Toronto language diversity offers glimpse of Canada's future Read

If you're referring to Rabble (a site I seldom go on), I've never come across black racists there to the best of my memory. However, I must say that what annoys me the most about Rabble is the excessive sensitivity about other groups. One perfect example was when I was critical of the Official Languages Act, and suddenly all the fangs came out about my being a Francophobe, and then all the prejudices really came out once I'd announced that I'm a native French-speaker. Suddenly they all presumptuously put on their blinders and accused me of being a lyar because as per their prejudices and preconceived notions, no francophone could possibly have such thoughts. Then when I'd actually switched to French, many of them started calling me rude for having done so when they could not understand me. So no matter what I did, I couldn't win.

Looking at it that way I'd argue that they do have certain prejudices, but more specifically what we might call reverse-prejudice, and in a major and intense way that can really cause the vitriol to flow. They tend to be overly sensitive and defensive of other groups even when the other groups don't welcome it. ON the forum about First Nations I remember asking some straightforward questions out of curiosity. The First Nations on their could understand my ignorance and were more than happy to reply; meanwhile all the Whites had their fangs out for my having dared to ask questions. Even some of the First Nations were telling the rest to back off, that they're adults and quite capable of taking care of themselves, thank you very much.

I don't know how I could more specifically categorize that kind of prejudice, but prejudice it is, even if it is an oddly reversed form of it.

But I seldom go to Rabble because it's next to impossibly to admit ignorance on a topic and ask an honest question without all the fangs coming out of the woodwork presuming some malicious intent behind the questions. Nor is it possible, even for Francophones, to challenge anything that goes against their preconceived notions with regards to language policy, which I honestly found to be highly offensive as a Francohone myself.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're referring to Rabble (a site I seldom go on), I've never come across black racists there to the best of my memory. However, I must say that what annoys me the most about Rabble is the excessive sensitivity about other groups. One perfect example was when I was critical of the Official Languages Act, and suddenly all the fangs came out about my being a Francophobe, and then all the prejudices really came out once I'd announced that I'm a native French-speaker. Suddenly they all presumptuously put on their blinders and accused me of being a lyar because as per their prejudices and preconceived notions, no francophone could possibly have such thoughts. Then when I'd actually switched to French, many of them started calling me rude for having done so when they could not understand me. So no matter what I did, I couldn't win.

Looking at it that way I'd argue that they do have certain prejudices, but more specifically what we might call reverse-prejudice, and in a major and intense way that can really cause the vitriol to flow. They tend to be overly sensitive and defensive of other groups even when the other groups don't welcome it. ON the forum about First Nations I remember asking some straightforward questions out of curiosity. The First Nations on their could understand my ignorance and were more than happy to reply; meanwhile all the Whites had their fangs out for my having dared to ask questions. Even some of the First Nations were telling the rest to back off, that they're adults and quite capable of taking care of themselves, thank you very much.

I don't know how I could more specifically categorize that kind of prejudice, but prejudice it is, even if it is an oddly reversed form of it.

But I seldom go to Rabble because it's next to impossibly to admit ignorance on a topic and ask an honest question without all the fangs coming out of the woodwork presuming some malicious intent behind the questions. Nor is it possible, even for Francophones, to challenge anything that goes against their preconceived notions with regards to language policy, which I honestly found to be highly offensive as a Francohone myself.

No, I'm not referring to Rabble, but to something a hell of a lot more dank:

http://www.arguewitheveryone.com/race-issues/

My youngest dates a girl from Chile...one of his many...it's funny - she knows two or three words in English..he says sex with her does not need the use of language...I guess we should all have hot sex with all the dumb and speechless immigrants/// what a blessing - a woman that can not speak.

• 3 weeks later...

Because I used to visit the site from time to time, and there were no "black racists" (who, for all I know, are white people pretending to be black racists, and simply trying to play the supremacists at their own game) in evidence.

Now, it would appear there are two apparent black racists...as compared to a whole rogues' gallery of white supremacists.

If anyone thinks there is a racist black movement comparable in size to the white supremacist movement....well, I've got a magnificent, perfectly-running car to sell them for a mere $30 000.

At a forum geared to trolls as that one seems to be, it's probably safe to assume that a lot of people aren't who they say they are. There was a certain Obama themed forum in operation for a while that was quite busy with some outrageous comments, and I had my suspicions that the whole thing was a ruse to discredit actual supporters.

As to your last point, it may be worth taking note of some of the criticisms levelled at the "New Black Panther Party" by founding members of the original Panther movement and others. It may not be comparable in size to white supremacist movements but there do seem to be some similarities.

• 2 weeks later...