Ignatieff continues to make overtures to farmers, west

jdobbin

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...y/politics/home

He didn't offer any solutions or lay out any policy in his speech. Rather, he says there are three questions that must be addressed — what tools farmers need to compete in the 21st century economy, what incentives should there be to recognize the role played by farmers in ensuring the agricultural sector is sustainable and how young Canadians can be encouraged to stay on farms and become agricultural leaders.

“We should be making government policies that build bridges between urban and rural Canada, not drive wedges between us.”

The policy ideas that emerge in the next months in this area are what I am most interested in seeing.

http://www.thestar.com/News/Canada/article/593063

Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff, who recently positioned himself as a supporter of the oilsands, was emphatic in his disdain for the National Geographic story.

"National Geographic is not going to teach me any lessons about the oilsands," he said.

"This is a huge industry. It employs Canadians from coast to coast. We have oil reserves that are going to last for the whole of the 21st century. We are where we are. We've got to clean it up, and we've got make it a sustainable place to work and live."

The oil sands issue still needs environmental solutions but there is also a need to recognize that oil will still play a part in our economy and to defend against those that would close it before alternatives are found.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...y/politics/home

The policy ideas that emerge in the next months in this area are what I am most interested in seeing.

http://www.thestar.com/News/Canada/article/593063

The oil sands issue still needs environmental solutions but there is also a need to recognize that oil will still play a part in our economy and to defend against those that would close it before alternatives are found.

Think he'll have to get elected and put his money where his mouth is. He does have a refreshing attitude compared to previous Liberals. However talk is cheap.

Think he'll have to get elected and put his money where his mouth is. He does have a refreshing attitude compared to previous Liberals. However talk is cheap.

I think we need to give him a chance. He's reaching out. It's an uphill battle but so far he's on the right track.

I would honestly like to see new leaders across the board, to give some fresh ideas and hopefully stop the partisan squabbling. Harper has taken his party as far as he can. Layton has stagnated. Make the next election a little more exciting.

Pat Martin, Jim Prentice and Michael Ignatieff. Now there's a race.

I think we need to give him a chance. He's reaching out. It's an uphill battle but so far he's on the right track.

I would honestly like to see new leaders across the board, to give some fresh ideas and hopefully stop the partisan squabbling. Harper has taken his party as far as he can. Layton has stagnated. Make the next election a little more exciting.

Pat Martin, Jim Prentice and Michael Ignatieff. Now there's a race.

Harper had to prove himself to easterners to up his seat count. Ignatieff will have to do the same (if he gets into the PM seat). Too much bad blood out west b/w Liberals and Westerners, we'd have to see them govern and judge them for ourselves.

Prentice is about as charasmatic as a door. Bernard Lord would be a much better choice for the tories as they could improve their seat count out east with a Maritimer running the show.

Harper had to prove himself to easterners to up his seat count. Ignatieff will have to do the same (if he gets into the PM seat). Too much bad blood out west b/w Liberals and Westerners, we'd have to see them govern and judge them for ourselves.

Prentice is about as charasmatic as a door. Bernard Lord would be a much better choice for the tories as they could improve their seat count out east with a Maritimer running the show.

You're probably right. Prentice first earned my respect over the equal marriage issue. He decided to vote in favour but spoke to the congregation of his church to explain his reasoning. I thought that was nice.

I don't know Bernard Lord at all. I had to look him up when I read that he might be running for the Conservative leadership. He's from New Brunswick though, and so am I, originally.

I will still vote Ignatieff, but I love competition; and at least if he loses, we'll be assured a good Prime Minister. As a Canadian, that's all I ever really hope for. I'll still compain about the gov't no matter who ends up running it.

I don't know Bernard Lord at all. I had to look him up when I read that he might be running for the Conservative leadership. He's from New Brunswick though, and so am I, originally.

You would have to watch political shows to see and hear Lord. He comes off as eloquent, and has some personality. He's cool, but not cold. All in all would do a good job.

Here's a clip of him talking

Visit My Website

Edited by blueblood

Rather, he says there are three questions that must be addressed — what tools farmers need to compete in the 21st century economy, what incentives should there be to recognize the role played by farmers in ensuring the agricultural sector is sustainable and how young Canadians can be encouraged to stay on farms and become agricultural leaders.

Was he writing these on the blackboard? He's such an academic it's funny.

The comment about young Canadians staying on farms to become agricultural leaders might have had all farmers rolling their eyes at the same time. That's impressive.

"What tools they need to compete" :lol: ---- That does not found very earthy on the part of Ignateiff...agriculture was never meant to be a competative profit making venture...it is not a contest to be waged globally - that leads to abuse and a nasty controling attitude over human beings that get hungry.. The duty of a farmer is to grow food and feed people - our people first then others. Ignatieff should be saying to the farmer - What can I do to make sure that you are not harrassed out of existence?

The comment about young Canadians staying on farms to become agricultural leaders might have had all farmers rolling their eyes at the same time. That's impressive.

Here are more details on Ignatieff's meeting with the Canadian Federation of Agriculture.

