Ontario PC Leadership Race

At the same time, Ontario Provincial Police Commissioner Julian Fantino has called some Ontario Tory organizers to see if he would have support if he ran, Conservative insiders say.

Please let Julian Fantino run. As in really please.

I would welcome public humiliation lasting several weeks for that blowhard. He is nothing more than a lying manipulative arrogant piece of shite.

Anyone ever wonder why Cam Wooley quit? Julian Fantino

HIs days of being run out of .....

A) London

C) Richmond Hill

B) Toronto

D) OPP ( lets hope anyway)

would be music to my ears.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would welcome public humiliation lasting several weeks for that blowhard. He is nothing more than a lying manipulative arrogant piece of shite.

Anyone ever wonder why Cam Wooley quit? Julian Fantino

HIs days of being run out of .....

A) London

C) Richmond Hill

B) Toronto

D) OPP ( lets hope anyway)

would be music to my ears.

I concur ... He's looking for a way out perhaps because he's 'on the hot seat' in court ...

EDITORIAL

Mar 12, 2009 04:30 AM

One has to question the spending of public money in support of OPP Commissioner Julian Fantino's repeated attempts to oust an adjudicator presiding over an embarrassing police disciplinary hearing.

Fantino believes retired judge Leonard Montgomery is biased and wants him off the case. In pursuit of his removal, there have been three separate court proceedings before a total of seven judges since last November, with taxpayers footing the bulk of the bill.

The issues raised both in the OPP disciplinary hearing and in Fantino's efforts to remove the adjudicator are quite entangled. But some of the legal tangles were straightened earlier this week when a three-member Divisional Court panel unanimously ruled that Montgomery should stay on the case. In fact, the judges found that removing him "would be inimical to the proper working of the justice system."

In light of that clear verdict, one would expect the disciplinary hearing to proceed. But Fantino's lawyer, Tom Curry, declared that he will seek to appeal the Divisional Court's ruling.

When the tribunal was halted in October, Fantino was in the middle of an intense cross-examination by lawyer Julian Falconer, who is acting for two OPP officers in this case. It would be understandable if the commissioner were in no hurry to go back to that hot seat.

But the public would best be served by a timely adjudication of this disciplinary matter. To that end, Fantino should drop the appeal and allow Montgomery to get on with the job.

http://www.thestar.com/comment/article/600650

So Fantino's going to try to stall again.

It was clear in the reports from court that Fantino's real complaint is that the judge is not biased for him ... ie, won't let him cover up his lies.

Fantino can stall ... but he can't hide! :lol:

Edited by tango

Don't hold back, tell us what you really think :P

It's a toss up for me, I really want to see Finley run.

Don't hold back, tell us what you really think :P

It's a toss up for me, I really want to see Finley run.

Yeah, Finley would be great entertainment! Her opponents would keep Caledonia front and center!

There are two issues involved here. One is who might win the Tory leadership. The other is who might actually win a provincial election. They are NOT the same thing!

There are many possible candidates who could win the leadership but go nowhere after that. To my mind that makes them irrelevant. Much of their support would actually come from people who would never vote Tory anyway! They WANT a PC leader who can't win!

I happen to believe that only a Harris-philosophy leader has a hope of winning the premier's office. Why vote for any of the others when we already have a liberal in power?

I have never believed that Harris was as unpopular as his opponents keep saying. The Red Tories never wanted him to be the party leader. When he retired the same old Liberal media hacks kept insisting that the public never wanted him and after experiencing two terms had learned to hate him!

The only people who hated Harris that I saw were the same ones that had always hated him and had always supported other parties, like teachers and civil servants. It's not as if they stood for a possible source of Tory voters anyway.

Whenever these people talk about Harris today the heat of the personal, ad hominem vitriol is often just short of rabid lunacy! Yet none of them ever admits that their great 'bogeyman' had won two MASSIVE electoral victories!

Ives was a lame-ass candidate and since then we have had only Red Tory leaders. Dalton has walked to easy wins, almost uncontested.

