Canadian Identity: un-American

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who's the dillusioned one? In Canada we have Employment Insurance, we have Workmans Comp, we have Social Security and we give healthcare to everyone not just those over 65. Seriously do you know anything about Canada?

And the US has none of this? What does Canada provide over and above the US other than its poor excuse for health care. We pay for it, its not free!

Guest TrueMetis

And the US has none of this? What does Canada provide over and above the US other than its poor excuse for health care. We pay for it, its not free!

Jesus's Christ you're stupid. You said the U.S. was better because it has all those things, then I said we have all of them, and now your acting like you never said that, "and the US had none of this" Obviously they do I was responding to a post were you talked about them. As for us paying for it, no shit but then so does the U.S., are you really that stupid?

Jesus's Christ you're stupid. You said the U.S. was better because it has all those things, then I said we have all of them, and now your acting like you never said that, "and the US had none of this" Obviously they do I was responding to a post were you talked about them. As for us paying for it, no shit but then so does the U.S., are you really that stupid?

The only dumbass is you. Why don't you try reading peoples posts. Someone posted Canada has more benefits than the US and I disputed that and then you jumped in like the jackass you are. You are dumb and an idiot. READ If you know how to.

Maternity leave for one. An American on another site I frequent couldn't believe that women here get a year. Our EI and their UI are not very alike....neither are our provincial WCBs.

You should look at the fine print for mat leave. Although the law says the employer is suppose to save your job for you to go back too I have known cases where the employer refused to give the women her job back. The way EI works is if you collect for mat leave its as if you were laid off and you are now required to requalify for EI again. In this situation a women in Canada will have exhausted her EI, has no job, and now has to provide for a newborn. That's the kind of Canada we have.

Uh huh....whatever.

True, I have know of such a case. Fortunatley for her the Father of the Baby supported her. You can't rely on the Conservatives to protect women from this shallow abuse by employers. At least in the US they have legal mechanisms in place to sue and get compensated accordingly. In Canada good luck getting justice.

Guest TrueMetis

The only dumbass is you. Why don't you try reading peoples posts. Someone posted Canada has more benefits than the US and I disputed that and then you jumped in like the jackass you are. You are dumb and an idiot. READ If you know how to.

You said we have none of the social services like the U.S. even though we do and I posted as such, then you go on saying shit like "and the U.S. has none of this" even I didn't say the U.S. didn't have them, then talk about how we pay for it, which is obvious the money has to come from somewhere and it is payed for in the U.S. by tax payers to so it is pointless to say so. Dumbass.

Screw it there is no possible way to have a real conversation with you, ignored

Edited by TrueMetis

Guest American Woman
Maternity leave for one. An American on another site I frequent couldn't believe that women here get a year. Our EI and their UI are not very alike....neither are our provincial WCBs.

A comment about this -- first of all, a woman has had to have worked long enough to collect the maternity leave. For another, as has been pointed out, it's from your taxes, so it's not a "gift;" it's more or less the government giving what you've given/will be giving in the form of taxes throughout your work life. I suppose if Americans saved what they don't pay in higher taxes throughout their lives, it would amount to somewhat the same thing, except those who don't have babies wouldn't have to pay for those who do. Furthermore, since we pay less taxes, our paychecks are bigger, so the one working spouse is making more, perhaps making it easier for the other to stay home even without reimbursement. One last thought, if an American wants to go back to work rather than stay home, they haven't paid the taxes for nothing since they aren't "losing" the maternity leave.

I'm not saying maternity leave is bad, I'm just saying it's not black-and-white; that not everyone would see it as a 'plus.' I'm just throwing this in because sometimes it's easy to look at these things and think "how nice!" but if one were forced to pay into it through higher taxes, they might not be as thrilled. They may, for example, chose to go back to work to make more money for a down payment on a house, which will appreciate in value and be money in their pocket, too. So in other words, there's more freedom of 'choice' if one has a higher net pay.

