Impact of Joe Clark's statement on Conservatives

How will Clark's statement impact on Cons?  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Over the weekend former Progressive Conservative Prime Minister Joe Clark expressed reservations over what current Conservative leader Stephen Harper represents. Clark commented he would prefer current Prime Minister Paul Martin over Conservative leader Stephen Harper for prime minister.

Mr Clark stated: "better the devil you know, than the devil you don't".

Some concerns have been expressed that the recent political merger between the Alliance and the PCs, was actually a takeover of the Progressive Conservatives by the Alliance.

What impact on Conservative party fortunes do you think the former Progressive Conservative Prime Minister Joe Clark's statement will have?

In his career, Clark has shown a tremendous lack of political judgment. I suspect many incompetent PoliSci students have decided to get into politics because of Joe Clark. (Hint: Go Liberal. Sergio Marchi is now in Switzerland with his wife and adopted kids. Check it out.)

Canada. It was dead easy in the 1980-90s. It's still easy.

Correction Maplesyrup, former seat warmer Joe Clark has touched your nerve and is saying what you have been thinking for a long time.

This will all be sorted out soon. Election call next week.

Former Prime Minister Joe Clark has actualy touched a nerve in current Canadian politics, attacking the notion that Stephen Harper is some kind of a moderate. He is saying what a lot of Canadians have been thinking.

You're right, MapleSyrup. Clark has touched a nerve amongst all the people who listen to the CBC in English Canada and believe its reports are the truth. We will find out soon whether these "demographics" are Canada.

IOW, I think there is a good Canada, but it's not the CBC Canada. Let's see.

August1991...I have some issues with the CBC.

I do not like their mainstay "The National'. I prefer the PBS approach to the news.

What are your issues with them? ;)

PS August 1991....while we probably diagree on most political issues, I respect your civility. The next time I am in Montreal we should go out for a beer. :D

I would expect Clark to support Martin as both men are preoccupied with the past. Clak has to attack his successor and Martin his predecesor in order to appear relavent. A poor loser and a poor winner both dividing the fraternity to appear supperior in value.

I happen to believe they admire each other and so they should, as footnotes should stick together.

Most Canadians do not seem to share your point of view.

A chilly spell on the Hill

There's plenty of outrage over Joe Clark's lukewarm endorsement of Paul Martin over Stephen Harper, but the former Tory PM seems to be on the same page as many voters

By Greg Weston -- Sun Ottawa Bureau

The shrieking condemnation of Joe Clark over his recent nose-holding endorsement of Paul Martin says as much about the new Conservative Party as it does about the old Tory leader.

Clark touched off a political firestorm Sunday when he said he would feel more comfortable supporting the Liberal prime minister -- "the devil we know" -- than newly appointed Conservative Leader Stephen Harper.

While he bemoaned the prospect of another Liberal government, Clark predicted voters would see through the Conservative "masquerade" of being a moderate alternative.

----------

Clark obviously hit a raw nerve. And no wonder.

The latest Sun polls show that while Martin has been doing badly of late, Harper is not faring much better.

Harper (and Layton) are complete unknowns in Quebec and the Maritimes. Harper is a virtual unknown in Ontario and Layton is unknown outside of Toronto. (French CBC today referred to "Jeff" Layton.)

INME, Canadians are cautious about the unknown. Trudeau is now revered or reviled in Canada but there was a time when many people were completely suspicious of him.

I think this election is going to be significant and interesting in many ways.

Maplesyrup, the sun poll that is referred to shows Harpers numbers doubling and a large undecided.

8% - 16% is nothing to get excited about.

I will make what I would perceive as an unbiased analysis of the last string of polls.

They are inconclusive. Voters are volatile and a hot issue that galvanizes the vote may be the difference. Which party would be the beneficiary right now is unknown and only wishful thinking and guessing can be done.

Sports analogy time, it is game time and the team that is ready to play will win and it still might not be close.

Editorial: Clark's warning should be heeded

Joe Clark has a stern warning for Canadian voters who are becoming increasingly irritated with Prime Minister Paul Martin and his Liberal party and are starting to wonder if they should vote for Stephen Harper and his reunited Conservative Party.

Take a long, hard look at Harper, the former Conservative leader says, because what you will see is a leader who'd be a "dangerous" prime minister and who has a "well-hidden" agenda to steer Canada sharply to the right. And to top it off, Clark says he "would prefer to go with the devil we know," meaning Martin, than Harper in the coming election.

I would think that Clark's comments will cost the Conservatives 1-2% of their support, as they will resonate with a certain number of Canadians.