Muslim advocates charge NYPD is racial profiling in Queens raids

jbg

BY Henrick Karoliszyn and Samuel Goldsmith

DAILY NEWS WRITERS

Updated Saturday, October 10th 2009, 4:52 PM

Recent terror raids in Queens have led to a spike in fear and racial profiling, Muslim advocates charge.

"People are scared," said Sultan Faiz, a leader at Abu Bakar Mosque in Queens. "People are fearful in our community."

Faiz said attendance at the mosque has plunged since the raids.

"Stop the raids," one sign read. "No racial or religious profiling," read another.

Yesha Mahmooda, an organizer with the South Asian immigrant rights group Desis Rising Up and Moving, said hundreds of community members have contacted her to report police profiling in recent weeks.

"They are very scared they are being surveilled," she said.

Organizers say Muslims in New York haven't been this scared since the months after 9/11, when some were subject to blatant discrimination across the country.

**************** (snip)

When I went to High Holy Day services at the two temples I belong to, security was heavy. There were police inside and outside the religious facility. I don't recall anyone minding being "surveilled". Even if the police came in for services we would have been happy to have them.

Query, why are these people afraid of being "surveilled"? One of life's mysteries.

I heard footage on the radio of some of the demonstrators being interviewed. They expressed a wish that the police show more "respect" in their investigative activities. I suggest an even trade; the Muslim community organizers (who I do not accuse of complicity or involvement in terror) suggest that the members of their community that do bomb show some "respect" in their targets, and at least make mass transit, tall buildings, religious facilities, schools or any non-military target off-limits. A fair proposal?

Edited by jbg

Query, why are these people afraid of being "surveilled"? One of life's mysteries.

I heard footage on the radio of some of the demonstrators being interviewed. They expressed a wish that the police show more "respect" in their investigative activities. I suggest an even trade; the Muslim community organizers (who I do not accuse of complicity or involvement in terror) suggest that the members of their community that do bomb show some "respect" in their targets, and at least make mass transit, tall buildings, religious facilities, schools or any non-military target off-limits. A fair proposal?

Sounds fair. Perhaps your Empire could also relocate its control and command centers away from civilian areas.

Sounds fair. Perhaps your Empire could also relocate its control and command centers away from civilian areas.

The US isn't an empire and US military forts already tend to be built away from urban areas...though urban sprawl has since surrounded some.