned is that it appears there are ZILLIONS of planets!

Yes. And universes and galaxies! We've already taken a look OUTSIDE our zone! And going farther.

There is nothing at all remarkable or unique about them existing!

Other than with all these ZILLIONS of heavenly bodies both in our habitable zone and way, way out there....there is nothing like Earth!

The poet is not even looking for something identical to Earth.

She's merely questioning why....why there isn't even a single one that shows definite life!

Why with life TEEMING on Earth....science need a fine-tooth comb looking for anything that would suggest even just a hint of life from the ZILLIONS out there?

It is starting to appear that the odds of planets being very similar to the Earth are extremely good.

Nothing wrong with being wishful. Optimistic. Hopeful.

So I ask again, how does the poet know this?

Through the alleged EMPIRICAL EVIDENCES provided by YOUR SCIENCE, of course!

Are we expected to accept this as truth?

Not unless you doubt your science.

Edited by betsy

Those must be quite the drugs you are on.

Not effected by drugs...yours is such a classic and typical reply....no it's not dope - It's just an over active mind that has been out of the box for a number of years now....come out and play if you are brave enough to handle reality - most are not - most stay in the comfort zone of ignorance.

Nice story. Life is over once you die.

You have that correct ---boom zip ping gone! Those that think the soul is immortal have not translated their scripture....soul is the life force - it is the force that animates matter...it is a moral entity - once you die it disipates and is gone also....BUT - spirit is something else - it is like the benevolent parasite that lives in your flesh - and you are a host to - in other words holy spirit is the invitation given to God to live within you - once that is done - and part of God incarnate resides within your being - you are sustained and live longer and healthier...and when you die - you enter into the full mind of God and continue...This was the basis of ancient Christianity ....for instance the reason and the curse that the entity of Christ survived so long is the fact that he continued to live in others...

Nothing worse than jerks who say "have you excepted Jesus Christ as your personal saviour?" These jerks do not have a clue how this cosmic device really works...Like a vampire but a good one - It only enters into you if invited..which means you empty of your old self and let this force fill you - then you are new again - or as they say born again....It is a daring deed to give up who you are and let God take a ride in your skin - It is very alienating..but you get use to it - better to do this than to die and disappear for eternity.

She's merely questioning why....why there isn't even a single one that shows definite life!

Why with life TEEMING on Earth....science need a fine-tooth comb looking for anything that would suggest even just a hint of life from the ZILLIONS out there?

Umm, the only reason we haven't found life on thousands of planets in other solar systems yet is because we don't yet have the necessary detection capabilities. Don't worry though, the instruments necessary to determine the existence of life on exoplanets are presently in design and will be working within 10-20 years.

After all, if we are in a "habitable zone" - and obviously we are - how come then are we the only one existing in this habitable zone?

We aren't. Go see my thread about new earth like planets being found in the science and technology section.