How hard is it to become a Canadian Citizen?

Argus

http://www.yourlibrary.ca/citizenship/

first question is loaded politically...

1. Who are the Aboriginal peoples of Canada?

a. The first European settlers to arrive in Canada

b. The descendents of the first immigrants to Canada

c. The first people to live in Canada

d. The first settlers of Newfoundland

Edited by M.Dancer

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

historically loaded...

97. Who had played an important part in building the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR)?

a. American railroad engineers.

b. Acadian railroad workers.

c. Chinese railroad workers.

d. Afro-American slaves.

Fact...chinese coolies were used.

Fact..many american civil engineers were hired

118 questions. I did not study, nor did I know any of the Richmond BC questions....

and my score is....???

These are the wrong answers

The following questions were answered incorrectly. The correct answers are in red italics.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name the federal electoral districts in Richmond, British Columbia.

a. Richmond has two federal electoral districts: Richmond North and Richmond South

b. Richmond has two federal electoral districts: Richmond East and Richmond West

c. Richmond has two federal electoral districts: Richmond and Richmond South.

d. Richmond has two federal electoral districts: Richmond and Delta-Richmond East

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name the members of Parliament for Richmond, British Columbia and the parties they belong to (Richmond, Delta-Richmond East respectively).

a. Alice Wong (Conservative), John Cummins (Conservative)

b. Raymond Chan (Liberal), John Cummins (Conservative Party of Canada)

c. Joy MacPhail (New Democratic Party), Gordon Campbell (Liberal)

d. Greg Halsey-Brandt (Liberal), Geoff Plant (Liberal)

Name the Members of the Legislative Assembly for Richmond, British Columbia and the parties they belong to (Richmond Centre, Richmond East, and Richmond-Steveston respectively).

a. Olga Ilich (Richmond Centre), Linda Reid (Richmond East) and John Cummins (Richmond Steveston)

b. John Cummins (Richmond Centre), Linda Reid (Richmond East) and John Yap (Richmond Steveston).

c. Olga Ilich (Richmond Centre), Rob Howard (Richmond East) and John Yap (Richmond Steveston)

d. Rob Howard (Richmond Centre), Linda Reid (Richmond East) and John Yap (Richmond Steveston).

What is the name of the leader of the Opposition in British Columbia?

a. Jane Sterk.

b. David Anderson.

c. Carole James.

d. Gordon Campbell.

What is the name of the Lieutenant-Governor of British Columbia?

a. David Lam.

b. Iona Campagnolo

c. Adrienne Clarkson.

d. Steven Point

What is the name of the Mayor of Richmond, British Columbia?

a. Mayor Ivan Gerlach.

b. Mayor Greg Halsey-Brandt.

c. Mayor Gil Blair.

d. Mayor Malcolm Brodie.

Which of the following statements about residential schools is NOT true?

a. The federal government placed many Aboriginal children in residential schools to educate and assimilate them into mainstream Canadian culture.

b. The schools were poorly funded and inflicted hardship on the students.

c. The schools were welcomed by the Aboriginal people.

d. Aboriginal language and cultural practices were mostly prohibited.

Who are the Aboriginal peoples of Canada?

a. The first European settlers to arrive in Canada

b. The descendents of the first immigrants to Canada

c. The first people to live in Canada

d. The first settlers of Newfoundland

Who was the first leader of a responsible government in the Canadas in 1849?

a. Sir John A. Macdonald.

b. Robert Baldwin.

c. Louis Riel.

d. Sir Louis-Hippolyte La Fontaine.

historically loaded...

97. Who had played an important part in building the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR)?

a. American railroad engineers.

b. Acadian railroad workers.

c. Chinese railroad workers.

d. Afro-American slaves.

Fact...chinese coolies were used.

Fact..many american civil engineers were hired

A perfect display of how useless multiple choice tests are.

Personally I feel the best test would be an oral exam in either official language.

Who Was the first prime minister

1) John B, Goode

2) John A Macdonald

3) David Suzuki

4) Carbon Tax

You know what, I don't give a crap of immigrants know who the first PM was or what the capital of PEI is. I don't think those are the kinds of questions we would want on a test. I think we want a test of cultural attitudes and whether or not they underestand the types of behaviours we expect here. I'd want more questions about what they'd do if they lost their job, or what they'd do if their son wanted to marry someone from a different religion or race, or what they thought of women wearing short skirts or driving cars. I'd rather weed out those who thought God's law, as they saw it, overruled everything else, than someone who didn't know how many provinces there are.

