Will Martin Resign? Get Shoved?

I admit this sounds truly weird.

But I wonder if the Liberals are starting to think they made a "Kim Campbell/John Turner mistake" with PM PM and they're considering other solutions. Are they looking elsewhere? Are they hanging their guy out to dry?

Mr. Martin did not take most of the questions on the issue at first, but seemed to grow increasingly frustrated until finally he lashed out and accused the opposition of being unable to ask questions about anything else besides the sponsorship problems. He accused them of making a "mockery" of the parliamentary process.

"The fact is, Mr. Speaker, this opposition is opposed to everything that is in the public interest."

G&M House Kinsella Sponsorship Memo

And how about 'Mr. Liberal' Ibbitson?

Signs increasingly point to a June election, which means Paul Martin is not seriously interested in healing the rift within the Liberal Party.

G&M Ibbitson

You can go to Kinsella's web site to get the lowdown on who leaked this memo:

Kinsella Musings

Wow!

As much as I enjoyed the complexity of Watergate, Mitchell (bungling guilty) and Deep Throat (side show), American political scandals have always resembled Hollywood movies to me.

Canadian political scandals, on the other hand, are like an ugly argument between neighbours on my street. (I wonder, worry, someone calls the police, and then it eventually turns into a funny anecdote alluded to over the fence...)

Do we really know who leaked the Kinsella memo?

Is this an attempt to depose PM Martin before the next election?

Is that within the realm of possibility?

Smoking gun or Conservative smoke?

BTW if John Ibbitison is same as one on CTV QP he is no Liberal. he is a walking commercial for Conservatives, just like (ha, ha) political pundit, Norm Spector. ;)

Wow, Maplesyrup

What else do you need to believe the Liberals may in fact be in need of some real accountability?

I would love to debate the merit of Liberal policy but until a least a minimal level of trust is established why bother.

They spin and lie and when caught they spin and lie.

Who care who leaked the memo, it was written and was received. It has been said before Martin is a liar or incompetent. Looks like maybe a little bit of both.

Conservative smoke or NDP smoke, who cares it is the Liberals that should feel the heat. Where there is smoke…..

Martin will not resign. They will loose seats and then Manley will take a run at him for the top job.

News release by his own party.

"Federal Liberals in Burnaby poised to accuse Prime Minister of racism

BURNABY(CKNW/AM980) -- The federal Liberal executive in Burnaby-Douglas is set to hold a news conference Tuesday to accuse their leader of conducting a race-based and undemocratic campaign in their riding.

Tania Kourline with the riding association says she's fed up with what is perceived as the coronation of federal Liberal Party B-C President Bill Cunningham.

She says the riding executive has been trying for months to have the national party recognize the nominations of two Asian candidates -- without success.

Kourline says if Cunningham is appointed, the executive will declare the move by Prime Minister Paul Martin undemocratic and race-based."

The knives will continue to come out. This will be a very interesting campaign.