Tories planning move that may avoid fall election

jdobbin

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

The Conservatives are about to make a move that may fend off a fall election, CTV News has learned.

The government is planning to introduce changes to the employment insurance program Monday -- changes that may appeal to the NDP and give the Tories enough votes to survive a non-confidence motion.

The government is planning to offer an additional 20 weeks of EI for long-tenure workers -- those who have worked at least seven of the last 10 years, CTV's Ottawa Bureau Chief Robert Fife reported Sunday.

I guess might be enough for the NDP.

I have always thought that extending benefits to those who have worked for a long time to be the fairest approach in these tough times. By default, it erffectively targets hard-hit industries like automotive and forestry. Far better than the Liberal approach of giving everybody the lowest common denominator of 360 hours and rewarding many who have paid very little into EI. If this report is true, the Liberals will now be in a position where they will have to vote against the very issue that they were "championing" - improvements to EI......and for the record, the Conservatives DID say they would create some temporary relief for workers - seems like they've folloowed through quite nicely. This has nothing to do with cowtowing to Jumpin' Jack. It has to do with smartly helping workers, helping Liberals continue to dig themselves into a hole, and giving the NDP and Bloc something they can support. I believe it's called "making Parliament work". Interesting days ahead.

I have always thought that extending benefits to those who have worked for a long time to be the fairest approach in these tough times. By default, it erffectively targets hard-hit industries like automotive and forestry. Far better than the Liberal approach of giving everybody the lowest common denominator of 360 hours and rewarding many who have paid very little into EI. If this report is true, the Liberals will now be in a position where they will have to vote against the very issue that they were "championing" - improvements to EI......and for the record, the Conservatives DID say they would create some temporary relief for workers - seems like they've folloowed through quite nicely. This has nothing to do with cowtowing to Jumpin' Jack. It has to do with smartly helping workers, helping Liberals continue to dig themselves into a hole, and giving the NDP and Bloc something they can support. I believe it's called "making Parliament work". Interesting days ahead.

and if one has lost their job, principally due to the recession... and one doesn't have a work history of 7-10 years (maybe new to the workforce... duh?)... let them eat Conservative cake!

Edited by waldo

It's about time Harper figured this out.

I think Harper missed the bus. The time for that was during the summer, it now has the appearance of a last ditch strategy to save his government. That is a rather weak position to start a campaign with. I think Iggy will use the report card to fail the government and force the other parties to save Harpers skin. If the Bloc and the NDP take Harpers bait they will find themselves in a far less advantageous position when the writ is finally dropped at some time in the future.

It is really up to Harper if theres a election. He has said that they will try for a majority government, and that doesn't sound like a guy who doesn't want an election. Next, the voters have the control if he does get that majority, and from what I'm hearing there are voters out there they are saying they won't vote if there's a election. We have to have a PM that is opposition-friendly and Harper hasn't been, at least, not until an election time comes. How can one vote for a guy who put Canada into a deficit BEFORE this global recession hit.

There's another situation we could end up. Lets say we do have an election and Harper gets back in as a minority and then for their own reasons, the NDP, Bloc and the Libs , go to the coalition route and bring down the government again. So we are back into the fifith election. So if people are fed up with election get off your butt and vote for a majority of one of the parties.

I think Harper missed the bus. The time for that was during the summer, it now has the appearance of a last ditch strategy to save his government.

The summer was supposed to be time set aside for the Liberal/Conservative EI panel to formulate an EI plan. Right from the beginning Ignatieff was not optimistic that the effort would be productive.

Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff says he cannot promise sweeping changes to the employment insurance system, despite an agreement earlier this week with the Conservatives to review the program -- a deal that averted a summer election call.

"We're working towards a solution," Ignatieff said Sunday on CTV's Question Period. "I'm going to try in good faith to get there. I can't give you any guarantees we're going get there, but I'm going try."

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...090621/20090621

On September 2nd or 3rd, the Liberals abandoned the panel claiming they could not work with the Conservatives. The panel was due to report to Parliament on September 28. The timing of their withdrawal from the Panel is interesting. By walking away, there is no report to put before Parliament. A look at the Parliamentary calendar shows that the government's ways and means motion, a confidence motion, would be brought forward before any potential EI report. Had the Liberals stuck with the panel, they would have to vote on a confidence motion before the tabling of an EI report that they would have co-authored. It was advantageous for the Liberals to withdraw from the EI panel to clear the way to deal with a confidence vote whereby the Conservatives could be defeated.

That is a rather weak position to start a campaign with.

All Harper needs to do is say the Liberals walked away from the EI panel and then let the Liberals accuse the Conservatives of not playing nice. Will the Conservatives be called bullies? Perhaps. Will the Liberals be criticized for walking away from the EI panel? Who knows. I really don't think either party scores any points here.

and if one has lost their job, principally due to the recession... and one doesn't have a work history of 7-10 years (maybe new to the workforce... duh?)... let them eat Conservative cake!

Hey it's a positive change. You can complain that it wasn't enough but at least it wasn't TOO much, which was what the Liberals were bringing to the table.

Those new to the workforce still could get EI providing they worked the minimum # of hours. If they haven't been able to hold down a job for a long time that's not really the recession's fault. EI was never meant to be long term income. It's a stop-gap for people to find new work after a layoff, not something they can mooch off of consistently like many do right now.