The testing done for promotion to higher level jobs in the public service can involve scores of questions on behaviour in the face of various circumstances. The theory is that at this stage you can learn the systems or programs, but you can't learn how to behave and interact properly if you don't already know how.

Edited by Argus

http://www.thestar.com/news/investigations/immigration/article/901584--so-you-think-you-know-everything-about-canada-eh

So you think you know everything about Canada, eh?

Canadians love Canada — despite the dreadful winter, high taxes and loser Leafs.

So when it was reported earlier this week that immigrants are flunking the new, tougher citizenship test in record numbers, outraged Canadians took over news websites, flooded radio shows and even blogged about it.

“Send them home,” said one. “Make it harder . . . no free rides,” said another reader. “There is just no excuse to fail the test,” was another comment.

Because Canadians know everything about Canada, eh?

Think again.

On a rain-soaked morning this week, the Toronto Star conducted this admittedly unscientific experiment asking six Canadian-born to take the citizenship test. Three men and three women had 20 multiple-choice questions — samples from Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s website — and 15 minutes. To pass, they needed 15 right answers.

The exercise yielded surprising results: three flunked, one squeaked by and two passed with flying colours.

Edited by bjre

You know what, I don't give a crap of immigrants know who the first PM was or what the capital of PEI is.

I have to agree. Even some minor question like where Lake Agassiz was is more important that about some long dead individuals.

We had strict teacher and I still remember Lake Superior is 600+ feet above sea. And that was taught in our class 60 years ago - in Czechoslovakia when I was 12.

I'd want more questions about what they'd do if they lost their job, or what they'd do if their son wanted to marry someone from a different religion or race, or what they thought of women wearing short skirts or driving cars. I'd rather weed out those who thought God's law, as they saw it, overruled everything else, than someone who didn't know how many provinces there are.

Unfortunately that is not happening so we have problems like Air India disaster. Sighs fighting among themself in their own temple.

Once I was in garage service down south in Toronto (run by Sikhs) sitting in a "waiting room" I see this large photos of the "warrior" all around in full regalia and with sabres. I recognized one, Talwinder Singh Parmar.

But then later I learned terrorists are openly celebrated in BC.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/sikh-politics-canada/index.html

Argus, you're actually advocating discriminating between immigrants on the basis of religious and cultural beliefs?

Personally I would - and I came as an Immigrant once.

Whenever that religious belief or "culture" run afoul with our laws - in any way.

And that happen often enough.

Argus, you're actually advocating discriminating between immigrants on the basis of religious and cultural beliefs?

Why wouldn't you?

Many religions/cultures support some pretty stupid stuff.

Islam for instance views women as vastly inferior to men. Why is it we should be letting misogynistic immigrants into the country.

Why wouldn't you?

Many religions/cultures support some pretty stupid stuff.

Islam for instance views women as vastly inferior to men. Why is it we should be letting misogynistic immigrants into the country.

Well...Misogyny is not solely a trait of Muslims...

Having a seemingly large number of bloodthirsty Islamofascists in their midsts would be a good enough reason for me...

Well I took the whole test and got 104/118. 5 of my wrong answers were the ones asking about municipal politics in Richmond, BC which I had absolutely no clue about though. Without those it's 104/113. Anyone else take the whole thing for fun?

Edited by Bonam

A perfect display of how useless multiple choice tests are.

Personally I feel the best test would be an oral exam in either official language.

I've taken old versions of the test myself. I did well on it even though as a Yank I know little about Canada.

Edited by jbg

Argus, Saipan, Battletoads: Do you guys even realize how easy it would be to just bullshit and pass a 'test of cultural attitudes'? At least the current test requires some actual factual knowledge about the country.

Their opinion is simple: Citizenship only give to those who agree with their idea. That is their religion of democracy, or a dictatorship called "democracy"

Argus, Saipan, Battletoads: Do you guys even realize how easy it would be to just bullshit and pass a 'test of cultural attitudes'? At least the current test requires some actual factual knowledge about the country.

Try.

You are correct. It would be quite easy to learn how to pass it.Learning about Canada would be harder.