Is Quebec Corrupt?

I doubt it. Quebec is likely only a small part of their customer base, given free trade with the US, and if you think Ontario would become Michigan what do you think Quebec would become? Mississippi?
Quebec is admittedly only a part of Ontario's customer base. But Canada without Quebec means that Canada/Ontario no longer exist - and people in Ontario instinctively know this. Alberta, Newfoundland, BC, Nova Scotia will still exist. But what is Ontario without Canada? What is a federal civil servant in Ottawa without Canada?

---

As to Quebec, one can hope it would become a Mississippi or a Louisiana since the weather would be warmer.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose many older men would describe their relationships with women in a somewhat similar, patronising way.

Just my perspective. But what about the content that followed?

"That said, I do agree that Ontario is largely absent of a nationalist identity. But I consider this one of its strengths. It's why toronto is such a natural home for voices as varied as Rohinton Mistry, Michael Ondaatje, K'naan, Atom Egoyan, Jane Jacobs (RIP), etc. and events like Caribana and TIFF. It's an interesting challenge to be a good home for the global diaspora and to give it such a solid platform from which to articulate. "

Not interested in recognizing Ontario and Toronto beyond the two-dimensional frame you've locked it into? Or is your sensibility like some 'anglo-canadians', who can't see the their nation's good with shitting on the US?

The Quebec nation?

(Gawd, I sometimes hate the sovereignty/federalist debate in Quebec.)

You can thank Harper for referring to Quebec as a "nation".

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20061127/quebec_motion_061127/

The House of Commons has passed a motion that defines the Quebecois as "a nation within a united Canada."

The majority of Conservative and Liberal MPs supported the motion, along with the Bloc Quebecois and New Democrats. The vote passed 266 to 16.

Among the MPs who voted against the motion were Liberal leadership candidate Ken Dryden and independent MP Garth Turner.

Tory MP Michael Chong had earlier resigned from his post as the intergovernmental affairs minister so he could abstain from voting.

Peter Van Loan, a Conservative MP who represents the Ontario riding of York-Simcoe, has taken Chong's place.

"I believe in this great country of ours, and I believe in one nation undivided, called Canada," said Chong in a press conference hours before the vote.

"This is a fundamental principle for me, and not something I can, or will, compromise -- not now, not ever. While I'm loyal to my party and to my leader, my first loyalty is to my country."

Edited by The_Squid