Conservative response to Maternal Health: Liberals are Anti-American

So?

So why does Bennett feel that abortion (which Rae has brought up a few times) need not be mentioned?

Is this a rope a dope or perhaps that their own polling which shows 40% of Liberals (as well as quite a few back benchers do not support funding foreign abortions?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

..and it is so predictable. The frinking Americans and American policies are so pervasive in Canadian political discourse, they deserve honorary Canadian citizenship.

Mexico does not have this neurosis.

It infuriates me really. So shallow....whether it is Jack (fighting bravely) immitating Obama's mannerisms or the obligatory "we are not american" references....I know how and what I am and I do not need a counter point to enhance that definition....

So why does Bennett feel that abortion (which Rae has brought up a few times) need not be mentioned?

Is this a rope a dope or perhaps that their own polling which shows 40% of Liberals (as well as quite a few back benchers do not support funding foreign abortions?

Because she feels that "full reproductive services" covers it all and implies abortion. Then goes on to make a poignant argument that 13% pregnancy deaths are due to unsafe abortions, so clearly it's a huge issue and if we're going to do something at all, it has to be discussed. We can't just stick our fingers in our ears and go lalalalala because it's an icky issue that doesn't make people feel too good.

Because she feels that "full reproductive services" covers it all and implies abortion. Then goes on to make a poignant argument that 13% pregnancy deaths are due to unsafe abortions, so clearly it's a huge issue and if we're going to do something at all, it has to be discussed. We can't just stick our fingers in our ears and go lalalalala because it's an icky issue that doesn't make people feel too good.

Yeah yeah that's all good....why won't she just say it loud and say it proud? Why does she instead say...

"No, I think that there is no need to mention abortion,"

And instead, call it, "reproductive services"... a term more often used by vets and professional cattle breeders and other firms associated with artficial insemenation...

http://www.vetreproservices.com/ https://www.pacrepro.com/index.php http://www.uconnfertility.com/

How is it Anti American?

1) The use of right wing as a perjorative linked to the name without a title..is rude in itself. Presidents, even ex-presidents are refered to as President Carter, President Bush....

2) Failed right wing: Millions of Americans who voted for that administration might be a little miffed at being called "failed right wingers"

3) The perceived need by the Liberals to frame a Canadian policy in American terms is not only insulting to Americans, it insults the intelligence of Canadians. It is a Liberal trait that wraps their patriotism with how they are not Americans. It is the trait of the inferior.

Good response. In watching all the news on this today, it was clear that the Liberals tried to toss an abortion grenade at the government. It didn't go off and when they went to inspect the pin, it blew up in their face. That's because Canadians, even though deeply divided on the issue of abortion, have been at "quiet peace" for many years. I think you'll see the Libs lose a percent or two in the polls over this one. Women especially might be upset to see such a sensitive issue being used as a political hot potatoe.

Yeah yeah that's all good....why won't she just say it loud and say it proud? Why does she instead say...

And instead, call it, "reproductive services"... a term more often used by vets and professional cattle breeders and other firms associated with artficial insemenation...

http://www.vetreproservices.com/ https://www.pacrepro.com/index.php http://www.uconnfertility.com/

Who cares. It's not like she ducked. This is all semantics. Then she goes and specifically mentions abortion as a part of it and the 13% of pregnancy death statistic which you ignored.

The fact is that unsafe abortion is a huge issue. If Canadians don't want to do it, we should ditch maternal health altogether. Canada should be putting forth it's full effort on a chosen issue, not pick something that's all warm and fuzzy. Clearly this was supposed to win votes with the Conservatives thinking they wouldn't be called out on some of the most vital issues concerning maternal health because it's ideologically contrary to the base's belief. When it was called out, the morons screamed out that the opposition is Anti-American. What a clown show.

Good response. In watching all the news on this today, it was clear that the Liberals tried to toss an abortion grenade at the government. It didn't go off and when they went to inspect the pin, it blew up in their face. That's because Canadians, even though deeply divided on the issue of abortion, have been at "quiet peace" for many years. I think you'll see the Libs lose a percent or two in the polls over this one. Women especially might be upset to see such a sensitive issue being used as a political hot potatoe.

Women are overwhelimingly pro-choice and traditionally vote for people who defend it. I don't know too many women who aren't in favour of this. It's a vote getter. Sorry.

That's because Canadians, even though deeply divided on the issue of abortion, have been at "quiet peace" for many years.

I am one of those Canadians, who, while comfortable with the right for a woman to chose I am personally opposed to abortion. I would not infringe on someones choice, but I would have no problem with abortion being a user pay service for most clients, while only those whose medical condition or the state of the fetus would make an abortion a desired choice.

While I would not want an abortion forced upon someone, no one should be forced to pay for someone else's abortion either.

But I have no interest in opening the debate and tabling those options.

Is that the new platform?

I don't know...some think nutrition is more conducive to matenal health than dead fetuses....

You're still ignoring the 13% statistic. Then again, it's a tactic of yours not to acknowledge something that doesn't jive with your argument. Keep trying to spin. It looks good on you.

If Canadians don't want to do it, we should ditch maternal health altogether. .

Ah, so 13% of women who die that seek abortions whether they're legal or not, don't matter simply because you and your party don't want to deal with the issue. Ah, I get how this works.

Clearly..if we can't impose our values...either abortion is on the table or then to hell with it....That how it works for you it seems.

Clearly..if we can't impose our values...either abortion is on the table or then to hell with it....That how it works for you it seems.

My point was, why would the government bother when it's a shitty half assed policy to begin with. They should've focused on something else rather than spending so much time to try and create a policy that would win them votes yet do nothing in terms of one of the biggest issues surrounding maternal health.

Edited by nicky10013

I'm not baiting and switching anything. I've been clear in my argument since the beginning. You just admitted you don't have an argument. Am I missing something here?

Yeah....your back story.

Who cares. It's not like she ducked. This is all semantics.

"No, I think that there is no need to mention abortion," she told reporters. "I mean, full reproductive services is very clear. I think that . . . termination of pregnancy is a very difficult thing for lots of people, but it needs to be there

Bait and switch....needs to be there....it's just that terminating lives is the reproductive service that dares not mention its name.

Edited by M.Dancer

Yeah....your back story.

Bait and switch....needs to be there....it's just that terminating lives is the reproductive service that dares not mention its name.

You're the one playing with semantics. She's a doctor and the term reproductive services to her equates with abortion. You're the one demanding she come out and support abortion as if she's not going to be re-elected if she does. How ridiculous.

You're the one playing with semantics. She's a doctor and the term reproductive services to her equates with abortion. You're the one demanding she come out and support abortion as if she's not going to be re-elected if she does. How ridiculous.

Well that's great. Why can't she as a doctor say it in layman's language?

No need to answer, we both know why she wants to stay far away fromn the A word....bait and switch

Well that's great. Why can't she as a doctor say it in layman's language?

No need to answer, we both know why she wants to stay far away fromn the A word....bait and switch

If you think she's afraid to, you're politically illiterate. The party has mentioned abortion more than enough times already to induce a backlash. As far as I'm aware, it hasn't happened yet. Pro-choice Liberals aren't going to lose their seat because of this, so keep peddling your conspiracy theories. They don't make sense. If anything, this will win back women which is a demographic the Liberals have to have in order to win.

" If anything, this will win back women which is a demographic the Liberals have to have in order to win."

I'll go you one farther: it's not even a case of women being drawn to the Liberal party. Their own conduct wrt this question has been tepid, and for many of them, just shallow gaming. It is much more a case of women being forced away from the Conservatives. Whatever else I (and many like me) might base a vote on, I cannot-- simply CAN NOT give my vote to someone who would restrict that essential right to first dibs on ones own body, if they could get away with it.

It's an ascendant question.

Your argument, or lack of same.....clearly demonstrates why abortion (or "reproductive services" or "all encompassing Family Planning") should not be politicized. It is a polarizing issue and it takes away from many basic issues of Maternal Health that can be addressed whole-heartedly around the world.

.....press 3 for Reproductive Services

And while some Liberals maintained the motion wasn't about abortion, Szabo said the reference to Bush's so-called gag rule "was all about abortion."

A new poll released Tuesday may help explain the political bafflegab of both the Conservatives and the Liberals.

The Canadian Press Harris-Decima survey suggested overwhelming support for providing contraceptives to the world's poorest women, with 74 per cent in favour and 21 per cent opposed.

But respondents were split almost evenly on the question of paying for abortions, with nays outstripping yeas 48-46.

Almost two-thirds of self-identified Conservative supporters in the poll (61-33) were against funding overseas abortions, while a majority of supporters of all the other federal parties were in favour.

The survey also suggested big regional variations, with pluralities in favour in B.C., Ontario and Quebec, and majorities firmly opposed in the Prairie provinces and Atlantic Canada.

Link: http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/100323/health/health_abortion_battle_back_1

Edited by Keepitsimple

Your argument, or lack of same.....clearly demonstrates why abortion (or "reproductive services" or "all encompassing Family Planning") should not be politicized. It is a polarizing issue and it takes away from many basic issues of Maternal Health that can be addressed whole-heartedly around the world. CTV showed an interesting poll the other day and I apologize in advance for not having a link. When asked whether Government should be involved in funding abortion within Canada. 46% were for it, 48% against. For those who voted Conservative, 35% were for it, 55% were against. For those who voted Liberal, 55% were for it, 35% against. I'll leave it for speculation as to how Canadians would feel about our Government funding abortions in other countries.

.....press 3 for Reproductive Services

in Harper Conservative bizzaro world, policy by purposeful omission does not constitute politicization.. hey Simple?