I submit that the Tories CAN'T win with a Red Tory candidate! As I said, they've already got a liberal in power so why vote for another John Tory clone? As for the claims that the electorate doesn't want another Harris type premier, this premise has never been tested. However, we DO know that Ontarioans won't vote for a Red Tory!

For these reasons, I'm betting on Tim Hudak as the best possibility to get the Tories back into power here in Ontario. That's not to say someone else might not win the leadership. I'm just saying that if they do they won't win Queen's Park.

Which wouldn't at all surprise me! I've been watching the provincial Tories since Bill Davis was young and from what I've seen of Ontario's Red Tories, they would rather be in opposition than let a Blue Tory be their leader, especially if like Harris he won the premiership!

I happen to believe that only a Harris-philosophy leader has a hope of winning the premier's office. Why vote for any of the others when we already have a liberal in power?

Agreed, but with a touch more foresight than Harris had. His cuts, while needed, went too deep for me. And I want a PC premier provincially.

I have never believed that Harris was as unpopular as his opponents keep saying.

The only people who hated Harris that I saw were the same ones that had always hated him and had always supported other parties, like teachers and civil servants.

Whenever these people talk about Harris today the heat of the personal, ad hominem vitriol is often just short of rabid lunacy!

Yup, not as many as one is lead to believe, but damn they are loud.

• 1 month later...

I decided to right a letter to Christine Elliot today, here it is:

Subject: You're Right

Hi Christine,

I read in the paper today about how you do not want to support the abolition of the Human Rights Commission, and I think that is the right political move.

I am completely against what the HRC has become and who they target, especially after reading through Ezra Levant's new book, Shake Down. I do think the HRC should be abolished, but I agree that it should not be made into an election issue because there will be too many voters who are unaware of the path the HRC has gone down and will be against its abolition simply because going against 'human rights' just sounds wrong.

I do not want to see the PC Party of Ontario lose to the Liberals again next election - this McGuinty Government is driving me very close to abandoning this province despite my extended family here with its abuse of power, removal of rights, increases in taxes, and overall 'government knows best' nannyism.

Anyway, good luck in taking the helm of the PC Party, and good luck in winning the next provincial election.

Is there any kind of poll that suggests who is the front runner?

As my letter says, I would hate for one of the 2 guys who support abolishing the HRC to win the party leadership - only to blow another election and hand Liberals another majority over a minor election issue.

...The only people who hated Harris that I saw were the same ones that had always hated him..

Pretty amazing how that number grew while he was still in office. Couldn't face the music, claimed he was getting tired of politics and had Eve's take the punishment.

Pretty amazing how that number grew while he was still in office. Couldn't face the music, claimed he was getting tired of politics and had Eve's take the punishment.

Did it actually grow? Do you have anything to back that up?

I suspect that the same people who were always against him just got louder!

My point is that things were never actually tested with an election. We just had a bunch of folks who never wanted a Harris style government make sure we didn't have any choice, who then told us that was what we all wanted anyway!

It feels like manipulation, to me.

Even within the Tory party itself, there has always been a struggle between the Red and Blue Tory factions. The only reason Harris got the leadership in the first place was because the party was so far down in the polls the usual power brokers thought they had no chance and so let him get the job by default. They were totally shocked when he won his first huge majority and immediately started thinking of how to take the party back to a less right-wing style.

They got their wish with Eves but promptly lost the election!

That's why I say that to these people, it's better not to govern at all than to not be Pink Tories.

I'm a techie. To me, if it never passes a real test then it is simply opinion, not fact. By those lights, the idea that the majority of Ontario voters no longer want a Harris style government is just an opinion.

• 1 month later...
Whoever gets nominated, it won't matter. It will take a generation at least for the PCs to recover from the Harris/Eves disaster.

I don't know about that. I think there are a lot of people not at all happy with flip flop mcguinty - I am certainly one of those.

Hudak is the new leader... I don't know anything about him other than many see him as too far right of centre.

So... what do people here think of Hudak? Does he stand a chance in the next election?

