Sri Lanka boots Rae

That's not inconclusive at all. If a government gives you a visa it's presumed to be proper. And if you're going to claim the visa wasn't proper then you should have something to back that up and the cited article doesn't do that. There's no evidence the visa wasn't proper. Sure Sri Lanka can change it's mind and not allow someone in but that's got nothing to do with the visa. You seem to put too much faith in wikipedia. You didn't write that bit of the article did you? :unsure:

No, but somebody else did. You and I simply don't know the specific circumstances of his visa, proper or otherwise. The practical matter is that Mr. Rae was denied entry, with or without a proper visa.

My faith in a wiki is equal to your faith in the MSM.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, but somebody else did. You and I simply don't know the specific circumstances of his visa, proper or otherwise. The practical matter is that Mr. Rae was denied entry, with or without a proper visa.

My faith in a wiki is equal to your faith in the MSM.

That's an interesting conclusion given that the wiki cites the MSM when alleging an improper visa. Here's what the cite says:

Mr. Rae travelled to Sri Lanka on a private visit with a valid visa issued by Sri Lankan authorities, Ms. Welford noted.

Most articles on the subject from most sources agree it was a valid visa and this includes the Canadian government. The wiki made a mistake stop trying to defend it. Just admit it and move on. It's barely even relevant to the topic.

That's an interesting conclusion given that the wiki cites the MSM when alleging an improper visa. Here's what the cite says:

As I stated...your faith is grounded in the same puff of smoke.

Most articles on the subject from most sources agree it was a valid visa and this includes the Canadian government. The wiki made a mistake stop trying to defend it. Just admit it and move on. It's barely even relevant to the topic.

And if pigs had wings they could fly. I am just happy that someone cared enough to update the wiki on Commie Rae.

As I stated...your faith is grounded in the same puff of smoke.

No faith is involved the wiki quoted an article and quoted it wrong. It's an obvious error article says valid visa and the wiki says improper visa. There's no basis for the conclusion in the wiki. Just because the error suits your opinion of Rae doesn't make it true but it's interesting to see the lengths you'll go to try and support your opinions.

No faith is involved the wiki quoted an article and quoted it wrong. It's an obvious error article says valid visa and the wiki says improper visa. There's no basis for the conclusion in the wiki. Just because the error suits your opinion of Rae doesn't make it true but it's interesting to see the lengths you'll go to try and support your opinions.

I never claimed that it was true, but it did serve my purpose. It matters not to me either way, and Mr. Rae can rest easy knowing that you have his back.

As far as opinions go....they are like....ummm...nevermind.

Oh sure..."who cares if there really are weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, saying so serves our purpose."

Good God man! Why are you still around? You keep saying the same things over and over and over again. There's even a new president in Washington, and he does the same thing you do: yap yap yap.... And Hillary Clinton, my God when will the world be rid of this woman?

Canadians don't need Americans telling us what to do or think.

America under Bush screwed up big time. Why can't Americans see what the rest of the world sees, how shameful America is, then maybe they could all just shut up for a year and give the rest of the world a break...

...except for Sarah Palin (hugs and kisses); her voice is lovely:-)

Edited by the janitor

Oh sure..."who cares if there really are weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, saying so serves our purpose."

Good God man! Why are you still around? You keep saying the same things over and over and over again. There's even a new president in Washington, and he does the same thing you do: yap yap yap.... And Hillary Clinton, my God when will the world be rid of this woman?

I love it when a plan comes together.

Canadians don't need Americans telling us what to do or think.

Apparently many do...would be lost without America as a defining foil.

America under Bush screwed up big time. Why can't Americans see what the rest of the world sees, how shameful America is, then maybe they could all just shut up for a year and give the rest of the world a break...

...except for Sarah Palin (hugs and kisses); her voice is lovely:-)

Because that's not our style. No balls...no blue chips. Just ask Mr. Ignatieff.

See...you can't escape from the Amerikanskis.

Well at least he's not Prime Minister yet.

Umm, I know Americans don't like to be told they're wrong (I quess in that respect they have something in common with Al Qaeda), but I think Amerikanskis is actually spelled A-R-K-A-N-S-A-S.

Don't feel too bad though...I don't think many people from there can spell it either.

Arkansas...a computer in every school by 2015!!!!

Edited by the janitor

Well at least he's not Prime Minister yet.

Umm, I know Americans don't like to be told they're wrong (I quess in that respect they have something in common with Al Qaeda), but I think Amerikanskis is actually spelled A-R-K-A-N-S-A-S.

Don't feel too bad though...I don't think many people from there can spell it either.

Went through Arkansas back in 1976 while ferrying a 1964 Buick Riviera from Baltimore to 'Frisco. Blew a fan clutch so we stayed for the day. Fine enough place back then...better than Sri Lanka with Bob Rae.

Went through Arkansas back in 1976 while ferrying a 1964 Buick Riviera from Baltimore to 'Frisco. Blew a fan clutch so we stayed for the day. Fine enough place back then...better than Sri Lanka with Bob Rae.

I work with a guy from Arkansas. Super nice guy. Says bathtub gin and guns are okay, but bathtub gin, guns and girls are a bad combination. He's always telling me how he loves it here in Edmonton. How his wife and all other Canadian women are so much more intelligent and attractive than American women and how he feels privileged to be living up here in what he considers the greatest nation in the universe. Always tells me if we ever get attacked by the United States he'd fight and die for Canada and he'd be sure to take some of the enemy invaders with him. His only drawback is that he prefers Hillary over Sarah Palin ;)

This does not look good for the Liberal foreign affairs critic. I wonder if Ignatieff still has confidence that Rae can adequately perform his duties.

This does not look good for Conservative MP Deepak Obhrai, parliamentary secretary for foreign affairs. I wonder if Harper still has confidence that Obhrai can adequately perform his duties.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/comment/editori...798236-sun.html

"Sri Lanka is a sovereign nation. It had the right to bar Liberal MP Bob Rae and Conservative MP Deepak Obhrai, parliamentary secretary for foreign affairs, from entering the country.

Canada, after all, recently barred British MP George Galloway for the same reason Sri Lanka says it did Rae -- security concerns. Which just goes to show countries can act within their rights and still be wrong."

Saying that the Tamils had legitimate concerns that should be addressed and criticising the terrorist actions of the Tigers counts as standing for nothing? That position is barely nuanced yet people jump up and down and claim he's tying himself in knots with it.

He's trying a balancing act that is way out of balance - and doing it for pure politics. You're right in that if you look beyond these platitudes, it isn't really a nuanced position - the Tamils consider him a supporter while the Terrorist Tigers don't care if they are criticized - especially in Rae's politically-correct manner. The Tigers are notorious for carrying out various high profile attacks, including the assassinations of several high-ranking Sri Lankan and Indian politicians like Rajiv Gandhi, and for recruiting child soldiers. The LTTE invented the suicide belt and pioneered the use of suicide bombing as a tactic. They also pioneered the use of women in suicide attacks. Rae, like the Canadian government did - should have been pounding away at the inhumane tactics of the Terrorists - the world has to continually send a clear and strong message to these kinds of rogue elements.

Edited by Keepitsimple

He's trying a balancing act that is way out of balance - and doing it for pure politics.

No doubt you are referring to the actions of Stephen Harper in sending Conservative MP Deepak Obhrai, parliamentary secretary for foreign affairs to Sri Lanka. Or perhaps you are referring to the fact that Harper's government criticized Sri Lanka for deporting Obhrai and Rae.