Does The NDP Still Have A Reason To Exist

It's hard to know how many of those NDP voters would have voted Liberal otherwise though. Even if there were no NDP candidate at all, there are probably some of those NDP voters who would have voted Conservative, some who would have stayed home, and some who might have voted for the Greens or a fringe party.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's hard to know how many of those NDP voters would have voted Liberal otherwise though. Even if there were no NDP candidate at all, there are probably some of those NDP voters who would have voted Conservative, some who would have stayed home, and some who might have voted for the Greens or a fringe party.

Actually it's not hard to figure out at all, the numbers are all there...

We always get this kind of talk when the Liberals are too weak to get their fair share of centrist voters. Once you eventually settle on a leader who can either inspire/lead, this will be a meaningless topic.

I can agree with that...

OR a very pertinent to the general public event flips the vote once the writ is dropped and the public starts paying attention...

Paying attention....*chuckles*

Not yet... :D

And only the CONS are wasting the tax payer's money on advertising, same as last year, and nobody cares other than the opportunity it gives people to go to the fridge for more snacks...

;)

Not yet... :D

And only the CONS are wasting the tax payer's money on advertising, same as last year, and nobody cares other than the opportunity it gives people to go to the fridge for more snacks...

;)

Eh, Liberals wish they had tax payers money to blow on advertising.

I, for one, am thankful for the opportunity to see our dear leader hard at work at his mohagany desk.

Edited by Dithers

I, for one, am thankful for the opportunity to see our dear leader hard at work at his mohagany desk.

Oh goody...

Another one with "Dada Harper Syndrome"...

You need to talk to Mr.Falang...er...Canada..

Talk to him about his "Daddy issues" with our "dear leader"....

:blink::o:lol::lol:

They DO, $2 per vote, same for all of them, only the CONS are spending it every year BEFORE it expires once a writ is dropped...

Very CONSERVATIVE of them don't you think?

Actually it's not hard to figure out at all, the numbers are all there...

I don't see where you'd find all these numbers:

I think you're assuming that everyone who voted NDP would instead cast a Liberal vote in the absence of a strong NDP campaign. That's not always a safe assumption.

Edited by Evening Star

I don't see where you'd find all these numbers:

I think you're assuming that everyone who voted NDP would instead cast a Liberal vote in the absence of a strong NDP campaign. That's not always a safe assumption.

On the contrary, what I'm saying is in a technical 2 way race (cons vs libs) in that riding, based on the polling, statistical and historical DEMOGRAPHIC, without the active NDP influence, the Liberal would have won... Easily...

pssst, I'm not Jack...

No, but I was responding to both you and and had no intention of doing the 5 seconds of effort required to paste in another quote. The first sentence fragment was dedicated to you. The next to my dear friend Jack.

So, Jack, what does it for me is his dreamy blue eyes. And I like my men husky.

Edited by Dithers

No, but I was responding to both you and and had no intention of doing the 5 seconds of effort required to paste in another quote. The first sentence fragment was dedicated to you. The next to my dear friend Jack.

:D

Should I be jealous?

Saipan goes to Thailand for the ladyboys...

They're not husky,but I'm told they have the equipment you're looking for...

Gives a whole new meaning to the name Bangkok,does'nt it???

I live in Ontario...

If Tim Hudak wins the next provicial election,and gets a majority,you can bet some sort of RTW legislation (it'll most likeley have another name) will be implemented using the same Trojan Horse methods...

The WRAPpers in Alberta have RTW as one of their labour legislation party planks...

'Cause those oil and gas companies need that "freedom" ...

(see drive down wages and benny plans to increase shareholder value)...

Jack, the public unions hold too much power...way to much. It's the politicians fault of coarse but we need to fix it and not let the unions hold everyone hostage every time they want a massive pay rise. The unions call the companies greedy but in fact it's the unions who are greedy and uncaring. They don't care who pays or if the city can afford to pay they just want their money no matter what it takes and who it hurts. There isn't an unlimited amount of money.

Definitely. I am quite a catch.

Now, now, we just met, and I'm not THAT easy (though I can be had for the right price)...

That's assuming you're attracted to a highly intelligent, bald, pot bellied, toothless, cantankerous, old coute like me in the first place of course... B)

Jack, the public unions hold too much power...way to much. It's the politicians fault of coarse but we need to fix it and not let the unions hold everyone hostage every time they want a massive pay rise. The unions call the companies greedy but in fact it's the unions who are greedy and uncaring. They don't care who pays or if the city can afford to pay they just want their money no matter what it takes and who it hurts. There isn't an unlimited amount of money.

I might agree with you on the public sector...

You are simply incorrect in the private sector...

Making globalized statements on the powers of unions are as useless as making sweeping generalizations on corporate behavior based on the past actions of Enron.

You do realize, of course, that your comments can be twisted with a single tweak and be just as applicable to corporations, yes? There is little to no social good done by an overzealous drive to secure higher returns for shareholders.

Anyhow, from my perspective, the right to assemble, and all the labour rights that have spawned from it, are essential. Any moves to manipulate the current economic difficulties to squash human rights will trigger an equally fierce and destructive liberal backlash in years to come.

Edited by Dithers

I think Battletoads has the better of the argument.

First of all, in 1988 the NDP came close to passing the Liberals as Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition.

Second of all, the right question in my mind is if the Liberal Party has a reason to exist. In England, when Labour, roughly the best analog to the NDP formed, the Liberal Party's lifetime as a real factor (other than as a minority government or coalition partner) was short indeed. The Liberal Party of Canada is, in many peoples' view, more a non-ideological "brokerage party" (link to editorial article describing them, excerpts below) than a modern political party. The NDP and CPC fall closer to the model of modern, belief-centered parties.

Unlike their supposed analogues, the Democrats in the United States or Great Britain's Labor Party, Canada's Liberals are not a party built around certain policies and principles. They are instead what political scientists call a brokerage party, similar to the old Italian Christian Democrats or India's Congress Party: a political entity without fixed principles or policies that exploits the power of the central state to bribe or bully incompatible constituencies to join together to share the spoils of government.

As countries modernize, they tend to leave brokerage parties behind. Very belatedly, that moment of maturity may now be arriving in Canada. Americans may lose their illusions about my native country; Canadians will gain true multiparty democracy and accountability in government. It's an exchange that is long past due.

Thus, it's the Liberal Party that, in my opinion, needs to die.

I've had this post and theory on my mind for the last few days. It's really quite interesting. I wanted to thank you for posting it. :D