Kids Attack Couple

lukin

It's unbelievable what is going on in cities in Canada. Everyone says our crime rate is decreasing, but I wonder how many crimes go unreported because there are no consequences?

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/couple-survives-run-in-with-marauding-youths-92162449.html?viewAllComments=y

But the problem with this idea is that I see no reason to believe that crimes--especially ones like this, where the victims emerge relatively unscathed--were ever always reported.

In other words, crime has always been underreported.

But the problem with this idea is that I see no reason to believe that crimes--especially ones like this, where the victims emerge relatively unscathed--were ever always reported.

I agree that crime has been underreported. That's why I always question those who claim that crime rates are down according to statistics. I don't think the crime problem is getting any better.

I agree that crime has been underreported. That's why I always question those who claim that crime rates are down according to statistics. I don't think the crime problem is getting any better.

I don't know either. But my point was that, if crime has always been under-reported (and I think we can safely assume that it has), then all we have to go on is reported crime rates.

But all crimes that were reported were looked into. Now if there is a break and enter in your home the police don't even respond unless the crime is in progress. All those previously reported crimes are now included in what used to be just unreported crimes.

But all crimes that were reported were looked into. Now if there is a break and enter in your home the police don't even respond unless the crime is in progress. All those previously reported crimes are now included in what used to be just unreported crimes.

I don't know that all reported crimes were looked into; and I do know that police don't always ignore break and enters that have already occurred. That's simply not true.

And then there are other crimes that are far more often reported now than they used to be: sexual crimes, notably.

I don't know that all reported crimes were looked into; and I do know that police don't always ignore break and enters that have already occurred. That's simply not true.

Apparently, most of what I say is not true.

And then there are other crimes that are far more often reported now than they used to be: sexual crimes, notably.

Sex crimes are on the rise then, I would think?

Apparently, most of what I say is not true.

:) Now that is a very contestable point.

Sex crimes are on the rise then, I would think?

Sex crimes may be on the rise. It's hard to know, because most of them wouldn't be as likley to have been reported in the old days; and as the age of consent has risen, some are crimes now that wouldn't have been, or would have been lesser crimes.

Here's a snapshot of crime in canada:

http://www2.macleans.ca/national-crime-rankings/

I feel pretty safe, but I don't live in a high crime region and, in fact, neither do the vast majority of Canadians. Criminal activity seems to be highest in our smallest cities. Winnipeg and Edmonton, as mid-sized cities, are notable exceptions.

Winnipeg and Edmonton don't feel unsafe when you live there either. Crime is only an issue in a few small parts of those cities.

Specifically: if you're white, avoid north-end transit stations after dark.

-k