Leafs on a STREAK !

CBC Story - Leafs come into Montreal on a `small streak`!

:lol: :lol:

What have they won - 2 games in a row ?

Toronto is arguably the worst sports city in North America. The Leafs have the longest non-cup streak now, and even before that had the longest streak of not making the finals I believe.

Other major sports teams (sorry, Rock) are in continually rebuilding phases. But there are enough corporate seats sold to make the team viable, economically. It`s a great business, and a good way to entertain clients - especially when there`s nothing happening on the ice-court-or-field to distract from your sales pitch.

One would think there are enough real sports fans to add second teams in at least some of these markets, but real sports fans expect winners.

Toronto is arguably the worst sports city in North America. The Leafs have the longest non-cup streak now, and even before that had the longest streak of not making the finals I believe.

Other major sports teams (sorry, Rock) are in continually rebuilding phases. But there are enough corporate seats sold to make the team viable, economically. It`s a great business, and a good way to entertain clients - especially when there`s nothing happening on the ice-court-or-field to distract from your sales pitch.

One would think there are enough real sports fans to add second teams in at least some of these markets, but real sports fans expect winners.

Wouldnt a city that fills up arenas even when teams are struggling be a GOOD sports city?

Edited by dre

Toronto is arguably the worst sports city in North America.

Well, one could be in a worse spot by living in....

1)Cleveland

2)Pittsburgh

3)Texas (exclude Dallas)

4)Atlanta

........Chicago Cubs fans suffer far more than anyone, Sox fans suffered forever too..

What i can tell you is the owner of any franchise in pro sports would love to have the dedicated fans that fill the rink every night that the Leafs do.

NHL owners circle the calendar the nights the Leafs play in their building. $$$$$$$

NHL owners circle the calendar the nights the Leafs play in their building. $$$$$$$

Leafs Nation amazes me. I love it when the Leafs play in Western cities and the roar of "Go Leafs Go" drowns out the other teams supporters. Of course the same thing happens in a lot of the rinks down south as well.

It's a point of pride when a team can garner the level of support that the Leafs do even if they haven't won since '67.

On the Pat Burns news, two of the best years I can remember as a Leafs fan were under his guidance. Rest in peace Pat.

So do I

We can only hope the Teachers fund wants a winner (on the ice that is) and Richard Peddie retires.

From what I've seen, it takes about 6-8 yrs. to build a team in this NHL, maybe longer. My oilers are in the middle of a rebuild and are in prime positiion for a top 3 pick this year. The leafs are coming along, and I do like the team, but I think you guys took a bath on that Kessel trade. Had you guys finished 9th or so last year, then it would have been a bargain. I don't think Phaneuf will do much for you either. You guys need a centre man and badly. In the new NHL teams are drafted over time.

The thing with Burke is that he has a tendency to build fast and leave the cupboard bare.

If they don't make the playoffs this year, I think the Burke/Wilson plan is done.

No way, they get this year and next for sure... as long as they are improving over all and getting closer they'll get some latitude...

Now, if they make a dumb trade and miss this year or next they are toast.

No way, they get this year and next for sure... as long as they are improving over all and getting closer they'll get some latitude...

I think so too.

If for no other reason than MLSEL does not want to spend mega bucks buying out the two. Why bother anyway, win or lose they fill the house.

The only thing I dont get is the powers that be know a playoff series is highly prfitable when one does not have to pay the players.

They already used up their dumb-trade points, he's called Phil Kessel. Hey, even Eddie Olczyk, who was a better player than Kessel, didn't demand such a high price back in the day.

Improving - as far as MLSE is concerned - is playoff revenue. No playoff revenue, take the show elsewhere boys, promises are cheap, the plats at the ACC during a playoff game ain't. And if MLSE would only realize the millions upon millions a Leaf Cup winner would produce in mercahandise alone...