Perhaps the woman who can't believe Canadians get a full year would think differently if she were hit with the full realization that she and her spouse would have to pay higher taxes (ie: receive smaller paychecks) for the rest of their lives in order to receive this benefit.

Again, I'm not knocking it. Just throwing out some thoughts.

Who's the dillusioned one? In Canada we have Employment Insurance, we have Workmans Comp, we have Social Security and we give healthcare to everyone not just those over 65. Seriously do you know anything about Canada?

We have Unemployment benefits and Workman's comp, too, as well as Social Security. And for clarification purposes, the government doesn't give healthcare to "just those over 65."

Edited by American Woman

Guest TrueMetis

We have Unemployment benefits and Workman's comp, too, as well as Social Security. And for clarification purposes, the government doesn't give healthcare to "just those over 65."

I know I wasn't arguing the America didn't.

You said we have none of the social services like the U.S. even though we do and I posted as such, then you go on saying shit like "and the U.S. has none of this" even I didn't say the U.S. didn't have them, then talk about how we pay for it, which is obvious the money has to come from somewhere and it is payed for in the U.S. by tax payers to so it is pointless to say so. Dumbass.

Screw it there is no possible way to have a real conversation with you, ignored

You should read the prior posts. Someone asserted Canada provides a better social safety net than the US. I refuted that and you jumped in obviously without reading prior posts. Not only did you jump in you proceeded to twist around what I was saying.

Other than Canada's Health care what else does Canada have over the US to brag about? This thread awaits your beacon of light.

:lol: Oh, that is just too damn funny! The person who's capacity to compose a lucid contention is disabled by his inability to recollect his own statements is calling someone else a poopy dumb idiot! :lol: Oh.. Oh! It's just too ironic!

What are you abondoning your insistents the UK cannot revisit legislation pertaining to Canada? You insist since the establishement of statue of Westminister the Monarch has been irrelevant to Canada. :lol::lol::lol: Yeah, I guess you better to Newfoundland the Queen had no business joining Newfoundland to Canada and they are free to take their oil and fisheries and go their merry way.

Another Distinct difference between being an American and a Canadian. American's are more polite and truthful.

Umm Americans are more truthful absolutely, some would say to a fault. But being polite means you are generally being untruthful. Canadians are polite and make regular use of please and thank you.

I travel to the US often for my job, one of the first times I was out at a restaurant in Memphis TN, when I placed my order I said.

"Can I please have the pulled pork sandwich."

The waitress replied "Well of course ya can have it! But do ya want it?"

I have since adapted how I order to be "I want" To me this seem impolite but it's the way most Americans place order.

Americans are more direct, but certainly not more polite.

Umm Americans are more truthful absolutely, some would say to a fault. But being polite means you are generally being untruthful. Canadians are polite and make regular use of please and thank you.

I travel to the US often for my job, one of the first times I was out at a restaurant in Memphis TN, when I placed my order I said.

I have since adapted how I order to be "I want" To me this seem impolite but it's the way most Americans place order.

I to was in Tenessee and I found the people Friendly and any store I went to helpful. You don't get the chip on your shoulder attitude down there as you do in Canada. Whenever you go to a store in Canada they act with an attitude of why are you bothering me.

:lol::lol::lol: Yeah, I guess you better to Newfoundland the Queen had no business joining Newfoundland to Canada and they are free to take their oil and fisheries and go their merry way.

Arguing with you is like arguing with a (highly stereotyped) Newfie in a bar.

Another Distinct difference between being an American and a Canadian. American's are more polite and truthful. Canadians are dishonest, untrustworthy, and will sell out anyone and everyone. A nation of Backstabbers. Canada is this way because of the conservative party.

Before you were discussing the corrupt Liberals. Make up your mind.

She was kidding around with you. That's my sense of humor (not humour) too.

And people like myself especially so. I tend not to be particularly nice or polite. Edited by jbg