Doer's resistance to anti-poverty measures perplexes

Socially progressive NDPers --- who became liberals - I see - hate to break it to you - there are no conservatives in Ottawa - YOU are the re-born conservatives - real conservers of human and natural resourse - simply good management --- conservators converve ...good work guys.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those damn do gooder NDP always ruining Dobbins smears.

Ah, the personalizing. It isn't just limited to the Conservatives.

We have talked about this already. It simply isn't enough and it still won't get the vacancy rate above 1%. The problem has become so bad that it requires a far more expansive plan which I have already described.

If you are looking for a party who promises everything and delivers nothing like the Bob Rea NDP you would be looking at the Liberals in Manitoba maybe that is why Rea is a Liberal now.

If Doer becomes a federal Liberal like some media have been speculating, I'm sure you are going to have lots of bad thing to say about him then.

If Doer becomes a federal Liberal like some media have been speculating, I'm sure you are going to have lots of bad thing to say about him then.

And I bet he will be your savour and you will for him and talk about all the great things he did for the poor, and Manitoba.

Ps if Doer becomes the leader of the Liberal party at some point I might very well vote Liberal, Dion almost had me this time but Iggy is just terrible he treats the left like some sort of step child he has to hid in the corner.

Edited by punked

And I bet he will be your savour and you will for him and talk about all the great things he did for the poor, and Manitoba.

I've already said that he rules from the center and is a populist. I think he would chafe under Layton and in third opposition.

My view is that he would never be a leader of any federal party. You have to be bilingual. He would probably be a minister of some kind.

My issue with Doer is that his government has run out of steam. It happens. If he makes the same mistake of trying for another term like Filmon did, I suspect that the same thing will happen to him. As it happened in Saskatchewan.

He should be thinking of succession and renewal in the party but I have not seen any indication of where his future lies. He probably has another year or so before the question of whether he will run again or not.

In the meantime, questions about the 1999 election, Crocus and other issues dog his government just as they did with Filmon before him. Filmon was personally popular but it wasn't enough to stop the feeling that change was necessary.

Ps if Doer becomes the leader of the Liberal party at some point I might very well vote Liberal, Dion almost had me this time but Iggy is just terrible he treats the left like some sort of step child he has to hid in the corner.

As I said, I don't think a non-bilingual person can be leader.

One of the reasons that Ignatieff is down in the polls in Quebec if you read the article you posted is that his French language skills have been attacked. Layton and Harper have also faced this type of response in Quebec from time to time. Dion faced it in regard to English.

Edited by jdobbin

He hasn't run out of steam yet....there will be things happening with Centreport and he can take credit for all of it if he stays.

There have been too many areas that the NDP have championed over the years that have been less than great economic policy. There was call centers which we paid a lot of money for to simply lose them in battles with other jurisdictions. There was Internet pharmacies which the U.S. helped kill off. There was the hog industry that they promoted that had an effect on supply of hogs and hurt the environment.

That is a lot of money tossed around for economic development that didn't work out so well.

Our economy has grown faster under this NDP government than in a long time. I don't think they've been so unsuccessful as you'd like. In 2008, our per capita GDP was almost as large as that of Ontario.

Edited by Smallc

Our economy has grown faster under this NDP government than in a long time. I don't think they've been so unsuccessful as you'd like. In 2008, our per capita GDP was almost as large as that of Ontario.

How much did that have to do with them and how much to do with a booming economy? I think it would have grown under any of the three parties. The question is: Are we charting the right path for when the times are tough? I think the answer is that many of the economic choices of the NDP have been incorrect, none so more as the hog industry that will literally go bankrupt in the next weeks.