Benoît Labonté and Canadian Federalism

It is at times like this that I favour Quebec independance. The federal Supreme Court may grant the Quebec government one year to rejig once again Quebec education language laws, but nothing beats two solitudes - on an issue that matters - to see the folly of a bilingual state.

While corruption in Montreal may seem distant, complex and even stereotypical, English-Canada may come to understand the gravity of this story. Let me draw some federal connections.

----

Benoît Labonté was a Special Assistant to Paul Martin when he was Finance Minister. (In bureaucratic terms, Labonté was a political member of Martin`s cabinet staff.) Then, Labonté went on to become Chief of Staff to John Manley when he was minister responsible for the Bureau of Economic Development (Quebec). This was the late 1990s, during the sponsorship kickbacks to the federal Liberal Party.

Then, Labonté returned to Montreal and worked for the federally funded World Trade Office of Montreal and later the Montreal Chamber of Commerce. Labonté is a federalist.

In his book "Hell or High Water", Paul Martin said this about Labonté in defence of the accusation that PM Martin had too many anglophones in the PMO:

"The Quebec media had long complained about the fact that my entourage was mainly anglophone, and that I was getting advice only from outside Quebec. This was just wrong. Montreal is less than two hours away from Ottawa, and throughout my years as Minister Sheila and I never moved our home, continuing to Montreal every chance we had. I was in continuous contact with such people as... and of course with my two former legislative assistants Benoit Labonté and Claude Dauphin, both of whom are now councillors for the city of Montreal."
Hell or High Water

Labonté entered municipal politics, ran with Gerald Tremblay, then "crossed the floor" and in the middle of this municipal election camapign, he was accused of meeting Tony Accurso.

Who is Tony Accurso?

On April 7, two Revenue Canada officials were arrested at the agency's offices in Montreal and interviewed by the RCMP.

This is the culmination of a Revenue Canada routine tax audit that gradually increased in scope once officials from the tax agency found some of their own internal documents in the hands of an accountant working for a private firm owned by a man called Francesco Bruno.

It’s alleged that two ‘inactive’ companies, 3703436 Canada Inc., and Entretien Torrelli Inc., owned by Francesco Bruno, were used to hide millions of dollars in a fraud scheme involving major construction firms in Quebec.

Revenue Canada believes that between 2005 and 2007, companies owned by construction magnate Tony Accurso funnelled millions to these two ‘inactive’ companies and the Revenue Canada employee and a colleague falsified a tax audit, enabling Mr Bruno to then send $1.7-million to Switzerland and the Bahamas. No charges have been laid, and none of the allegations have been proved in court.

Link - 9 April 2009

Alain Gravel and Marie-Maude Denis of Radio-Canada are credited with investigations into corruption in the Quebec construction industry but, call me a conspiracy theorist, I see the hand of the federal government (specifically Stephen Harper) here. Jean-Pierre Blackburn is Minister of National Revenue.

------

In his interview with Radio-Canada, Labonte made two direct accusations/statements: first, he said that it is a regular practice in Quebec to circumvent the $1000/person party contribution rule by using "borrowed names". IOW, corporations needing goivernment favours give $1000 to employees who then "donate" to a party. Second, Labonte said that it was common practice for recipients of government subsidies to return "kickbacks" (3% of the subsidy) to the political party, politicians or senior civil servants.

In effect, Labonte is describing Adscam - with a few variations.

To me, it was surprising when John Gomery chose to associate himself with Richard Bergeron, the unlikely third place Montreal mayoral candidate. Of his various faults, Bergeron cannot be accused of receiving kickbacks. Perhaps Gomery saw this association as his way to atone.

Edited by August1991

Why this would make you favour Quebec independence is completely beyond me. This says nothing about Canada in general. It does seem to say a great deal about you though.
Firstly, this is a major issue in Quebec (French Canada) and yet no one in English Canada knows anything about it. We are two solitides.

Secondly, the roots of this corruption stem from the federal Liberal Party - or rather, within the small group of people who consider themselves the "natural governing elite".

----

Smallc, the simple fact that you ask me about Quebec independance rather than discuss Labonté's assertions makes my point.

Why this would make you favour Quebec independence is completely beyond me. This says nothing about Canada in general. It does seem to say a great deal about you though.

For someone who values a person's right to choose, saying he wants to support independance because some people are trying to exercise their right to choose is beyond hypocrisy.

Firstly, this is a major issue in Quebec (French Canada) and yet no one in English Canada knows anything about it. We are two solitides.

