Gun Control

What kind of ad hominem diversion is that? Are you fishing to find out if my middle name is 'Bubba', in which case you can dismiss my entire argument because I must be a 'gun nut'?

FYI, I do not nor have I ever owned a firearm of any kind.

Now, how about addressing my points? So far you've given us diddleysquat! I suspect its because you have nothing logical to give.

Settle down. Take a deep breath and exhale.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it needed, no. But seat belts aren't needed either. Nor are helmets. Or police on the roads. They all do the same thing - reduce injuries and death. ........

I think the real problem is that it isn't automated. I do think it makes sense to check to see if guns are being sold legally.. that is making sure that the firearm is being sold to a licensed individual.. or someone not prohibited from possessing, such as via court order or medical order. I think that is the underlying benefit. Of course with corrupt government and institutions you might be depriving a good person from that gun, but I think it does serve a useful purpose.

The onus is on you to establish that long gun registration reduces injuries, like helmets and seat belts. Evidence to that effect is awfully lean, and usually drawn from the same error as the second bit that I quoted. The registry plays no role in 'making sure that the firearm is being sold to a licensed individual' that wasn't already well-accomplished well before the registry existed... so that 'underlying benefit' doesn't exist either.

Well, we wouldn't want to leave you wondering whether you've managed to be sufficiently obnoxious to permanently alienate people from your position.

Let me add my "yo' mamma.." to his.

You are stuck with your position and I undertsand your need to be right even though you aren't.

Dyed in the wool bed-wetting lefty that I am, I am in agreement with Molly...even Saipan! (wtf?)

I think liberal-minded people have been quite boneheaded about this issue. And as someone else said here, a lot of it has to do with an unfamiliarity with firearms. They are potentially powerful and destructive, they seem scary and almost mysterious....

But they aren't. A few halfwits aside, gun owners are cognizant of the item in their hands; they know better than those who never use them what damage they can do, and they behave accordingly.

Here in NB, every second person (especially the "lower orders," the working class) owns a rifle. They're simply not an issue.

Edited by bloodyminded

Dyed in the wool bed-wetting lefty that I am, I am in agreement with Molly...even Saipan! (wtf?)

I think liberal-minded people have been quite boneheaded about this issue. And as someone else said here, a lot of it has to do with an unfamiliarity with firearms. They are potentially powerful and destructive, they seem scary and almost mysterious....

But they aren't. A few halfwits aside, gun owners are cognizant of the item in their hands; they know better than those who never use them what damage they can do, and they behave accordingly.

Here in NB, every second person (especially the "lower orders," the working class) owns a rifle. They're simply not an issue.

If they are not the issue then why the resistance to register?

I live in a large city and I can tell you guns are an issue here.

I dont think people have been boneheaded, I think people have brought in boneheaded issues and or cannot read to save their life.

I bet most think I support the register when in fact I dont.

Molly thinks saipan has done research? He is the worst offender on this issue, bringing all sorts of dumb aspects to the table, for instance my saying one has no right nor duty to shoot an intruder if a route out is available, and his reposnse is to ask about a Brinks guard running away? Oh please, its that idiocy on this issue that is frustrating.

I mention whyI thought the laws say ammo and gun kept separate and molly thinks I am barking for the anti side. I'm not.

It appears some dont want any restriction on owning a gun, none whatsoever. Well, that fantasy world should be left behind since there will always be some restrictions of some kind. Mentally unstable, domestic violence people, school zones,conceal carry and so on.

I live in a large city and I can tell you guns are an issue here.

Registered guns aren't an issue in Winnipeg....where there is not really a problem with guns anyway. Right now, there's a problem with a gang war though.

Registered guns aren't an issue in Winnipeg....where there is not really a problem with guns anyway. Right now, there's a problem with a gang war though.

Guns, whether registered or otherwise, are a problem and that includes the gang war you refer to. I am not obliged to accept the position you take on the issue.

By the way do you live in Winnipeg?

