Will a Conservative Majority make the Bloc Irrelevant?

If you cut off all forms of Welfare to the political parties even the CPC are DEAD! If you want to pick and choose which form of Political Welfare you dislike, then the $1.95 loss would wipe out the Green Party.

If you get rid of the kickbacks to Donors, then many CPC and LPC donations would disappear as the contributor isn't getting their money back in Public Tax benefits.

I am in favour of killing it all. No tax credits because you donate to a political party.

This is wrong!!! Its a political party it's not a charity.

Max, the CPC and the NDP would survive without the $1.95 per vote. The LPC and the Greens would have some trouble as they do not raise a lot of money when compared to the CPC and the NDP per capita.

The CPC would be fine as our members are very active in the raising of funds and d0o a great job.

If you get rid of the kickbacks to Donors, then many CPC and LPC donations would disappear as the contributor isn't getting their money back in Public Tax benefits.

I am in favour of killing it all. No tax credits because you donate to a political party.

This is wrong!!! Its a political party it's not a charity.

I favour tax writeoffs... getting back less than you contribute in my mind is a poor kick back. Calling it a kick back is a bit over the top. And yes in a sense, they are charities....they work to improve Canada and don't make a profut.

I don't favour welfare, or my tax dollars subsisizing politics. Quite frankly, any party that can't raise funds on their own is tough titty.

Max, the CPC and the NDP would survive without the $1.95 per vote. The LPC and the Greens would have some trouble as they do not raise a lot of money when compared to the CPC and the NDP per capita.

The CPC would be fine as our members are very active in the raising of funds and d0o a great job.

But he has a good point. The real moneymaker for political parties is in the tax deductions that contributers pay. I say to hell with any form of taxpayer subsidization. Eliminate tax deductions for party donations. I'd go one step further and start taxing political donations. I don't think political parties have done their fair share in this time of economic uncertainty. They should pay their way just like anyone else.

I don't think political parties have done their fair share in this time of economic uncertainty. They should pay their way just like anyone else.
Ok. Does that mean you would lift all restrictions on the source of donations? i.e. would parties be then free to accept large corporate and union donations? The per vote funding is not ideal but it did allow the government to ban large donations from a single source and that does dilute the influence rich individuals/organizations can have over the process.

Ok. Does that mean you would lift all restrictions on the source of donations? i.e. would parties be then free to accept large corporate and union donations? The per vote funding is not ideal but it did allow the government to ban large donations from a single source and that does dilute the influence rich individuals/organizations can have over the process.

Absolutely. And they wouldn't be donations. They would be taxable.

But he has a good point. The real moneymaker for political parties is in the tax deductions that contributers pay. I say to hell with any form of taxpayer subsidization. Eliminate tax deductions for party donations. I'd go one step further and start taxing political donations. I don't think political parties have done their fair share in this time of economic uncertainty. They should pay their way just like anyone else.

The other parties would suffer from this the most as the CPC raise at least 5 times what the other parties do and 3 to 4 times as much as all the other parties combined.

The CPC would vote for this in a heartbeat but the other parties would go crazy and force an election.

All this without corporate/ union donations would be a boon for the Tories.

I don't think corporations/Unions hsould be allowed to donate huge sums of money as it leads to the government being for sale.

Edited by Mr.Canada

The other parties would suffer from this the most as the CPC raise at least 5 times what the other parties do and 3 to 4 times as much as all the other parties combined.

Raise more money, pay more taxes.

The CPC would vote for this in a heartbeat but the other parties would go crazy and force an election.

I doubt very much they'd vote for an elimination of a tax credit for political donations, and much less likely would they vote for their party to pay taxes on contributions.

I doubt very much they'd vote for an elimination of a tax credit for political donations, and much less likely would they vote for their party to pay taxes on contributions.

I believe they already proposed it in the last sitting...but it has since died.

Raise more money, pay more taxes.

Toad, how much ever it will hurt the Tories it will hurt the other parties much much more. It would pretty much destroy the Bloc and the Liberals and NDP would be badly wounded. Yeah, they would be freaking out big time. If the Tories want to trigger an election just need to include anything that cuts down on party funds in the next budget and all three would be all over it.

Cutting the $1.95 subsidy was actually a popular thing with a lot of Canadians so I don't think they'd mind it.

Edited by Mr.Canada

Conservative numbers are up in Quebec. They'll keep their seats and maybe get even more if the trend continues.

I just wonder what the reaction was today after in the House, Minster Fletcher, came out and said the Bloc either wasn't welcome in Ottawa or shouldn't be there. I just caught the end of the statement but the Bloc were angry!!!!!

They shouldn't say things like that. Every elected member has a right to sit in the House. They're guaranteed that right. Unless Fletcher is going to actually do something with his portfolio (that would be shocking) and change it....for the worse.

They shouldn't say things like that. Every elected member has a right to sit in the House. They're guaranteed that right. Unless Fletcher is going to actually do something with his portfolio (that would be shocking) and change it....for the worse.

Careful.....Topaz has a habit of getting the facts wrong....and no cites. I'mm wait for the news report because if that's what he said, the media will be all over it.

I just wonder what the reaction was today after in the House, Minster Fletcher, came out and said the Bloc either wasn't welcome in Ottawa or shouldn't be there. I just caught the end of the statement but the Bloc were angry!!!!!

What he said was that if the Bloc got their way and met every one of its goals it would have Zero seats in the House.

As they would be separate and no longer apart of Canada.