RIP Patrick Swayze

Melanie_

Basically, to me, he was one of those stars who would have me at least checking out a movie if he was in it.

He was made an honourary citizen of Winnipeg when he came to the city as a producer.

Long after he worked in the city, he was hailed as example of a complete gentleman and a person who pursued all things with passion.

Guest American Woman
He was made an honourary citizen of Winnipeg when he came to the city as a producer.

That's pretty cool-- what was he producing?

Long after he worked in the city, he was hailed as example of a complete gentleman and a person who pursued all things with passion.

Can't say that about all celebrities, hey? I always thought of him as a "gentleman," too. It must have meant a lot to him to have been received/remembered that way.

That's pretty cool-- what was he producing?

One Last Dance. It was a film with his wife in it. He spent quite a while in the city working on it and made a lasting impression.

Can't say that about all celebrities, hey? I always thought of him as a "gentleman," too. It must have meant a lot to him to have been received/remembered that way.

We have had our share of Hollywood movies that have been produced here including Whiteout, Horsemen and A Haunting in Connecticut in the last year alone. One Last Dance was filmed in 2003 and Swayze still stood out as a gentleman in the industry throughout that time.

Guest American Woman
One Last Dance. It was a film with his wife in it. He spent quite a while in the city working on it and made a lasting impression.

I've heard of that movie, of course, and assumed I'd seen it; but since learning it was filmed in Winnipeg, I wanted to watch the trailer again-- and I'm realizing that I've never seen it -- which is hard to believe, since I love the movies Swayze danced in because he was so good. Anyway, I'm going to rent it for sure this weekend. I assume you've seen it -- are there a lot of scenes that are recognizably Winnipeg?

We have had our share of Hollywood movies that have been produced here including Whiteout, Horsemen and A Haunting in Connecticut in the last year alone. One Last Dance was filmed in 2003 and Swayze still stood out as a gentleman in the industry throughout that time.

I didn't realize so many movies were filmed there. I knew a lot were filmed in Toronto, but this is news to me.

Did you by any chance get to see Swayze while he was there?

I've heard of that movie, of course, and assumed I'd seen it; but since learning it was filmed in Winnipeg, I wanted to watch the trailer again-- and I'm realizing that I've never seen it -- which is hard to believe, since I love the movies Swayze danced in because he was so good. Anyway, I'm going to rent it for sure this weekend. I assume you've seen it -- are there a lot of scenes that are recognizably Winnipeg?

The city was to play the part of New York but I certainly recognized everything and everyone.

I didn't realize so many movies were filmed there. I knew a lot were filmed in Toronto, but this is news to me.

There are usually two feature films going at the same time. We are no where near Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver but since 2003, these movies have shot in the city:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_TV_an...hot_in_Winnipeg

# Whiteout (2009) – filmed on location

# Horsemen (2009) – filmed on location

# The Haunting in Connecticut (2009) – filmed on location

# New in Town (2009) – filmed on location

# The Lookout (2007) – filmed on location

# Blue State (2007) – filmed on location

# Full of It (2007) – filmed on location

# The Good Life (2007) – filmed on location

# The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2006) – filmed on location

# The Constant Gardener (2005) – segments filmed in Winnipeg, Manitoba

# Capote (2005) – filmed on location

# Shall We Dance (2004) – filmed on location

# One Last Dance (2003) – filmed on location

We have probably done more visual effects than location work in recent years.

# Duplicity (2009) – special effects

# Journey to the Center of the Earth (2008) – special effects

# The X-Files: I Want to Believe (2008) – special effects

# Across The Universe (2007) – special effects

# Mr. Magorium’s Wonder Emporium (2007) – special effects

# Grindhouse (2007) – special effects

# Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (2007) – special effects

# Superman Returns (2006) – special effects

# Poseidon (2006) – special effects

# Firewall (2006) – special effects

# Silent Hill (2006) – special effects

Quite a few big stars over the years.

Did you by any chance get to see Swayze while he was there?

I saw him once in the back of the dance studio where they filmed. I'm sad to say at the time I saw him, he was smoking.

Edited by jdobbin

Guest American Woman

Thanks for the info, jdobbin. I have seen some of the movies you mentioned, and I'll pay closer attention to the scenery when watching the films currently being filmed. I had no idea so many movies were filmed in Winnipeg. It must be kind of cool to watch a movie and recognize the scenery from your 'hometown.'

• 1 month later...
Patrick Swayze- a Good Guy

Ya all those movies were great but, you all are forgetting the movie that really launched his career; Red Dawn. This was a truly refreshing film to be coming out of Hollywood, at the time. And it had a really good political message!

Surely you jest.