Harper's in deep, deep trouble

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Harper...7784/story.html

A good leader knows when he's in trouble. And Stephen Harper, on his 50th birthday, is in deep trouble. He's in trouble in the country, especially in Quebec; in trouble with the public service, which is putting down tools with his government; and increasingly in trouble with the Conservative Party, whose fault lines are cracking under the divisive and mean-spirited management style of the Prime Minister's Office.

But Harper is apparently oblivious to how much trouble he's in, because there's no one, other than Laureen Harper, who can tell him. He is a leader without confidants and without mentors. There is no one to tell him what he needs to hear, as opposed to what he wants to hear: not in the cabinet, not in the caucus, and certainly not in his own office.

Even Mulroney had Lougheed and Davis to tell him when things were bad.

Happy birthday Mr. Harper and hope someone is giving you some good advice on dealing with the various fault lines developing in your party and the government.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Harper...7784/story.html

Even Mulroney had Lougheed and Davis to tell him when things were bad.

Happy birthday Mr. Harper and hope someone is giving you some good advice on dealing with the various fault lines developing in your party and the government.

Wow. That was SO packed with proof, it nearly made me cry.

Here's a newsflash...Iggy needs to buy and

use some conditioner.

Gasp!!!

Edited by Hydraboss

And Harper needs to cut his hair........just as irrelevant btw. People in the press and in Ottawa can see that there is trouble in the Conservative party. They were talking about it today on Politics and I have heard rumblings for the last while. Harper's days as leader are most likely numbered.

And Harper needs to cut his hair........just as irrelevant btw. People in the press and in Ottawa can see that there is trouble in the Conservative party. They were talking about it today on Politics and I have heard rumblings for the last while. Harper's days as leader are most likely numbered.

...and so are the days left until the Earth explodes. I'm not going to lose sleep over either.

Every leader in history has been plagued by rumors of their untimely demise. The proof always surfaces at election time.

Every leader in history has been plagued by rumors of their untimely demise. The proof always surfaces at election time.

And sometimes those rumours are true. You think Harper is doing great right now?

The article was written by a Conservative.

Calling Ian McDonald a Conservative is a stretch.

You think Harper is doing great right now?

"Doing"? In opinion polls, or in the job he's doing?

He's the best prime minister this country has had in at least 40 years, so yes, he's doing very well.

Polls go up and down. Dion was in the lead between elections too, how did that turn out?

Keep in mind that The CPC has not even begun to define Ignatieff in the public's mind.

Calling Ian McDonald a Conservative is a stretch.

I'm not calling him one. I am saying he is one. He was a member of the PCs and one of the people who was part of the merger.

Just like Mulroney, he is and will always be a Conservative.

"Doing"? In opinion polls, or in the job he's doing?

He's the best prime minister this country has had in at least 40 years, so yes, he's doing very well.

Sorry, that is not what recent polls have shown.

As for the best PM in 40 years, what exactly has he done?

Polls go up and down. Dion was in the lead between elections too, how did that turn out?

Dion never had the full support of the party even after winning and compounded his problems by performing poorly thereafter.

Keep in mind that The CPC has not even begun to define Ignatieff in the public's mind.

Yes, we know the hyperpartisan, frothy mouthed attacks are coming. This time Harper has to deal with the economy as well and a lot of the focus will be on his performance.

The article was written by a Conservative.

Funny thing about that, Doktor, you only pay attention to conservative journalists/media when they have something negative or critical to say about a conservative. The rest of the time, when they are being critical of liberal politicians or policies, they can go to blazes, eh?

You keep beating your liberal drum all you want, it doesn't change the facts.

I'm not calling him one. I am saying he is one. He was a member of the PCs and one of the people who was part of the merger.

Just like Mulroney, he is and will always be a Conservative.

Well, semantics again, jdobbin. It depends on what definition you use.

I like dictionary definitions, not names from a team jersey. Many of us never thought of Mulroney or the PC's as Conservatives, except in name only. By word, deed and action they were simply modern Liberals who moved kinda slow!

By that definition, it would seem there are NO Conservatives around anymore! You should be happy! Even if your Liberals are out of power the CPC will do many if not most of the same things.

It's 1988 all over again. Our choices are red, pink or rose.

Well, semantics again, jdobbin. It depends on what definition you use.

Since I used a capital letter to start the word, there are no semantics involved. He is a Conservative despite any attempt to disown him.

I like dictionary definitions, not names from a team jersey. Many of us never thought of Mulroney or the PC's as Conservatives, except in name only. By word, deed and action they were simply modern Liberals who moved kinda slow!

Then I guess all the PCs or are now Conservatives are not real conservatives now. Do you want me to go through of the list of those starting with Mackay and Prentice?

By that definition, it would seem there are NO Conservatives around anymore! You should be happy! Even if your Liberals are out of power the CPC will do many if not most of the same things.

It's 1988 all over again. Our choices are red, pink or rose.

I can't believe the amount of disownership I am seeing among those on the right. The movement and the party are in worse shape than I thought.

Really? What's he done for the West?

That's what I'd like to know. Very little has changed....if anything...well, except for the fact that Alberta and Bc are worse off financially and Manitoba and Saskatchewan are better off, but that has nothing to do with Harper.

That's what I'd like to know. Very little has changed....if anything...

Maybe it's because Harper grew up in Toronto. He even went to the U of Toronto for two months, then dropped out and moved to Alberta. Harper's not a true Westerner. Maybe that's why he's done nothing for the West.

I wonder why he left Toronto? No chance of a political career there perhaps?

I agree completely. However, if you are a Westerner it's easier to get away with doing nothing for the West.

That I would agree with. "Well, at least he's not from Quebec," gets really old.

Maybe it's because Harper grew up in Toronto. He even went to the U of Toronto for two months, then dropped out and moved to Alberta. Harper's not a true Westerner. Maybe that's why he's done nothing for the West.

I wonder why he left Toronto? No chance of a political career there perhaps?

Goggle Stephen Harper and you can read his bio. His dad I think got a transfer Alberta where he works for Imperial Oil and Harper got a summer job there.