Evolution classes optional under proposed Alberta law

A controversial Alberta bill will enshrine into law the rights of parents to pull their children out of classes discussing the topics of evolution and homosexuality.

The new rules, which would require schools to notify parents in advance of "subject-matter that deals explicitly with religion, sexuality or sexual orientation," is buried in a bill that extends human rights to homosexuals. Parents can ask for their child to be excluded from the discussion.

"This government supports a very, very fundamental right and that is parental rights with respect to education," said Premier Ed Stelmach.

Although Stelmach has confirmed the bill will give parents the authority to exclude their kids from classes if the topic of evolution comes up, Education Minister Dave Hancock said it won't change anything.

Evolution classes optional under proposed Alberta law

You have got to be kidding me.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the evolution thing is wishy washy at best.

As for the homosexual thing, my kids can learn what is "appropriate" from my wife and I. The last thing they need is some gay-loving liberal teacher telling them that this is natural behavior.

The bill says parents have the right, not that they have to pull their kids.

The bill says parents have the right, not that they have to pull their kids.

And why should they have the right? Homosexuality and evolution are here to stay, and the more people learn about them, the better off we'll all be.

Will the Province be passing legislation requiring that you obtain a pet licence for your dinosaur as well?

One of the comments...I loled.

And why should they have the right? Homosexuality and evolution are here to stay, and the more people learn about them, the better off we'll all be.

First, parents should retain the right to raise their kids. The NDP doesn't run the country yet. Being aware of homosexuality is one thing. Being taught that it's okay is another.

One of the comments...I loled.

Only the dangerous breeds need to be licensed. The velociraptor, tyrannosaurus and spineless-backed liberal should be licensed. The rest are okay with just a muzzle on walks.

First, parents should retain the right to raise their kids. The NDP doesn't run the country yet. Being aware of homosexuality is one thing. Being taught that it's okay is another.

It is OK in this society, and it doesn't matter how many people pull their kids out of school, it will still be OK. People should not have the option of ignorance.

What's the big frickin deal? Catholic schools in Alberta teach evolution, but you have the right to pull your kids if you don't like the subject matter. Always have. The bill is simply a legal instruction to teachers that they're not allowed to fail a kid on a "gay" test or one on "evolution".

Parents have (and should always keep) the right to decide what their kids learn.

The bill is simply a legal instruction to teachers that they're not allowed to fail a kid on a "gay" test or one on "evolution".

And that's wrong...especially when it comes to evolution...one of the pillars of scientific knowledge.

It's only wrong in your opinion.

Don't tell me you're trying to "force" your beliefs on others? Say it ain't so.....

Evolution...and even homosexuality...aren't beliefs. One is a very strong scientific theory and the other is scientific fact.

In your opinion.

No, it's not an opinion, it's scientific. Micro evolution is proven and there is overwhelming evidence of macro evolution. Homosexuality happens in hundreds of different species. There is no opinion here.

I am a person that believes in God and science. People are free to have their beliefs, but this is beyond that. This is promoting ignorance.

And a certain (sicko) segment of the population would use the same argument to support pedophilia.

Pedophilia isn't right, because it victimizes children...just as this law will.

You have got to be kidding me.

They already do it with muslim immigrants everywhere in the GTA and montreal... sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander no?

Oh sorry I forgot "integration" and "open mindedness" is only for the stupid white tax paying swine!

Its true that Minorities are "more equal" then we profane Euro-canadians...

And teaching evolution!? That will only make racists out of canadian children... for racial equality to be possible, it would have required that someone put a stop to human evolution 50 000 or more years ago... much better to tell kids that we were all made from some dirt and a second hand rib... and that Yahweh created us "as equals"... at least would make more sense to make good liberals out of these kids..

What's next. Should parents be also allowed to withdraw their kids of any class where there are teachings that contradict their views on immigrants, non-Whites, religious freedom?

But if that's they want, fine. Then schools should be mandated to put a big sign in front of the school:

Bullying, taunting, name calling, verbal or physical assault of any person on school property or during school activities on any ground of:

- ethnic background

- ancestry

- skin colour

- religious orientation

- place of origin

will be cause for immediate suspension, with NO EXCEPTION, and may be cause for expulsion.

Once the parasites have been thrpwn out, their parents can raise them and teach them exactly as they want.

Edited by CANADIEN

Parents don't want their kids to learn science, i.e. evolution?

They're welcome to school their kids at home.

Or they don't get to complain if SCIENCE faculties at university don't accept their kids. They don't get to complain if their lids don't qualify as teachers.

The usal nonsense. Homosexuality equates pedophilia.

Read the post again. I never said that. What I did was equate how various people will use the same shakey logic to prove just about anything.

Gays irk me. That's it.

Pedophiles deserve lead poisoning delivered through a long, metal tube.

Does that sound "equal"?

Once the parasites have been thrpwn out, their parents can raise them and teach them exactly as they want.

Got news for you, sport...parents already have that choice. As for your "sign", try reading a school charter once in a while. Pretty much everything you want to expouse is already written.

Another genius.