Tories wonder if Jason Kenney next to lead party

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

Kenney is whispered about as the potential dark horse in a race that might one day include Defence Minister Peter MacKay, Environment Minister Jim Prentice and Finance Minister Jim Flaherty, to name a few of the names often bandied about.

The 41-year-old workaholic has attracted attention for taking a pain-in-the-butt portfolio like immigration and making it seem like a tier-one department.

"What I like about Jason is he's working very hard, and he's earning people's respect, I think, by doing a lot of things very well," said one caucus colleague.

I personally don't know if the Conservatives will vote twice in a row for a leader from Alberta.

Moreover, if Ignatieff can be criticized for not understanding Canada for being out of the country so long then Kenney can be said to not understand the needs of parents in Canada since he is single.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moreover, if Ignatieff can be criticized for not understanding Canada for being out of the country so long then Kenney can be said to not understand the needs of parents in Canada since he is single.

Then it can also be said that Michael Ignatieff cannot understand the needs of women and children, because he's neither a woman or a child. :rolleyes:

Then it can also be said that Michael Ignatieff cannot understand the needs of women and children, because he's neither a woman or a child. :rolleyes:

So you think the Tory criticism about working outside Canada is illegitimate?

It is not impossible for a single man to get elected in Canada. The longest serving prime minister never married. However, the question about families will come up. If not by the Liberals, then by Tories running against him.

Some of it, yes. I would say that a politician who wants to be Prime Minister of Canda, who spent 27 years living outside the country, is somewhat of a concern. More so if he would have been the Liberal Party's leader during the last election. However, he's probably immersed himself enough within Canada for that not to be as significant of an issue.

However, the question about families will come up. If not by the Liberals, then by Tories running against him.

And I'm sure he'll champion many of his closest and most influential colleagues and advisors who are married and have families.

Some of it, yes. I would say that a politician who wants to be Prime Minister of Canda, who spent 27 years living outside the country, is somewhat of a concern. More so if he would have been the Liberal Party's leader during the last election. However, he's probably immersed himself enough within Canada for that not to be as significant of an issue.

He was an MP as long as Harper was when became leader. He might be an Opposition leader as long as Harper by the time he becomes prime minister.

The problem of making an issue of being outside the country is that it can be a blanket criticism used against any professional or immigrant.

And I'm sure he'll champion many of his closest and most influential colleagues and advisors who are married and have families.

Could work. I expect his competitors will make an issue of it regardless.

he did more then "working out side of Canada" he lived his ENTIRE adult life outside Canada, had it not been for liberal overtures I doubt he would have ever come back.

We've been through all of this is another thread so back to Jason Kenney. It's a nice article and maybe one day he will be considered as a leadership candidate. He's refeshing in that he takes clear positions - he's not a waffler or a Bob Rae where everything is "nuanced". But in reality, Harper is not going anywhere soon and Kenney is a little young right now. Harper's having too good a time.

he did more then "working out side of Canada" he lived his ENTIRE adult life outside Canada, had it not been for liberal overtures I doubt he would have ever come back.

So, you would be against anyone who lived and worked outside of Canada becoming an MP and later leader of a political party.

It's interesting that the article doesn't really quote anyone who specifically says that they see Kenney as the next Leader of the Party. In fact, it says nobody wants to talk about a new leader. All of the "quotes" seem to be answers to questions about Kenney's competence - not about his specific fit for leader of the party. A very misleading article - just speculation by the writer. But to her credit, she's zeroed in on a very capable guy. I like Jason Kenney.

We've been through all of this is another thread so back to Jason Kenney. It's a nice article and maybe one day he will be considered as a leadership candidate. He's refeshing in that he takes clear positions - he's not a waffler or a Bob Rae where everything is "nuanced". But in reality, Harper is not going anywhere soon and Kenney is a little young right now. Harper's having too good a time.

I figure he has this one election left and if he can't deliver a majority, it will be the last one. You think differently?

The Tories only have a few bilingual candidates possible. They won't choose someone who can't speak both languages.

So, you would be against anyone who lived and worked outside of Canada becoming an MP and later leader of a political party.

He did not come back on his own the PM carrot was dangles in front of him, he was lured back, he did not come back because he missed home, he came back with delusions of grandure.

He did not come back on his own the PM carrot was dangles in front of him, he was lured back, he did not come back because he missed home, he came back with delusions of grandure.

You are free to speculate. Why do you think Harper came back to politics?

You are free to speculate. Why do you think Harper came back to politics?

Harper did not leave canada for 30 some years to live his life and pursue is career entirely out of country. The optics of ignatieff coming back are very poor.

