This post been edited by...

If you post and then immediately make a correction to your post, the phrase "This post has been edited by... " will appear at the bottom of your edited post with the time and date of your edit. Why?

As a result, I have made it a policy of always re-posting/"editing" my posts so that my posts always receive this post script. IMV, it's a badge of honour. (Sometimes, I forget to repost.)

To some I think, editing a post implies something nefarious occurred and the poster changed their mind or changed their argument. Well, I dislike typos and sometimes I simply prefer a different word order. I'm no Flaubert but he corrected and re-corrected Madame Bovary. I appreciate the instinct. I also simply think that posters should have a chance to redo things.

Would it be possible to give us (would the software allow) a 24 hour grace period to correct/edit our posts without this suffix of "This post has been edited... " appearing? That's how other forums operate.

It seems to me that if a poster changes something within 15 minutes or 24 hours of the initial post, there's probably a minor error but no major change of heart - unless it's the voice in the back of one's mind.

Edited by August1991

• Forum Admin
It seems to me that if a poster changes something within 15 minutes or 24 hours of the initial post, there's probably a minor error but no major change of heart - unless it's the voice in the back of one's mind.

I will look into this and post back here when I have a definitive answer.