800 recalled at Hamilton steel plant

Can we handle some good news?

800 recalled at Hamilton steel plant

MIKE CASSESE/REUTERS FILE PHOTO

The former Stelco plant in Hamilton will fire up in coming weeks after new owner U.S. Steel recalled 800 workers.

Coke ovens at mothballed Stelco mill will be restarted, new U.S. owner informs union

Jun 13, 2009 04:30 AM

Comments on this story (1)

THE HAMILTON SPECTATOR

HAMILTON – U.S. Steel is calling 800 laid-off Hamilton employees back to work, breathing some life back into its mothballed Canadian operations.

The Pittsburgh steelmaker, which acquired Stelco Inc. in 2007, will restart its Hamilton coke ovens and begin recalling workers in the coming weeks, said Rolf Gerstenberger, president of Local 1005 of the United Steelworkers union.

There are no plans yet to recall any workers at U.S. Steel's Lake Erie plant, according to sources with knowledge of the situation. There is also no immediate intention to restart any Canadian operations other than the Hamilton coke ovens.

more ...

http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/article/650326

Local 1005 ... back in action! :D

Edited by tango

I hate to be looking for a cloud inside this silver lining, but the recall is coming just ahead of an important Canadian deadline for U.S. Steel. According to the president of the Steelworkers Union, the company would have had to pay out 15 million in severance if they don't call back the 800 workers by mid-July.

Many of those who are taking early retirement packages say they are feeling pressured into retiring; and when U.S. Steel does get around to restoring full production, it will likely be part of a new collective agreement that hires in new employees at reduced wages, benefits and working conditions.

• 2 weeks later...
The steel industry is a notorious polluter and a perfect example of how "white man" has despoiled the once idyllic Indian Shangri-La that was "Turtle Island". So whay are you so happy about this?

Exactly.

I've always tried to figure out how the left justifies its hypocrisy when it comes to manufacturing jobs vs so-called global warming. They bemoan the loss of manufacturing jobs, but at the same time, push for enviornmental regulation that would lead to the loss of even more of jobs they're so upset that are disappearing. Go figure.

Here's an employer and company that was in the news also. Navistar, located in Chatham, On. the workers now are in contract talks, with the first two weeks being on summer shut-down. The head of the CAW has said he's never dealt with any company like this one. The Big 3 were a lot easier to talk to than this company but I'll like this editor page say it all that I found online

...http://www.chathamdailynews.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1644016

Edited by Topaz

• 2 weeks later...
Exactly.

I've always tried to figure out how the left justifies its hypocrisy when it comes to manufacturing jobs vs so-called global warming. They bemoan the loss of manufacturing jobs, but at the same time, push for enviornmental regulation that would lead to the loss of even more of jobs they're so upset that are disappearing. Go figure.

I have no idea why the Right justifies the elimination of manufacturing jobs while doing SFA about the environment. Its hard to figure out why they exists when the problems of the manufacturing sector are occurring while the "right" is in power. The same is true regarding the environment. The Right continues to ignore the environment. The Right has managed to come up with the LOSE LOSE proposition. An easy task while on the BBQ circuit and the world stage. Nothing like being petty at every chance. Don't problem solve, just make cheap shots and get a scape goat. This is just a bad government, with a bad leader, during a bad economic recession.

However, when one considers that the Environment and ISO 14000 standards that many companies set out to achieve are undermined by the Conservative drive to globalization and bigger profits of Global Corporations, we can alway blame the left for each new coal plant in China, and the 45,000 employees who are killed making consumer goods just so that we can get a toaster oven for $9.99

There is plently of hypocrisy to go around... but the Right loves to blame the left and continue to let unregulated markets fix the problem.

Good luck with that....

I have no idea why the Right justifies the elimination of manufacturing jobs while doing SFA about the environment. Its hard to figure out why they exists when the problems of the manufacturing sector are occurring while the "right" is in power. The same is true regarding the environment. The Right continues to ignore the environment. The Right has managed to come up with the LOSE LOSE proposition. An easy task while on the BBQ circuit and the world stage. Nothing like being petty at every chance. Don't problem solve, just make cheap shots and get a scape goat. This is just a bad government, with a bad leader, during a bad economic recession.

However, when one considers that the Environment and ISO 14000 standards that many companies set out to achieve are undermined by the Conservative drive to globalization and bigger profits of Global Corporations, we can alway blame the left for each new coal plant in China, and the 45,000 employees who are killed making consumer goods just so that we can get a toaster oven for $9.99

There is plently of hypocrisy to go around... but the Right loves to blame the left and continue to let unregulated markets fix the problem.

Good luck with that....

Well. speaking for myself... ;)

I blame the Left for its environmental stance because I think it's short-sighted! We keep adding costs to our domestic industries in the name of 'green' but we cheerfully ignore any and all imports from countries that do not impose similar restrictions.

To me, this is flat out blind and stupid! If making steel without smokestack scrubbers is bad for the air then why do we allow Chinese steel into our market? By having virtually NO environmental restrictions China has a HUGE advantage in price!

We ban sprays and chemicals on our food crops, lowering our yields and increasing our costs per acre. Yet food from countries that use the VERY SAME SPRAYS AND CHEMICALS is allowed into Canada with absolutely no problems.

I believe that is why the 'Right' considers the 'Left' to be hypocritical. It's as if the Left really doesn't care about the planet at all. If they did, they would insist on a level playing field. They only seem to care about making feel good moves here and then blissfully and willfully ignoring how it affects our competitiveness in the global economy.

It's not what they do, its how they do it!

Boneheads, the lot of them!