From Politico:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0609/23957.html

It wasn't too long ago that Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) seemed headed for the fight of his political life and Sen. John Ensign (R-Nev.) seemed poised to emerge as a credible presidential contender in 2012.

But in the space of just a few months, the political prospects of Nevada's two senators have followed dramatically different trajectories, with Reid now looking like a good bet for reelection next year and Ensign now mired in an increasingly ugly personal scandal.

I can remember how there was some crowing about how Reid was done like dinner in Nevada. I said it was a bit early to speculate on that election especially on who would run against him. Well, that list of candidates keep dwindling.

Meanwhile, Ensign has lost any chance as the most conservative Republican to capture the Presidential nomination. Correction: If he gets down on his knee and repent he may be the perfect candidate.

From Politico:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0609/23957.html

I can remember how there was some crowing about how Reid was done like dinner in Nevada. I said it was a bit early to speculate on that election especially on who would run against him. Well, that list of candidates keep dwindling.

Meanwhile, Ensign has lost any chance as the most conservative Republican to capture the Presidential nomination. Correction: If he gets down on his knee and repent he may be the perfect candidate.

I saw him waggling his finger and saying, "I never had sex with that woman.!" too.

You would think he would have waited to become President before he disclosed his transgressions.

Maybe, just maybe if we catch all the Politicians with transgressions there will be one or two left.

It is most certainly good to know which ones are dishonest so we can vote for the honest ones. Would there only be Democrats left or would there be any left at all?

Harry "the war is lost" Reid is still going to have a tough re-election. You can count on that. And I don't think anyone thought of Ensign as a legitimate Presidential candidate. Nice guy. Good senator. However, he's definitely not Presidential material. This politico story is just manufactured drama.

Harry "the war is lost" Reid is still going to have a tough re-election. You can count on that. And I don't think anyone thought of Ensign as a legitimate Presidential candidate. Nice guy. Good senator. However, he's definitely not Presidential material. This politico story is just manufactured drama.

It is funny how this story is on every channel including FOX and many of their pundits had been talking up Ensign as a potential flag bearer of the conservative right. The National Journal named in as the most conservative senator and there had been plenty of talk since the last election that he would be a player in the next presidential election. Nice try to distance this guy from being presidential material because that is how FOX was describing him on JUne 1st when he was in Iowa.

As for Reid, there is a growing number of Republicans who won't run against him. Given the turmoil in Nevada right now, I am not surprised.

It is funny how this story is on every channel including FOX and many of their pundits had been talking up Ensign as a potential flag bearer of the conservative right.

Yeah, I don't really understand that, because his name was never really mentioned at all, until now.

The National Journal named in as the most conservative senator

When was this? Because the list I've seen from the National Journal, has him at #14. In my opinion, someone like Tom Coburn or Jim DeMint are much more conservative. And who made the National Journal the arbiters of who's most conservative anyways?

and there had been plenty of talk since the last election that he would be a player in the next presidential election.

No there hasn't. Not since recently.

hat is how FOX was describing him on JUne 1st when he was in Iowa.

Yep. That's when the talk of this Presidential aspirations began. When he visited Iowa in June.

As for Reid, there is a growing number of Republicans who won't run against him.

As long as the Republicans run somebody competent, Reid will have a tough re-election. He's going to have a lot to answer for, especially in a year, when the economy's going through a jobless recovery, and inflation begins to rise, along with continued astronomical deficits.

Yeah, I don't really understand that, because his name was never really mentioned at all, until now.

It was probably when he started testing the waters in Iowa at the beginning of the month that it started to happen. Some on talk radio believed that it was the reason that he suddenly became the target of blackmail.

When was this? Because the list I've seen from the National Journal, has him at #14. In my opinion, someone like Tom Coburn or Jim DeMint are much more conservative. And who made the National Journal the arbiters of who's most conservative anyways?

That was 2008. I posted the link in another thread on the forum.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090617/ts_al...icsnevadaaffair

Last year, Ensign was rated the most conservative US senator by the National Journal magazine and led the unsuccessful charge in 2007 to force Idaho Senator Larry Craig to resign from office after Craig was caught in a gay sex sting operation.

I think that helped him place number one.

No there hasn't. Not since recently.

When he became Chairman of the Republican Policy Committee there was plenty of talk about that. More when he announced he was not running in 2010 for senator.

It is June now. In the last three or four months, I heard his name come up again and again and it made me curious enough to look into who he was and what he had done. When he visited Iowa at the beginning of this month, his name came front and center for the very conservative right as the candidate to watch.

Yep. That's when the talk of this Presidential aspirations began. When he visited Iowa in June.

Certainly that is when talk swirled the most but he had been attending many national conservative and Republican events before that as the AP story details.

The American Future Fund invited Ensign months ago to address a crowd in Sioux City to ensure that he would be the person leading the conservative cause as a potential Presidential hopeful. In March and April, Ensign went to many of the events that led to his name being mentioned numerous times. In May, I heard that he going to Iowa.

At the time, I was going to write just how astonished I was that the presidential race of primaries seemed to be kicking off already. Even Obama felt compelled to visit Iowa again to ensure people knew he was going to run again.