Harper did not leave canada for 30 some years to live his life and pursue is career entirely out of country. The optics of ignatieff coming back are very poor.

And Tories will trumpet this as much as they can and annoy immigrants and other professionals who come back to Canada to live and work. The optics for that are terrible.

Edited by jdobbin

And Tories will trumpet this as much as they can and annoy immigrants and other professionals who come back to Canada to live and work.

Why would they be annoyed? I think immigrants and professionals are smart enough to decipher that they are not vying for the PM's chair so, they would not be prone to comparing their own circumstances with Ignatieff's.

And Tories will trumpet this as much as they can and annoy immigrants and other professionals who come back to Canada to live and work. The optics for that are terrible.

HAss nothing to do with either of those groups and theiy know it and you know it, just liberal party spin.

HAss nothing to do with either of those groups and theiy know it and you know it, just liberal party spin.

I'm afraid that optics are the Tories distrust people like immigrants to become politicians in Canada.

I'm afraid that optics are the Tories distrust people like immigrants to become politicians in Canada.

So why is there are immigrants in the conservative party sitting as MPs? Just more spin from the resident liberal party hack.

Canadians distrust polticians that come back to canada after deriding the country abroad, only coming back to become leader of a party after the begging of a certain political party.

So why is there are immigrants in the conservative party sitting as MPs? Just more spin from the resident liberal party hack.

The hackery is from Tories who think that if an immigrant or someone who worked professionally outside the country is not good enough for politics unless it is with the Conservative party.

Canadians distrust polticians that come back to canada after deriding the country abroad, only coming back to become leader of a party after the begging of a certain political party.

Canadian distrust politicians who in their private profession prior politics derided the country while living in Canada.

Edited by jdobbin

The hackery is from Tories who think that if an immigrant or someone who worked professionally outside the country is not good enough for politics unless it is with the Conservative party.

Canadian distrust politicians who in their private profession prior politics derided the country while living in Canada.

So is ignatieff a immigrant now?

Did he pursue any of his career in canada, or only his schooling. Seems to me only 30% of core liberal support really sees it the way you do, the rest of Canadians sees it differently, otherwise Ignatieff would have no problem polling higher then he is now.

So is ignatieff a immigrant now?

Tories are against anyone who worked outside the country taking part in politics?

How many years do they have to be back before they are accepted?

Did he pursue any of his career in canada, or only his schooling. Seems to me only 30% of core liberal support really sees it the way you do, the rest of Canadians sees it differently, otherwise Ignatieff would have no problem polling higher then he is now.

And where is Tory support now?

Tories are against anyone who worked outside the country taking part in politics?

How many years do they have to be back before they are accepted?

And where is Tory support now?

People again ignatieff didn't just "work" outside the country, he lived his ENTIRE adult life pursuing his ENITRE CAREER outside CANADA. It is not the same, you are tring to spin this. He came back at the behest of the liberal party.

If he had left and come back, left and come back it would be different, the optics are that of a opportunist.

If what you say is true, then Canadians would distrust a Canadian politician more who has derided the country while living abroad.

Consider a recent article in Maclean's called "Bogus Peacekeeping?" that reports Ignatieff was "once slightly more harsh toward his native land" than he is today.

According to the story, Professor Ignatieff told an audience at Trinity College in Dublin in 2005 that Canada had been trading on its "entirely bogus reputation as peacekeepers" for 40 years. If you are a human rights activist, he had said, "you have to go the Pentagon because no one else is serious."

Ignatieff argued that Canadians had renounced their international citizenship and would rather complain about the United States than "pay the bill" of real internationalism.

He also attacked Canada (though, he said, "I love my country") for its reflexive

anti-Americanism and becoming something "of a pretender on the world stage."

http://www.canada.com/news/guns+aimed+Igna...5184/story.html

I would rather have a Canadian who lived all his life in Canada criticize the country than some wannabe politician who has lived most of his life abroad.

People again ignatieff didn't just "work" outside the country, he lived his ENTIRE adult life pursuing his ENITRE CAREER outside CANADA. It is not the same, you are tring to spin this. He came back at the behest of the liberal party.

So how long does he have to be back in Canada? Just give me a ballpark figure.

If he had left and come back, left and come back it would be different, the optics are that of a opportunist.

I'm afraid the optics of the Tory attack is anti professional, anti immigrant.

If what you say is true, then Canadians would distrust a Canadian politician more who has derided the country while living abroad.

I think the polls show Canadians distrust all politicians because they play games all the time.

I would rather have a Canadian who lived all his life in Canada criticize the country than some wannabe politician who has lived most of his life abroad.

By all means. Make sure to emphasize the "just visiting" campaign even more.