This has nothing to do with cowtowing to Jumpin' Jack. It has to do with smartly helping workers, helping Liberals continue to dig themselves into a hole, and giving the NDP and Bloc something they can support. I believe it's called "making Parliament work". Interesting days ahead.

All summer the Tories refused to discuss even this because extending benefits was talked about.

It is hard to trust Harper on the issue since it is just as easy to say he finally acted because the Liberals expressed no confidence in his government to continue.

If the Bloc and NDP do vote in favour that is up to them. One way or the other, the free ride they had in voting no confidence every time had to come to an end.

Hey it's a positive change. You can complain that it wasn't enough but at least it wasn't TOO much, which was what the Liberals were bringing to the table.

Actually, the entire issue was no compromise from the Tory side even when Ignatieff said he was willing to work to a solution. You do remember that, right?

The Tories kept saying any change was too expensive and stalled all summer until the Liberals simply said there was no progress being made.

On September 2nd or 3rd, the Liberals abandoned the panel claiming they could not work with the Conservatives. The panel was due to report to Parliament on September 28. The timing of their withdrawal from the Panel is interesting. By walking away, there is no report to put before Parliament.

There was no headway being made on the panel. No compromise at all.

You say the Liberals left the panel when a solution was imminent? It is just as easy to say that the Tories found a solution when the Liberals said they had lost confidence in the government.

Either way, the Liberals figure it is hard to trust Harper on the issue.

Actually, the entire issue was no compromise from the Tory side even when Ignatieff said he was willing to work to a solution. You do remember that, right?

I said it was a positive move. It was. Some extra people are going to be getting help. You can criticize if you want that it wasn't enough, but it's not hurting people who lost their jobs due to the recession.

The Tories kept saying any change was too expensive and stalled all summer until the Liberals simply said there was no progress being made.

The Tories said the proposed Liberal changes were too expensive and if you look at them they're pretty hard to justify.

There was no headway being made on the panel. No compromise at all.

Nobody expected any. Ignatieff agreed to the panel to make it look like he was doing something rather than just backing down quietly like Dion. It was same with the budget. Quarterly 'reviews' were the condition for approving the budget? :rolleyes:

I said it was a positive move. It was. Some extra people are going to be getting help. You can criticize if you want that it wasn't enough, but it's not hurting people who lost their jobs due to the recession.

I am saying it might not have happened at all if the Liberals hadn't walked away from the table.

Harper is not to be trusted.

The Tories said the proposed Liberal changes were too expensive and if you look at them they're pretty hard to justify.

And then they exaggerated the costs beyond anything the Liberals said. The Budget Officer then confirmed the Tories were exaggerating.

Nobody expected any. Ignatieff agreed to the panel to make it look like he was doing something rather than just backing down quietly like Dion. It was same with the budget. Quarterly 'reviews' were the condition for approving the budget? :rolleyes:

Nobody was expecting any? When the Liberals said they were willing to compromise on the issue over the summer, I figured that would give the Tories room to make some changes that were workable to both. They didn't though. They hammered Liberals on costs that were wrong and made no proposals to counter.

It is hard not to think that Harper moves on an issue when he thinks he will lose.

I suppose the Tories can continue to buy time with proposals to the NDP or Bloc but I can't imagine that is a comfortable place for him to be in. Meanwhile, the Liberals can free themselves of the tag that they continue to prop up the government. The free ride for other opposition parties is over.

The Conservatives are about to make a move that may fend off a fall election, CTV News has learned.

The government is planning to introduce changes to the employment insurance program Monday -- changes that may appeal to the NDP and give the Tories enough votes to survive a non-confidence motion.

The government is planning to offer an additional 20 weeks of EI for long-tenure workers -- those who have worked at least seven of the last 10 years, CTV's Ottawa Bureau Chief Robert Fife reported Sunday.

I guess might be enough for the NDP.

What an odd interpretation of the Tory EI plan.

They announced in June that action on EI was coming in June, so it is hardly any surprise. It will also be no surprise that they won't do the massively expensive measures demanded by the NDP and Liberals.

Anything at all would be enough fpor the NDP now- they are broke and won';t get their federal gravy until January, at which time they may well invent a crisis and provoke an election. But for now, they can pretend that anybody cares what they do.

It is hard not to think that Harper moves on an issue when he thinks he will lose.

One thing it does reveal is Harper's desire to avoid going to the polls over the issue. I've felt the last few Tory-friendly polls had little long-term meaning, and were more just sort of late-summer doldrums. I wonder what the Tories' own internal polling was telling them. I suspect that the Tories and Liberals both know that an election could upset the status quo enough to see the Tories lose power.

What an odd interpretation of the Tory EI plan.

That is only pulled out now when the Liberals say they have lost confidence?

They announced in June that action on EI was coming in June, so it is hardly any surprise.

That they refused to talk about all summer?

It will also be no surprise that they won't do the massively expensive measures demanded by the NDP and Liberals.

The one that the Budget Officer didn't cost as much as the Harper Tories were saying?

Anything at all would be enough fpor the NDP now- they are broke and won';t get their federal gravy until January, at which time they may well invent a crisis and provoke an election. But for now, they can pretend that

anybody cares what they do.

Or Harper himself might call a snap election. He doesn't believe in term limits.

It is sad that the government is forced to change items in the EI but its only for a short time and premiums for EI will go up and they may double once the "freeze" comes off. Flaherty indicated that government spending will be the way they will get rid of the debt. So here we go again on program spending, the Arts will surely get it and women's programs and the usually Tories cuts.