God will save us from climate change

Because long term enough to pay for these devices is too long term for the assumptions made in a payoff calculation to still be true throughout the system's lifetime. If you expect your system to pay for itself in 30 years, for example, but 20 years down the road technology has evolved to the point where you can buy a system that will pay for itself in 5 years, well, you've lost money.

Technological change is happening faster and faster, and investing in a power system for your home that will only make sense if nothing changes over the next 3+ decades is stupid, because EVERYTHING will change over the next 3+ decades, just as it did over the last 3.

Its normal for those payback windows to be much larger when implementing new technologies. But those early iterations are a crucial part of the development cycle. Without them that technology youre talking about 20 years down the road will never come.

If you made any sort of fixed payback window a litmus test for investing in technologies then we would probably wouldnt have steam locomotive technology yet.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its normal for those payback windows to be much larger when implementing new technologies. But those early iterations are a crucial part of the development cycle. Without them that technology youre talking about 20 years down the road will never come.

If you made any sort of fixed payback window a litmus test for investing in technologies then we would probably wouldnt have steam locomotive technology yet.

Yeah and the people who buy these new technologies when they aren't economically viable are early adopters. Not everyone needs to be one. Also, the stuff developed 20 years (or whenever) down the road may well be completely unrelated technology.

Your premise is hopelessly naive, especially coming from a nation with one of the world's highest "consumer" per capita energy consumption. So when is the next election?

Canada is much colder than the US, so yeah we use more energy in the winter to keep us warm. I think that much is obvious.

Canada is much colder than the US, so yeah we use more energy in the winter to keep us warm. I think that much is obvious.

...not to mention the "essential" energy used to heat up bitumen to extract oil for export to the United States. Canada uses more energy per capita for lots of reasons.

More obvious than whining about how cold it is in Canada?

It is not cold..climate change has saved Toronto - might just be an act of God - after all God created the good as well as the evil...I just hope that America gets colder and we get warmer- that way all we have to do is simply invert the compass and say...Bush Cheney is down north and freezing in the dark...

"Bush Cheney" lives farther north than millions of Canadians, especially Toronto.

Have you considered moving even further north..like maybe a few miles NORTH of the North pole? I bet you would do real well up there - you could be the big shot in a town of one...perfect..and you could cry out in the loudest voice "look at me maw..I am on the top of the world" - and shoot yourself in the foot...THEN we Canadians could send a medovac chopper complete with a mobile operating room to fix you up..

You know BC - talking about the Canadian way- some times when a nobody is crushed in a car crash...I will see a slow moving orange helicopter fly by - they actually have a team of doctors doing surgery in the air...NOW - that is presidential treatment...for the lowest of the low to the highest of the high/// I guess we have a difference in our basic value system - that life is valuable..

BUT now that you sucked us in to this imperialist boondoggle called Afghanistan...we will become more like you - hope you are happy .....or maybe Americans in general are unhappy ..........

"the persuit of happiness" - BUT LIKE A CARROT ON A STICK YOU ARE NEVER ALLOWED TO CATCH IT!

Was hoping to fire you up and have some fun - but is appears you are getting old and slow - no time for a response - wanna go out and smoke - and oogle hot young babes...might even make some lunch - love to you and all of AMERICA..."I do not love him because he is good, I love him because he is my little child" - No one is perfect BC - neither I or you - all I can do is be of good spirit and faith...and hope for the best out of people - You have never let me down..In the end - goodness prevails - ALWAYS.

Have you considered moving even further north..like maybe a few miles NORTH of the North pole?

Yes...but then I found out that Canada thinks it owns the North Pole too!

.... I guess we have a difference in our basic value system - that life is valuable..

Gosh...I hope so.

BUT now that you sucked us in to this imperialist boondoggle called Afghanistan...we will become more like you - hope you are happy .....or maybe Americans in general are unhappy ..........

Such was the case long before Afghanistan....remember, it was the Americans who had to leave the biggest "imperialist" party of all. God Save the Queen!

"the persuit of happiness" - BUT LIKE A CARROT ON A STICK YOU ARE NEVER ALLOWED TO CATCH IT!

Ummmmm...what's up Doc?