As long as the Republicans run somebody competent, Reid will have a tough re-election. He's going to have a lot to answer for, especially in a year, when the economy's going through a jobless recovery, and inflation begins to rise, along with continued astronomical deficits.

He certainly will face a challenger but as I said the last time, it is a long way to the election and it is hard to say who he will face. Knocking off an incumbent usually requires either a very strong contender or a movement to remove a majority party out of power. I don't see either at the moment.

He certainly will face a challenger but as I said the last time, it is a long way to the election and it is hard to say who he will face. Knocking off an incumbent usually requires either a very strong contender or a movement to remove a majority party out of power. I don't see either at the moment.

There is a growing movement to remove a majority party. Reid will have a tough time.

There is a growing movement to remove a majority party. Reid will have a tough time.

What are you talking about the Dems have more target seats then the Republicans do. You know when the Majority leaders seat is talked about as a target seat your party has little to go for.

I still don't see that.

Famous last words. "I didn't even see it coming." No one saw the economic collapse either. Obama's popularity has dropped 4 points in the last month.

And didn't you see what Obama did to Nevada's economy by telling everyone to not fly? He was in Nevada when he said that and of course tourism being the number one industry in Nevada didn't fair too well after that. The Governor of Nevada was not impressed.

Reid and the Dems are on the skids but that isn't saying the Republicans will have an easy go. They do have to get their act together and find a good solid leader. Gingrich? Palin? Will we go from the first Black to the first woman in the White House? Newt Gingrich would probably be a shoe in if he ran for GOP leader.

Edited by Pliny

Famous last words. "I didn't even see it coming." No one saw the economic collapse either. Obama's popularity has dropped 4 points in the last month.

Actually, a lot of people saw the economic collapse coming.

And didn't you see what Obama did to Nevada's economy by telling everyone to not fly? He was in Nevada when he said that and of course tourism being the number one industry in Nevada didn't fair too well after that. The Governor of Nevada was not impressed.

What the President said was the corporate America shouldn't be flying their jets to Vegas on the taxpayer dime.

Most of Nevada's problems have been the result of the sub-prime mortgage collapse and rising fuel costs.

Even the Governor's chief of staff has abandoned him after just a year.

The governor of Nevada faces challenges from his own party over the tax increase he let pass. That did more damage to Las vegas's hotels than anything Obama did.

Reid and the Dems are on the skids but that isn't saying the Republicans will have an easy go. They do have to get their act together and find a good solid leader. Gingrich? Palin? Will we go from the first Black to the first woman in the White House? Newt Gingrich would probably be a shoe in if he ran for GOP leader.

The governor of Nevada is on the skids. Gingrich has personal issues that would be focused on with greater intensity if he runs. As far Palin, she faces more attacks from her own party to even worry about the Democrats at the moment.

Edited by jdobbin

\

Do you remember what happened to Newt? He was having this third affair while at the same trying to impeach Clinton for the samething. The party ran him out of town on rails when they found out. You don't remember that? No? Actual republicans do, plus he is a Catholic in the evangelical party. He has no chance.

Do you remember what happened to Newt? He was having this third affair while at the same trying to impeach Clinton for the samething. The party ran him out of town on rails when they found out. You don't remember that? No? Actual republicans do, plus he is a Catholic in the evangelical party. He has no chance.

Wrong....Bill Clinton was impeached....for lying in federal court.

Wrong....Bill Clinton was impeached....for lying in federal court.

You say tomato I say Newt walked into his first wifes hospitable room after she had cancer surgery to demand a divorce because he was cheating on her while his daughter waited outside the room thinking it was just a normal visit.

You say tomato I say Newt walked into his first wifes hospitable room after she had cancer surgery to demand a divorce because he was cheating on her while his daughter waited outside the room thinking it was just a normal visit.

So what...that's not a crime. He didn't violate a sworn oath in federal court / grand jury. Clinton did...so he paid the price.

Nope..it wasn't a criminal trial. President Wiliam Jefferson Clinton was impeached by the House and found "Not Guilty" by a vote in the Senate. "Innocent" is not a legal outcome.

Funny "Not Guilty" in the US means someone isn't innocent it means they are guilty? Never knew.

No, it means that there is sufficient doubt (or insufficient votes) to support a finding of "guilty".

Gotcha Not Guilty means Guilty in your mind.

I also would like to point of the 13 republicans in the senate who acted as prosecutors of Clinton only 2 remain. Apparently the American people think Not Guilty means "You guys are f---ing morons."

Edited by punked

Gotcha Not Guilty means Guilty in your mind.

Sorry, I thought your pretend American civics lesson was effective.

I also would like to point of the 13 republicans in the senate who acted as prosecutors of Clinton only 2 remain. Apparently the American people think Not Guilty means "You guys are f---ing morons."

But they were not disbarred like President Clinton...tsk...tsk.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Sorry, I thought your pretend American civics lesson was effective.

Clinton resigned from the Supreme Court bar in November 2001. No disbarment. Tsk....Tsk...More lies from the right.

Stop...now you are just looking stupid. Clinton was disbarred in October 2001.

http://famguardian.org/Subjects/LawAndGovt...sbar-011001.htm