I heard on the news that Dean Del Mastro, was thinking of it and all I gotta say the Ontario government would be in the same trouble as the House of Commons because Del Mastro is one of the smart-mouths Tories in the house! He's also a former foreign car salesman, so how would that be good for Ontario? Here's his bio. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_Del_Mastro

Say no more

Klees is out Oleg. Hudak won - he is the leader of the PC Party.

Thanks for the info......Hudak - that sound Ukrainian ---hum - might be able to utilize that ? Oh that other guy - the used car saleman that sounds like his name belongs on the credits of the Sapranos === what ever his capacity - nope - don't like that whole woodbridge thing - someone correct me before I trash talk...

:lol:

I don't know about that. I think there are a lot of people not at all happy with flip flop mcguinty - I am certainly one of those.

Hudak is the new leader... I don't know anything about him other than many see him as too far right of centre.

So... what do people here think of Hudak? Does he stand a chance in the next election?

I suppose I haven't been paying close enough attention so I'm not sure about the extent of this flip-flopping, but in general he seems to be taking the standard populist approach that served the PCs well for many decades before it all fell apart in the mid-80s and Harris/Eves saw fit to ignore. People in Ontario don't want to be bothered by provincial politics--they just want the government to run smoothly. But you have to admit McGuinty is an unenviable position: finances were screwed up by Harris/Eves, the federal government is staunchly anti-Ontario, and now an historic global economic crisis...

McGuinty is protected as long as Harper stays in office! Ontario has a long history of reluctance to choose a Premier who belongs to the same party as the Prime Minister. McGuinty beat that rule in 2003 when he was elected Premier, but his first budget cost the Federal Liberals support in Ontario, and ended Paul Martin's brief reign as Prime Minister, returning Queen's Park to its natural state of opposition to Parliament Hill.

No kidding! Much has been made of his support for the Harris economic philosophy, but there has been little attention towards his views on social policy, which are likely extreme right. We did learn during the campaign, that he wants to scrap the Ontario Human Rights Tribunal. This issue split the four leadership candidates right down the middle, since even in the provincial Conservative Party, abolishing the tribunals is recognized as kissing off every non-white vote out there. Frank Klees and...I forget the female candidate's name...they wanted to reform the process rather than signal that a Conservative government is only interested in angry white voters who hate immigrants and brown or black people.

Personally, I'll support anything that stands in the way of our new, Republican-style Conservative parties, including voting for Dalton McGuinty.

Klees is out Oleg. Hudak won - he is the leader of the PC Party.

Heard Mike Harris give his blessing to Hudak this morning - this is slightly distressing - If Harris is behind him and the Stronachs are behind Harris - instead of getting a Christian like Frank Klees - we now have corporate secular atheists in charge - just great..some strange Austrian Darwinism? Do we want that - I think I will simply cross the floor in my little world. YOU don't want a good man to bring stabilty to Ontario - and the rest of Canada - seems that those of questionable character will now send out their henchmen to attempt to take the city state of Toronto - if that is going to work - they had better start fixing elections - no one wants respectable gangsters in charge - we already have that.

It's never about the people, it's always about power and empire - it's tiresome to have some corporate 67 year old and some bankster gangster pushing 70 ruling the roost for power and powers sake alone - God they make me sick - this is not a damned ant farm for spoiled aging rich boys who are half crazy.

I heard that Mcguinty not running in the next election, so it will depend on who the new leader is and I think it will be between the NDP and the Libs. Anyone close to Harris just loss the race for Premier!

I rather doubt that the NDP has any chance at all of winning Ontario, at least until a lot of people that remember Rae's government grow old and die.

A dog would have a better chance of winning Ontario than the NDP.

A DEAD dog, in fact!

Guest icbones
Frank Klees is a good man - we need one good man - now!

Kless, IMO does not qualify as being refered to as a good man. Frank is no defender of individual rights and freedoms. He would continue with Dalton's nanny state mentality. Frank was the original creator of Ontarios anti-racing law. Frank is quoted as saying he is Ok with people being wrongly charged with Ontarios new anti-racing law.

“I had an argument over the phone with Klees in the spring of 2006 when a `safer roads’ bill was initially proposed. My argument was simple: the new law could sink a car enthusiast who is doing nothing wrong, other than simply driving his or her modified car.