So I didn't see a story about this on The National tonight....Interesting. I didn't realize I was hallucinating. I think I'll check myself into the Regina ER nearest me.

Secondly, the roots of this corruption stem from the federal Liberal Party - or rather, within the small group of people who consider themselves the "natural governing elite".

It also has to do with the Quebec Liberal Party and the Montreal municipal government. Nice try making this into something it's not.

Smallc, the simple fact that you ask me about Quebec independence rather than discuss Labonté's assertions makes my point.

Only because you brought it up out of nowhere. Maybe if you'd stick to the actual story, I wouldn't have to respond to the useless part.

Smallc, I don't want to pick a fight with you but I do want to respond to your posts.

So I didn't see a story about this on The National tonight....Interesting. I didn't realize I was hallucinating. I think I'll check myself into the Regina ER nearest me.
Did you watch The National? And they didn't report this story? To me, that's news. I rarely watch TV but I watched RDI and the French CBC this evening. This story dominated.
It also has to do with the Quebec Liberal Party and the Montreal municipal government. Nice try making this into something it's not.
I'm not making this into something it's not.

This story concerns the federal Liberal Party. I think that if you're a federalist, it is also how the federal Liberal Party has abused federalism.

Let me try again to explain this to you Smallc.

I open a thread about a complex subject, providing federal links, noting that no one in English Canada is discussing this.

Your response is to ask why I favour Quebec independance.

-----

Smallc, as I say, I have no desire to pick a fight with you.

Like many voters in Montreal, I am in a quandary. I think that our quandary has broader implications to Canada at large.

Smallc, I don't want to pick a fight with you but I do want to respond to your posts.

Too late, you had me with the separatism.

Did you watch The National? And they didn't report this story? To me, that's news. I rarely watch TV but I watched RDI and the French CBC this evening. This story dominated.

Yes, they did report the story. My sarcasm must not have translated well. The story is alive and well in 'English Canada'.

This story concerns the federal Liberal Party. I think that if you're a federalist, it is also how the federal Liberal Party has abused federalism.

I most definitely am a federalist. This story concerns far more than the Liberal party of Canada.

I open a thread about a complex subject, providing federal links, noting that no one in English Canada is discussing this.

Yes, people are discussing it. It isn't getting a great deal of play though. You want to know why? Because it's a provincial story. It gets no more play than a story about British Columbia or Alberta would get....in fact, it probably gets more. There are other things that go on in Canada besides those that happen in Quebec.

Your response is to ask why I favour Quebec independance.

You brought it up...and I'm still not sure why.

Like many voters in Montreal, I am in a quandary. I think that our quandary has broader implications to Canada at large.

Montrealers as a whole have certainly never wanted to separate, and you can take that to the bank. They're probably angry about the fraud in the Construction sector though.

----

Smallc, the simple fact that you ask me about Quebec independance rather than discuss Labonté's assertions makes my point.

I am a little confused here. How will separation end this sort of dirty dealing in Montreal? Do you think the Montreal Mafia, the biker gangs and all the other mobsters that have called the place home for decades will suddenly leave?

Because it's a provincial story.
No, it's not.

And here's a test of Canadian federalism, Smallc: If this story comes to dominate English Canada media as it has French Canada media, then Canada is a country in the American sense. Or, if this story remains only a Quebec story, then Canada is a country like the equator - a geographic definition.

-----

Smallc, I hate your post hijack. This thread should not be about Quebec's place in Canada. Rather, I am curious to know what English Canadians think about this scandal in Quebec. In particular, what do they think about the scandal's connections to federal politicians?

Edited by August1991

No, it's not.

Yes, in fact, it is. You want this to be about federal Liberals because that's an obsession of yours.

If this story comes to dominate English Canada media as it has French Canada media, then Canada is a country in the American sense. Or, if this story remains only a Quebec story, then Canada is a country like the equator - a geographic definition.

I suppose that's your problem. Canada isn't either of those things. Canada is a federation of equal partners who all have their own distinct realities. Quebec isn't very different at all in this regard.

Edited by Smallc

I am a little confused here. How will separation end this sort of dirty dealing in Montreal? Do you think the Montreal Mafia, the biker gangs and all the other mobsters that have called the place home for decades will suddenly leave?
Confused Toadbrother?

First, you employ the stereotype that everything in Quebec is corrupt (and Ontario, Michigan, PEI or New Jersey is not?). Second, given your stereotype, if Quebec were separate, we could run our own affairs and with luck, be less corrupt - or at least, according to you, corrupt less the rest of Canada.

