Packaging Regulations

Pogo

A long time gripe of mine has been how food companies will package their foods with so much excess packaging it is insane. It's annoying enough to buy a bag of chips and open it up to find that only half the bag is filled. However, I think the even bigger issue is the excess waste that this creates, and consequently, the increased damage on our environment this causes. I don't know how regulations that deal with this issue can be put in place, but it is clear to me that if we wish to aid the environment, this would be a great place to start.

A long time gripe of mine has been how food companies will package their foods with so much excess packaging it is insane. It's annoying enough to buy a bag of chips and open it up to find that only half the bag is filled. However, I think the even bigger issue is the excess waste that this creates, and consequently, the increased damage on our environment this causes. I don't know how regulations that deal with this issue can be put in place, but it is clear to me that if we wish to aid the environment, this would be a great place to start.

You do realize that much of the food products settle during shipping right?

You do realize that much of the food products settle during shipping right?

Not to mention the fact , in the case of the bag of chips, without that extra space and the gas pumped into the bag, no one would buy them since they are all broken and crushed.

The main point, not the example, is valid but so much of it is designed for catching the eye and without it product sales lag.

Sure, but I highly doubt that this is entirely to blame for the clear excess of packaging in many food products.

you do realize that companies look to minimize cost, and packaging is a cost. If the "excess" wasn't required by either regulation or food safety the companies would not over package, right?

you do realize that companies look to minimize cost, and packaging is a cost. If the "excess" wasn't required by either regulation or food safety the companies would not over package, right?

Unless packaging was part of the appeal and incentive to buy. Cheap advertising.

The fancy pictures, slogans and all that sort of stuff that entices consumers to buy the product.

How does that add to the amount of Packaging? Brand A chip bag is the Same size as brand b the amount of graphics doesn't change the bag just the look. If they removed all graphics you would still be left with a chip bag.

Same with a box of cereal or a tin of baked beans, or a box of rice, or a bag of flour, ect, ect, ect.

Edited by Alta4ever

How does that add to the amount of Packaging?

Actualy it can.

For instance, packaging changed for a brand of cleaner from a square to one of those molded handle top type spray bottle. Since they wont stay upright they are packeged in shrink wrap w a cardboard collars on the top and bottom.

But then it is 'new' and different....but all it is is a hell of a lot more packaging.

Actualy it can.

For instance, packaging changed for a brand of cleaner from a square to one of those molded handle top type spray bottle. Since they wont stay upright they are packeged in shrink wrap w a cardboard collars on the top and bottom.

But then it is 'new' and different....but all it is is a hell of a lot more packaging.

How likely is that product to stay around if you can't store it because the bottle won't stand up.

How likely is that product to stay around if you can't store it because the bottle won't stand up.

bottle wont stand up during shipping and stocking. Once at home no problems.

Surely you've seen these ?

Plenty of other pacjkagin is waste on our end, not so much on the producers and retailers end.

Think of small thing...tape measures,scissors, they can get lost or stolen if packaged small .

bottle wont stand up during shipping and stocking. Once at home no problems.

Surely you've seen these ?

Plenty of other pacjkagin is waste on our end, not so much on the producers and retailers end.

Think of small thing...tape measures,scissors, they can get lost or stolen if packaged small .

They tend to come in large quantity and the boxes get recycled afterward at the store, at least that was the case 15 years ago

They tend to come in large quantity and the boxes get recycled afterward at the store, at least that was the case 15 years ago

Not the case now, and in fact Cdn Tire had great success last year selling a tool that "helps open those annoying plastic packages that are so impossible to open" ....remember that?

First of all, these are somewhat contradictory sentences.

Second, where do you come to the conclusion that over-packaging is some necessity? You can see simialr products pacakaged differently by different brands. Which of them are breaking "regulation" and "safety" codes?

First of all, these are somewhat contradictory sentences.

Second, where do you come to the conclusion that over-packaging is some necessity? You can see simialr products pacakaged differently by different brands. Which of them are breaking "regulation" and "safety" codes?

What foodstuff is over packaged?

What foodstuff is over packaged?

One could make a case for............

-cereal

-crackers

-frozen foodstuffs (meatballs, lasagna,chicken dinners)

....there are more.....but all have a reason, most are valid, why they do. Doesnt negate that its excessive from a consumers end.

Edited by guyser

I wasn't specifying foodstuffs.

Do you always ignore everyting by asking a question?

Some companies over package, and it is done so the end user gets a better product, or because the government has not yet come out with packaging regulation on a specific product and the company is being a good corporate citizen.

Yes I ignore inane questions. It isn't worth my time.

One could make a case for............

-cereal

-crackers

-frozen foodstuffs (meatballs, lasagna,chicken dinners)

....there are more.....but all have a reason, most are valid, why they do. Doesnt negate that its excessive from a consumers end.

ever buy just a bag of cereal it doesn't stand up as well and is more difficult to store. The boxes can be recycled. Same with Crackers. I'm not sure exactly what extra packaging there is on a bag of meat balls or in a dish of lasagna aside from the plastic wrapping you cook it in its packaging.