It’s because the bill negatively profiles the modified car enthusiast and gives the officer full discretion, with no due process for the accused.
Pretty simple, a copper having a bad day can screw a car enthusiast
simply because he chooses to. When I suggested that this will happen often if 203 becomes law, Klees told me he `could live with that.’

OPP Officer Charged For Allegedly Falsifying Traffic Stops
Friday May 29, 2009 CityNews.ca Staff The OPP have arrested and suspended one of their own, after an officer was accused of laying charges against three different drivers for speeding or violating the new street racing law based on false evidence.

Kless, IMO does not qualify as being refered to as a good man. Frank is no defender of individual rights and freedoms. He would continue with Dalton's nanny state mentality. Frank was the original creator of Ontarios anti-racing law. Frank is quoted as saying he is Ok with people being wrongly charged with Ontarios new anti-racing law.

Its all part of the Conservative and Liberals Law and Order Strategy.... However, these are popular laws...

I rather doubt that the NDP has any chance at all of winning Ontario, at least until a lot of people that remember Rae's government grow old and die.

A dog would have a better chance of winning Ontario than the NDP.

A DEAD dog, in fact!

I figure, the Liberal Rep on Hamilton Mountain would be well suited to be replaced by a dead dog, or if a dead dog isn't running ... an New Democrat..... and I expect Hamilton Provincially could follow in the same vein as its Federal Counter parts....

The ONDP, don't have alot of seats, neither do the Conservatives for that matter. I expect both parties to gain some seats... and I don't see the NDP forming a government for the reasons you have stated... Bob Rae was no Roy Romanov, Gary Doer, Tommy Douglas, or Alan Blakeny, and it appears that this Dexter Guy is not going to pull a Rae... But Ontario NDP will be tainted for that one kick at the can....

However, I expect people are sick of McGuinty and not yet ready to jump at another CSR. Therefore, what we are going to see is a housecleaning of sorts, where some of the dead wood of the McGuinty Government that should have been removed in 2007, will get removed in 2011. People will go to whichever Candidate best represents their values... and thus, I expect the NDP will gain Northern Rural Communities where they do very well, whereas the PCs will do better in Rural Southern Ontario and Eastern Ontario, and gain some ground in the 905 region. But people still hate the PCs for selling that highway.. they hate them, they hate them, they hate them... and if you ever want to call an arrogant company, just call the 407 ETR , the sweetharts who got the sweeheart deal from Mike Harris and the Common Sense Revolution... This is probably one of the few sticking points, but it still resonates....

Working class regions like Windsor, are probably going to dump high profile people like Sandra Pupettelo and go move to the NDP.... The PCs and NDP combined may come short of dislodging the Liberals, but it is early, and perhaps ..... oh... a minority government in 2011.....

Guest icbones
Its all part of the Conservative and Liberals Law and Order Strategy.... However, these are popular laws...

I disagree with you on them being popular. If you mean popular with the mainstream media, yes. Popular with a few sheeple whose brains have been numbed with a constant diet of pablum from the MSM, yes. But there is a face book group http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=35271482979 that has 143,000 members not happy with the recent barrage of new laws aimed at motorists that were designed as revenue generators. There have been articles and books written claiming the anti-street racing law is unconstitutional http://blog.legalaction.ca/does-ontario%E2...rter-of-rights/.

The only reason the anti-racing law has any support at all is because Bill 203 was created by MPP Donna Cansfield as a sexy way to advance her career in politics. It was based on an incident that due to false and inaccurate info by the mainstream media allowed her to table her private members Bill. On May 2006 the media claimed that two "street racers" were driving at 140 mph in an 80 zone when one of them hit the car that Rob Manchester was driving. On October 2007 the story is different. It turns out that the two drivers were travelling at between 90-112kph in the 80 zone when one of them struck Rob Manchester's vehicle while he was making a left hand turn. It was also reported that Manchester's BAC was over twice the limit. But prosecutor Doug Kasko said the victim should not be blamed. That's a change. A crown prosecutors says that a drunk driver should not have any blame in an accident.