Palin Races for Bottom in Amazing Display of Hypocrisy

An amazing display of GOP hypocrisy:

JANUARY 26, 2010 Chief of Staff Draws Fire From Left as Obama Falters

By PETER WALLSTEN

WASHINGTON—President Barack Obama's liberal backers have a long list of grievances. The Guantanamo Bay prison is still open. Health care hasn't been transformed. And Wall Street banks are still paying huge bonuses.

But they are directing their anger less at Mr. Obama than at the man who works down the hall from him. Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel, they say, is the prime obstacle to the changes they thought Mr. Obama's election would bring.

Some observers say Rahm Emanuel is losing favor with liberal Democrats. Could his job be on the line? Kelsey Hubbard talks with WSJ's Peter Wallsten about the future of President Obama's chief of staff.

The friction was laid bare in August when Mr. Emanuel showed up at a weekly strategy session featuring liberal groups and White House aides. Some attendees said they were planning to air ads attacking conservative Democrats who were balking at Mr. Obama's health-care overhaul.

"F—ing retarded," Mr. Emanuel scolded the group, according to several participants. He warned them not to alienate lawmakers whose votes would be needed on health care and other top legislative items.

The antipathy reflects deep dissatisfaction on the Democratic left with Mr. Obama's first year in office, and represents a fracturing of the relationship between the president and the political base that mobilized to elect him. A little more than one year ago, Mr. Obama's victory led some to predict an era of Democratic dominance.

(snip)

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps the part of my brain managing humour is temporarily offline, but I feel like you're trying to make some sort of joke that's going over my head. What does this story have to do with the GOP or Palin?

Edited by Gabriel

Perhaps the part of my brain managing humour is temporarily offline, but I feel like you're trying to make some sort of joke that's going over my head. What does this story have to do with the GOP or Palin?

Oops. Palin called for Emanuel's firing today.

Oops. Palin called for Emanuel's firing today.

I still don't get it. You're gonna have to spell this out for me. Regarding Palin's criticisms of Emanuel's statements chastising his fellow Democrats, although his statements were inappropriate and hurtful to some folks connected to mental disabilities, it's hardly the same as using the n-word.

I still don't get it. You're gonna have to spell this out for me. Regarding Palin's criticisms of Emanuel's statements chastising his fellow Democrats, although his statements were inappropriate and hurtful to some folks connected to mental disabilities, it's hardly the same as using the n-word.

I goofed on the opening post. I quoted the article language regarding the Obama administration fandango, in particular, its failure to govern on behalf of all Americans, not just doctrinaire liberals.

What I meant to criticize was Palin's involving herself by criticizing Rohm's language. The fact is that one of the problems with the left is its insistence on banalizing language, for example, by using words such as "militants" instead of savages. The focus should not be on Rohm's choice of words; it should be on the fact that the Obama administration is detached from reality and does not represent the country. Excerpt from article about Palin's criticism below (link to article).

Palin: Rahm Emanuel should be axed for 'retarded' comment

Last Updated: 5:16 AM, February 3, 2010

Posted: 11:55 AM, February 2, 2010

Former Alaska governor and 2008 Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin posted a note on her Facebook page late Monday calling for President Obama to fire his Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel for comments he made that she said were offensive to children with developmental disabilities.

In the Facebook posting entitled “Are You Capable of Decency, Rahm Emanuel?,” Palin called for his firing for comments attributed to him in a Jan. 26 Wall Street Journal article where he called plans by liberal groups to run ads against moderate Democrats "F—ing retarded."

“I would ask the president to show decency in this process by eliminating one member of that inner circle, Mr. Rahm Emanuel, and not allow Rahm’s continued indecent tactics to cloud efforts,” Palin said in the posting.

“Just as we’d be appalled if any public figure of Rahm’s stature ever used the “N-word” or other such inappropriate language, Rahm’s slur on all God’s children with cognitive and developmental disabilities – and the people who love them – is unacceptable, and it’s heartbreaking,” the post continued.

I guess anybody who doesn't represent you doesn't represent the country.

And language is meaningless unless it's language you don't like. Say, if Rahm Emanuel (in a moment of self-loathing) said something nasty about Jews or 9/11 cowards or white people. You'd probably be thinking it's appropriate to call for his resignation.

Personally, I think everyone knew Rahm Emanuel was an inappropriate speaker when they hired him.

although his statements were inappropriate and hurtful to some folks connected to mental disabilities, it's hardly the same as using the n-word.

Primarily because the mentally retarded are far less likely to stage a riot in response.

-k

Primarily because the mentally retarded are far less likely to stage a riot in response.

-k

Without question it's an insensitive statement. Apparently Rahm's undergrad is in communications, too. Mentally handicapped folks are less capable than the rest of us in many ways, so it there's some "justification" behind the use of the term "retarded" to describe a bad decision. It's not the same as suggesting someone is less able simply because of their skin. Know what I mean? It's insensitive, but it's not comparable to hate-speech like using the n-word.

Edited by Gabriel

No, it's exactly the same. But so what? Sticks and stones...

I just explained one way in which it isn't the same. Another way in which insensitive use of the term 'retarded' when trying to insult people for doing something one sees are stupid is different from usage of the n-word is the loaded history of the n-word and other historical events it's associated with. You can say what you want, but I don't think Palin's comparison here is valid. There's no need to draw such a comparison, either. Chastise Rahm, let him apologize, and move on. I doubt his words are evidence of some sort of deeper animosity he harbours towards mentally handicapped people. Drawing parallels between his insensitive remarks and usage of the n-word is just overexaggeration designed to enhance emotional response to he criticism.

