Green Party Majority ....if

lukin

It's interesting how things change when those people have to start looking after themselves and paying taxes.

I stopped following Ekos polls because they use prompting of party names. It has always skewered the results and have proven to be no where near accurate particularly with regards to the Green Party numbers.

I am surprised that they would go down this path again as it becomes much ado about nothing.

Another polster used to do the same kind of prompting (Don't consider this something nefarious, its just a different way of sampling the public) But then realized everytime they were saying numbers like 13% and 9% that the outcomes were between 2% and 6% and doing no one anygood.

Put in perspective, at the height of the Vietnam Civil war, with the Baby Boomers then in their teens and 20s being a significant force and movement in the United States, were still looking at Nixon as President for 2 terms.

25 years later these people are voting for Bush...twice.

So, perhaps Ekos has a poll with little to talk about. The numbers of the Libs and Cons remain in minority and within the margins of error.

How does one report a poll that says...

Hey look , its the same as last month...and the month before and same as the year before and before that too.

Looks like Deadlock.

Thats the story.

So... in other words, if only ignorant people voted.
And dope smokers...

I am under 25, I do smoke dope, and out of the major political parties I support the green party the most. I don't consider myself to be ignorant, most of my friends simply vote for whoever their parents tell em to vote for, usually liberal or conservative.

I am under 25, I do smoke dope, and out of the major political parties I support the green party the most. I don't consider myself to be ignorant, most of my friends simply vote for whoever their parents tell em to vote for, usually liberal or conservative.

Yes. Do what your parents tell you! Or else...

My kids, especially when they were under-25 and smoking dope, always seemed to vote NDP - ostensibly because the two major parties harshed their buzz. The affect of this, of course, was that they cancelled out my vote. And since there are more of them than there are parents, damn, we were outvoted every election!!

Needless to say, they have been cut out of my will. They would just spend their inheritance on bud anyways.

I look forward to the day when the green party can make themselves relevant to an age demographic that actually votes. I think they could bring a lot to the table as another voice of opposition.

What can the Green Party "bring...to the table?" It seems fair to me that if the Greens can parrot another party's social platform, that party can nick the best the Greens have to offer in other policy areas.

Yes. Do what your parents tell you! Or else...

My kids, especially when they were under-25 and smoking dope, always seemed to vote NDP - ostensibly because the two major parties harshed their buzz. The affect of this, of course, was that they cancelled out my vote. And since there are more of them than there are parents, damn, we were outvoted every election!!

Needless to say, they have been cut out of my will. They would just spend their inheritance on bud anyways.

Hmm, I'm under 25, do not and have never smoked dope or anything else and vote for parties unrelated to what my parents vote for.

Don't consider yourself to be ignorant? How many people do you think do consider themselves to be ignorant, whether they are actually ignorant or not? Given that you smoke dope and vote for the green party I think other people here might have contrary opinions to your own regarding your level of ignorance :)

What can the Green Party "bring...to the table?" It seems fair to me that if the Greens can parrot another party's social platform, that party can nick the best the Greens have to offer in other policy areas.

The greens can bring attention to social/environmental issues without having to navigate a loyalty to unions. The greens can advocate for a shift toward consumption taxes. The greens can fight for proportional representation.

The greens can bring attention to social/environmental issues without having to navigate a loyalty to unions. The greens can advocate for a shift toward consumption taxes. The greens can fight for proportional representation.

No,they're even worse...The Greens pander to social engineering types that are into mass population behaviour modification using "market principles"...

Typical top down Marxist types...They use the "market principles" drivel to cover up that totalitarian leftist tendancy...

Proportional representation is the rallying cry of losers. Work harder to finish first. I work with Green supporters who constantly whine about proportional representation.

Instead of the Grey Cup, let's give a trophy to everyone, that's the philosophy of those who want PR.

No,they're even worse...The Greens pander to social engineering types that are into mass population behaviour modification using "market principles"...

Typical top down Marxist types...They use the "market principles" drivel to cover up that totalitarian leftist tendancy...

I am suggesting they have a role to fill in governance, not that I'd like to see them govern. Some of their nonsense defaults toward useful ideas, for example 'pay-per-use' roads. Tempered and on some issues, they could contribute to a better mix in taxation.

I am suggesting they have a role to fill in governance, not that I'd like to see them govern. Some of their nonsense defaults toward useful ideas, for example 'pay-per-use' roads. Tempered and on some issues, they could contribute to a better mix in taxation.

But as I alluded to, any ideas that might seem half decent can be hoovered by one of the big three and floated for viability. All the Greens do is splinter the left more. For what? For nothing.

But as I alluded to, any ideas that might seem half decent can be hoovered by one of the big three and floated for viability. All the Greens do is splinter the left more. For what? For nothing.

Not entirely true. There are many conservative voters in the west who declare the Greens as their second choice. So they have the ability to splinter both the left and the right. In a proportional representation system, the impact would be considerably less.

I have generally tended to agree with the Idealistic Pragmatist that our Greens are environmentalist Red Tories: http://idealisticpragmatist.blogspot.com/2006/10/garth-going-green-makes-sense.html

May does seem fairly progressive at times though. I'd certainly never associate anything about the Greens with Marxism. (You could argue that free-marketeers are also engaging in market-driven 'top-down social engineering'. That doesn't make them Marxists.)

Anywho, a month and a half ago, Ekos was telling us that under-25s lean NDP-Liberal-Green in that order: http://www.ekospolitics.com/index.php/2010/10/. They're fickle, kids these days. Something else interesting is that, in both polls, both the NDP and Greens seem to do better with voters who don't have post-secondary education! (I just made a huge bulls-eye, I realize.)

Not entirely true. There are many conservative voters in the west who declare the Greens as their second choice. So they have the ability to splinter both the left and the right. In a proportional representation system, the impact would be considerably less.

Second choice, no doubt for the simple hatred of anything that has Liberal on it.

However, I can see it now. Today the Green Party. Tomorrow the Reform Green Party out West. I am liking this scenario! :)

Second choice, no doubt for the simple hatred of anything that has Liberal on it.

However, I can see it now. Today the Green Party. Tomorrow the Reform Green Party out West. I am liking this scenario! :)

The other possibility is that they identify with their particular brand of fiscal conservatism and social progressiveness. As Evening Star states above, many see them as the voice for modern day red tories.