Tories reintroducing legislation to limit political loans

Sounds like a plan to me, but I'm sure the opposition won't vote for it.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Tories+reintroducing+legislation+limit+political+loans/2961779/story.html

The bill would cap the amount that individuals can loan to candidates, political parties or riding associations at $1,100, the maximum amount that individuals can donate. Currently, there is no limit on the amount that individuals can loan.

The legislation would also ban unions and corporations from making loans to candidates, parties or riding associations. Only financial institutions and other political entities, such as a federal party, would be allowed to make loans beyond $1,100.

The rules governing unpaid loans would also be tightened to ensure candidates can't walk away from their debts. Candidates would have to disclose details, such as the identity of their creditors or loan guarantors, and the rates of interest they are paying.

The legislation is designed to close what the Conservatives see as the loophole that Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff and other Liberals

cont...

How is a $1.95 per vot subsidy a choice

It allows parties with limited grass roots support the choice to ignore the grass roots and not worry about appealing to a wide spectrum and gives fringe parties the choice of keeping fringe policies or not...That's how,,,

How is a $1.95 per vot subsidy a choice

Perhaps you could try dealing with what I said and the context in which I said it. I realize that you probably are accustomed to talking to yourself, and the echo serves as some sort of call-and-answer system, but here in the outside world, we do try to keep things in context.

To remind you, you said:

They need to get rid of the $1.95 voter subsidy, now that`ll put the final nail in the Liberal`s coffin LOL

Now that clearly indicates you want the Liberals gone. So putting that in context, perhaps you could deal with what was said, rather than the echoes in your head.

It allows parties with limited grass roots support the choice to ignore the grass roots and not worry about appealing to a wide spectrum and gives fringe parties the choice of keeping fringe policies or not...That's how,,,

Again...and? Parties get more money from the subsidy by getting more people to vote for them....nice logic there.... :blink:

Again...and? Parties get more money from the subsidy by getting more people to vote for them....nice logic there.... :blink:

Actually the logic is perfect. Have you noticed that the number of voters has increased each election?

Actually the logic is perfect. Have you noticed that the number of voters has increased each election?

I think you meant decrease.....but that actually is irrelevant. Falling election returns are an a common thread across most of the western world. The Liberal party and the NDP are keeping relatively stable portions of the overall voter base.

Edited by Smallc

I think you meant decrease.....but that actually is irrelevant. Falling election returns are an a common thread across most of the western world. The Liberal party and the NDP are keeping relatively stable portions of the overall voter base.

No I meant increase...as in do you notice the increase, me neither...parties that can't motivate their constituency to vote and to donate have actually very soft support.

No I meant increase...as in do you notice the increase, me neither...parties that can't motivate their constituency to vote and to donate have actually very soft support.

But still, enough people vote and the subsidy kicks in.

I think the Tories are so hot on this because they don't have any money problems and this would create more problems for other parties and give an advantage to the Tories, but again its all about them.

Perhaps so, but it's still a good idea. The whole point behind banning corporate donations and limiting private donations was to prevent the wealthy from influencing politicians, was it not? Well do you not think a politician is influenced when a man or group he owes tens of thousands of dollars to suggests he take a particular stand on a particular issue?

Hrm... I believe the alledged grass roots support of the CPC is over stated. Does the CPC have so much support because they listen to the grass roots or because they’re not the LPC? Look at their main bastion of support, Alberta. Is this because they have such amazing fiscal policies that Alberta is so very much more prosperous thanks to the seemingly inexhaustible and sage wisdom of the party? My postulation is that in fact it is because they do not have the word Liberal, (read Trudeau), in their name and that it was formed from a party that once upon a time resembled a grass roots movement; how far the CPC has fallen from the reform days.

This is just another way that the CPC is trying to fix the system to their advantage. It's no different than the epic gerrymandering of the LPC. They'll ultimately attempt to tool the system so that the only the funding methods they employ are admissible. If the CPC is so amazing they should have been able to convince the majority of Canadians that they can do the best job of running the country, they should not have to resort to attempting to bankrupt the competition. I believe the new CPC motto should be “If you can’t beat them, bankrupt them.”

As I've said many times in many threads and TB pointed out earlier. When did "We're no worse than the other guy" become something that one should be proud of?

Hrm... I believe the alledged grass roots support of the CPC is over stated. Does the CPC have so much support because they listen to the grass roots or because they’re not the LPC? Look at their main bastion of support, Alberta.

I'll stop you there.

More people voted for the Conservatives in Ontario than Alberta...

I'll stop you there.

More people voted for the Conservatives in Ontario than Alberta...

Yes but a higher percentage of folks in Alberta voted for the the conservatives then did people in Ontario. Check the regional breakdowns of any poll and you'll find that CPC's support is strongest in Alberta and the rest of the west to a lesser degree. Same as the LPC gernerally derives the bulk of it's support from Ontario and the Atlantic Provinces.

Yes but a higher percentage of folks in Alberta voted for the the conservatives then did people in Ontario. Check the regional breakdowns of any poll and you'll find that CPC's support is strongest in Alberta and the rest of the west to a lesser degree. Same as the LPC gernerally derives the bulk of it's support from Ontario and the Atlantic Provinces.

And how does that support your contention when there are more supporters in Ontario than Alberta....where do political donations come from? It stands to reason that since there are almost twice as many CCP supporter in Ontario, that the lion share of donations come from there as well...

As for the Liberals and there voter base...they don't seem to donate regardles of wehere they come from...

+

or, perhaps, they have no real constituency, so why should they get taxpayer support?