-----

Once again, IMV, this thread is not about Quebec independance. Rather, it is about the scandal in Montreal and its implications in federal politics.

I think that the federal Liberal Party is going to suffer. People like Gerald Tremblay and Jean Chretien have abused the federal tag in Quebec. Michael Ignatieff is a dishonest neophyte in this. Jean Charest is a dishonest sophisticate.

I think Stephen Harper has opened a Pandora's Box. Harper has certainly sent a message to many mayors in small towns in Quebec.

Edited by August1991

I give up; give it a break. I reckon Smallc that you are a small-minded English Canadian.

If you are a federalist, thank God that Canada is a big country. There is space for all.

Would the quebec media have covered the crocus scandal in MB, or Grant Devine's spending spree, or Ralph Klien's shenanigans?

Would the quebec media have covered the crocus scandal in MB, or Grant Devine's spending spree, or Ralph Klien's shenanigans?
Yes, if they had an effect on federal politics.

Make no mistake. English politics are well reported in Quebec.

------

But IMV this thread has a broader issue. Perhaps I'm wrong but I think the allegations of Benoît Labonté will affect Canadian federal politics.

I don't really see the broader implications for Canadian Federal Politics. As has been mentioned, this IS a provincial issue and doesn't yet have the staying power to dominate at the National level. Perhaps it will....but not now. But I would like to take the opportunity to take another whack at some of our Left-leaning media....if Benoit Labonte had previous Conservative connections, you could bet your house that The Star would be running the story as a "previous Conservative insider and advisor to Stephen Harper implicated in graft and kickbacks.......". But of course Mr. Lebonte is a Liberal connected to Paul Martin.....so things are pretty quiet on that front.

I give up; give it a break. I reckon Smallc that you are a small-minded English Canadian.

If you are a federalist, thank God that Canada is a big country. There is space for all.

I've read all your posts in this thread. I think you may not realize that you illustrate a difference in POV as old as Canada. You seem to think of the country as Quebec and TROC!

This story is indeed more of a provincial matter. As such, you might assume that it should receive half the attention of the national news. Yet to someone in Saskatchewan, it is on a par with stories not just from Quebec but from any other province. The story competes with "man bites dog" stories from PEI or Manitoba.

Also, Liberal corruption stories are no longer as big a deal as they once were. After Adscam, there is a widespread notion of "what else is new?" among the common people. It may not be entirely fair, but it is what it is. As for these stories coming from Quebec, we've been hearing this stuff since the days of Maurice Duplessis. So it is natural that they are not treated as "unexpected". Besides, "politician" is a bilingual word! ANY stories about ANY politician and corruption have gotten to be "old news".

Again, I find it interesting to see that "Canada is 50/50, Quebec and all the other anglo provinces" perspective. I can understand why Quebecois feel that way but I think they are being rather "provincial" (pardon the pun!) to think that Canadians in BC or Nfld. think the same way.

What's more, I don't follow your putting blame on Harper. It almost sounded like you blame him more than the Liberals! You seem to be saying that the only federalist choice in Quebec is the Liberals and if they are tainted then separation is the only option. If I've misunderstood you please clarify.

You mean like when Harper made the Queen induct Chretien into the Order of Merit as a way to devistate the Liberal Party?

This is the most idiotic of conspiracy theories. The Queen alone controls who becomes a member of the Order of Merit. None of her PMs do. If you have one shred of actual evidence, then provide it, otherwise it's simply a fiction.

Confused Toadbrother?

First, you employ the stereotype that everything in Quebec is corrupt (and Ontario, Michigan, PEI or New Jersey is not?). Second, given your stereotype, if Quebec were separate, we could run our own affairs and with luck, be less corrupt - or at least, according to you, corrupt less the rest of Canada.

Uh, no I didn't. But Montreal has a rather long history of rather open organized crime, much like Chicago.

I think you're confused, because you seem to be attributing views to me that I do not hold. Believe me, Montreal isn't the only city in Canada with this sort of a problem. Vancouver seems to be eclipsing it, and sooner or later I expect we're going to start seeing it leaking over into municipal politics. There's already a hint of corruption in the BC Legislature or the Virk Basi affair.

Believe me, I don't think Quebec is any worse than anywhere else. But I think it would be naive to the extreme to imagine the PQ and the other separatists taking Quebec out of Federation with the declaration "We'll clean up Montreal politics!"

I'm equally lost.

'There is massive corruption in Quebec politics' is the (old news) message. The federal implications are..... well... that some of the politics in Quebec is federal.

What are you trying to say that isn't already well known, and what makes this a federal, rather than a Quebec story?