Are you suggesting it's hate speech to say certain races are less able than others at doing certain things?

Well, perhaps there are some legitimate examples of where this is true. I can't think of any off the top of my head. Generally speaking though, saying that certain races/ethnicities are less able than others one one thing or another is definitely prejudice. I don't known if 'hate speech' is some sort of legal term, but as I understand it, deliberate negative prejudice towards a race or ethnicity or gender or sexual orientation or creed or religion or whatever, is likely hate speech.

I'm not fan of sarah Palin, but she has every right to be angry. I doubt that any other parent of a child with Down's Syndrome would feel otherwise unless they're very thick=skinned.

I agree, I just don't think it's on par with usage of the n-word.

I guess anybody who doesn't represent you doesn't represent the country.

And language is meaningless unless it's language you don't like. Say, if Rahm Emanuel (in a moment of self-loathing) said something nasty about Jews or 9/11 cowards or white people. You'd probably be thinking it's appropriate to call for his resignation.

Personally, I think everyone knew Rahm Emanuel was an inappropriate speaker when they hired him.

You're missing my point.

The G.O.P. is making a career of accusing the Democrats of keeping to political correctness,and not taking appropriate action in the name of political correctness. Palin is showing rank hypocrisy by calling for Emanuel's resignation on what amounts to a politically incorrect statement.

You're missing my point.

The G.O.P. is making a career of accusing the Democrats of keeping to political correctness,and not taking appropriate action in the name of political correctness. Palin is showing rank hypocrisy by calling for Emanuel's resignation on what amounts to a politically incorrect statement.

I disagree. I don't think it's just politically incorrect to use the term retarded. Especially as a public official. I think it's wrong. That being said, I get a bit sick of people's private conversations being made public for everyone to see/hear.

But I'm glad to see that Republicans are holding the Dems to the same kind of standard the Dems have set for them over the past couple of decades. I see they're finding their own medicine a bit bitter tasting. What's that phrase again? Oh yeah, you reap what you sow.

Edited by Shady

Guest American Woman

I disagree. I don't think it's just politically incorrect to use the term retarded. ... I think it's wrong.

I did a quick search of the term "retarded" on this forum and the results: Your results for the term retarded limited to the first 200 * (8 Pages)

This is from the first page alone:

That is complete bullshit and pure projection. His campaign theme was smaller government, killing Obamacare, and keeping taxes low. Only somebody mentally retarded...

Just when I think you can't say something even more retarded than before....

This idea is frankly, retarded. ....

....If Chavez would operate on good faith, he could attract large numbers of foreign investors, the way top economic country's do. If he would allow Venezuela to develop its own free-market capitalist economy, and with the natural resources they already have, Venezuela could quickly become a vibrant economy, with a much higher standard of living. Heck, they could be the South American version of Alberta, but on a much greater scale. Unfortunately though, they have a retarded monkey running the show ....
...If you're complaining that Harper has used it too much. Then fine. That's a reasonable argument. But to argue that it's somehow undemocratic is frankly, retarded. ....

While I personally don't care for the term "retarded," it's not the same as using the "N word." I doubt calling people Niggers would be tolerated here the way calling people "retarded" is.

Edited by American Woman

Yep. I use the term all the time. In fact, I think you mentioning my use of it is, well, retarded. I'm not a public official. Like I said, I think it's wrong for public officials to be throwing around such terms.

Also, I never claimed that using the term retarded was akin to using the n-word. I don't think it's even close. But it's definitely a derogatory term.

Guest American Woman

Yep. I use the term all the time. In fact, I think you mentioning my use of it is, well, retarded. I'm not a public official. Like I said, I think it's wrong for public officials to be throwing around such terms.

No, you didn't. You said you don't think it's just politically incorrect .... you think it's wrong .... especially for politicians. Not "just for politicians." That means you think it's wrong, period; just more wrong when it's a politician.

Guest American Woman
Gabriel, on 03 February 2010 - 08:10 PM, said: It's insensitive, but it's not comparable to hate-speech like using the n-word.

No, it's exactly the same. But so what? Sticks and stones...

So would you use the word "nigger" yourself?

I admit, when I use the term retarded, it's in a derogatory way. I'm also being politically incorrect. I have that freedom. I'm not a politician. It's not my job to represent people. So I can characterize Obama's economic policies as totally retarded, and not give a damn. Which they are by the way.

OBAMA'S ECONOMIC POLICIES ARE RETARDED!

I did a quick search of the term "retarded" on this forum and the results: Your results for the term retarded limited to the first 200 * (8 Pages)

This is from the first page alone:

*cut*

:lol: Wow. Come on, Shady, for everyone's benefit including your own, make a commitment to stop using that term. You gotta admit that's kinda hypocritical of you to criticize Emanuel for using a term that seems to be at the forefront of your vernacular. I think we can all have a good laugh about this one.

Edited by Gabriel

Guest American Woman
Gabriel, on 03 February 2010 - 02:46 PM, said: although his statements were inappropriate and hurtful to some folks connected to mental disabilities, it's hardly the same as using the n-word.

Is that why you use the word "retarded" so often (Your search for the term retarded returned 27 results ), but not the word "nigger?" <_<

You gotta admit that's kinda hypocritical of you to criticize Emanuel for using a term that seems to be at the forefront of your vernacular.

Exactly. Seems as if there's definitely some hypocrisy going on in this thread.

Ditto that. It's all part of the continual hyped up smear campaign that is politics. These kind of shenanigans are designed to target the lowest common denominator, the politically disconnected, marginally educated voter. IE, The political retards :ph34r: