Equalization payments

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion, it is a bad system that does not function to the benefit of all citizens. It is a leftist solution that has resulted in higher taxation levels and a larger bureaucracy. It punishes the citizens of successful provinces and rewards the citizens of provinces with less productive effort.

As someone who grew up in a poorer part on NS, I am a strong supporter of equalization. Where I grew up, my parent s and others paid a lot of money to educate and raise my generation. Now we are grown up, most people I went to school with have moved to either Ontario or Alberta to continue on successful careers. Both Ontario and Alberta have benefited greatly from this, by having highly skilled workforce from an educational system that can be trusted. Also, the population where I grew up is down 20+% since I was a kid.

Without equalization, I would be less trusting of people educated in the poorer provinces. Plus, my parents were supportive of us leaving the region, which may have not been the case if leaving NS meant that they invested so much money into the future, and the future brought sub-par healthcare (which I feel Canada in general already has as soon as you turn 18).

I always figured Albertan were against equalization as a result of, despite their provincial government spending like drucken sailors, have worst social systems than the rest of Canada. And the provincial government plays the blame Ottawa game. Similar to the Ultra rich Arab kings tell there impoverished people to hate the Jews. Albertan should be upset about how much they pay in taxes, though you shouldn't look to Ottawa as the only, or main cause.

Although, when I live in Alberta the roads were smooth, unlike the wash board I drive on when I go east of Ontario. Your province is a poster child for why to vote Liberal for 10 years now...