Edited by pinko

I dont think people have been boneheaded, I think people have brought in boneheaded issues and or cannot read to save their life.

I bet most think I support the register when in fact I dont.

Molly thinks saipan has done research? He is the worst offender on this issue, bringing all sorts of dumb aspects to the table, for instance my saying one has no right nor duty to shoot an intruder if a route out is available, and his reposnse is to ask about a Brinks guard running away? Oh please, its that idiocy on this issue that is frustrating.

I mention whyI thought the laws say ammo and gun kept separate and molly thinks I am barking for the anti side. I'm not.

It appears some dont want any restriction on owning a gun, none whatsoever. Well, that fantasy world should be left behind since there will always be some restrictions of some kind. Mentally unstable, domestic violence people, school zones,conceal carry and so on.

Sure, I agree with all this. Especially the point about Saipan, who doesn't even try for honest debate.

Here in the City of Winnipeg we have shootings on almost a daily basis in the westend, northend and even in the more affluent southend of the city. In addition many of the reserves here in Manitoba are infested with gangs and gun violence. There is an obvious purpose for a registry and that should be obvious to all concerned.

Pay attention. I have already articulated my position.

I went bqack a couple of days and this is what I found of your'explanations'

Gun nuts fail to see the logic in a registry even though most people are aware of its usefulness in police investigations

Thats it? Pretty lame and obviously not addressing legal guns but then again, you cannot nor wont articulate.

So we can assume you don't know a lick.

Thanks for playing

I went bqack a couple of days and this is what I found of your'explanations'

Thats it? Pretty lame and obviously not addressing legal guns but then again, you cannot nor wont articulate.

So we can assume you don't know a lick.

Thanks for playing

Keep on searching. I have already laid out my position. You seem to lack good research skills.

Edited by pinko

Pay attention. I have already articulated my position.

well, your position seems to be merely a blue sky wish!

I'm still waiting to hear how a gun registry will help with illegal guns and the criminals who use them. I frankly am not only unafraid but just don't care about legal gun owners who treat them in a responsible manner!

Fine, you support a system that gets all the responsible people to register their guns.

Big deal! Now what?

well, your position seems to be merely a blue sky wish!

I'm still waiting to hear how a gun registry will help with illegal guns and the criminals who use them. I frankly am not only unafraid but just don't care about legal gun owners who treat them in a responsible manner!

Fine, you support a system that gets all the responsible people to register their guns.

Big deal! Now what?

You also seem to lack the most basic of skills to sift through my previous posts.

Guns, whether registered or otherwise, are a problem and that includes the gang war you refer to. I am not obliged to accept the position you take on the issue.

By the way do you live in Winnipeg?

I live in Manitoba, and no, there isn't a problem with registered guns in Winnipeg...shootings, btw, are down 38% this year:

http://map2.winnipeg.ca/iMaps/Main.aspx?SFID=12517&SWC=ID=1&FILTERBYPD=0&cmd=SearchMap&FEATURESETID=604646

The gang war isn't being conducted with guns.

I live in Manitoba, and no, there isn't a problem with registered guns in Winnipeg...shootings, btw, are down 38% this year:

http://map2.winnipeg.ca/iMaps/Main.aspx?SFID=12517&SWC=ID=1&FILTERBYPD=0&cmd=SearchMap&FEATURESETID=604646

The gang war isn't being conducted with guns.

The gang wars as well as the wannabee gangster in the youth community are conducted with guns. You haven't got a clue about the conditions here in Winnipeg.

Edited by pinko

The gang wars as well as the wannabee gangster in the youth community are conducted with guns. You haven't got a clue about the conditions here in Winnipeg.

Yeah, I do. I lived in Winnipeg for four years. I only left last year. You don't have a clue what the registry does...which is next to nothing.

Well, it does something. It scares paranoid rural westerners who are already hateful of the government. There's a reason that people don't want the registry. They're scared that its the first step to what happened in Australia and the UK.