The annual general meeting of the Canadian Federation of Agriculture was being held in an airy ballroom in the back corner of the basement of a downtown hotel. A hundred or so farmers sat in beige chairs around tables decorated with white and purple tablecloths.

---

Michael Ignatieff, in dark suit, pinkish shirt and red tie, arrived at a quarter past four, shaking hands and smiling as he wound his way between the tables and chairs to the makeshift stage at the front of the room. There he took a ceremonial swig from a glass of milk, gave a thumbs up to the crowd and was applauded for his effort.

“I’ve just drunk an extremely delicious glass of Canadian milk,” he said.

Soon enough the prospective prime minister was telling that story about his uncle’s dairy farm in rural Quebec.

---

Flanked by the flags of Canada, the provinces and territories, he spoke of the rural-urban divide as no less than a matter of national unity. “I don’t want to live in a Canada where hope and opportunity only exist downtown,” he said.

He referred to farmers as “stewards of the land” and “stewards of the water.” He pledged to “build bridges,” not “drive wedges.”

“We can stitch this back together,” he said.

He spoke directly to his party’s shortcomings in this regard. ”I don’t want to be the leader of an urban downtown party,” he said.

“I don’t want to develop policy from some ivory tower in Ottawa,” he added.

The prepared text distributed by his office was more less moot. Only passingly did he seem to pay it any attention.

“This,” he said at one point, “is an emotional issue.”

---

The president of the pork council wanted to know how Canada might better export its meat. “It’s a great question,” Ignatieff commended, proceeding with an extended consideration of diplomacy, pork production, slaughterhouse capacity and something called a “market access secretariat.” We must get into “the guts” of the American political machine, he explained.

The chairman of the egg farmers commended him on his interest in agriculture affairs and thanked him for finding time to speak here.

“Guys,” Ignatieff said, dismissing any suggestion of extraordinary effort on his part, “this is what I do for a living.”

He concluded his 30-minutes then with a consideration of supply management. “I’m a strong supporter of supply management,” he assured.

http://blog.macleans.ca/2009/02/25/the-com...nd-the-farmers/

I didn't know that farmers are stewards of the water. I thought they were just plain old stewards of the land. You gotta listen to this guy Ignatieff. You learn something every time he speaks.

"What tools they need to compete" :lol: ---- That does not found very earthy on the part of Ignateiff...agriculture was never meant to be a competative profit making venture...it is not a contest to be waged globally - that leads to abuse and a nasty controling attitude over human beings that get hungry.. The duty of a farmer is to grow food and feed people - our people first then others. Ignatieff should be saying to the farmer - What can I do to make sure that you are not harrassed out of existence?

Wrong my duty is to make money. Just like the other guy.

Wrong my duty is to make money. Just like the other guy.

You have to grow product. You are not GM - and no one is going to send you money for being a farmer - Farmers are considered the low end of the class structure...and rich people bail out rich people as you can see...once I tried to paint (art) strickly for cash --- the results was inferiour - you have to have a reason and purpose other than money...do a good job and the money comes..I just have a sense that farmers have it bad and are disrespected - and the covetess corporate world is more interested in creating large agricutural collectives or rip up the top soil and stick in ten thousand boxes called homes - then lobby Ottawa for more immigration to fill the boxes... off track for a moment...a musican will never make a dollar unless he plays beautifully - but he needs an opportunity - I feel that young farmers are now being robbed of opportunity.

You have to grow product. You are not GM - and no one is going to send you money for being a farmer - Farmers are considered the low end of the class structure...and rich people bail out rich people as you can see...once I tried to paint (art) strickly for cash --- the results was inferiour - you have to have a reason and purpose other than money...do a good job and the money comes..I just have a sense that farmers have it bad and are disrespected - and the covetess corporate world is more interested in creating large agricutural collectives or rip up the top soil and stick in ten thousand boxes called homes - then lobby Ottawa for more immigration to fill the boxes... off track for a moment...a musican will never make a dollar unless he plays beautifully - but he needs an opportunity - I feel that young farmers are now being robbed of opportunity.

The CWB, and various firms give me money when I sell my product. That means I am getting paid.

Last time I checked large land owners who earn and spend hundreds of thousands of dollars are not on the low end of any class structure.

Grain prices these days and long term market fundamentals are ensuring that nobody is being robbed of opportunity.

The CWB, and various firms give me money when I sell my product. That means I am getting paid.

Last time I checked large land owners who earn and spend hundreds of thousands of dollars are not on the low end of any class structure.

Grain prices these days and long term market fundamentals are ensuring that nobody is being robbed of opportunity.

I did not mean to de-mean..so excuse me about the class comment...what I was really saying is that your job is probably the most important one on earth. As for farmers - it's the demise of the tradtional family farm that I find a bit distressing - Those who are intergenerationally experienced make good farmers - just as the son or daughter of a good banker - make good bankers...and don't get me going on genetically modified plants...that gets touchy...and greed should never play into the agricultural equation...go head - make money - you deserve that new pick up that is actually used to do work...and maybe your kids want to be bankers..send them to school - as for grain prices ---- thinking back to the 60s when millions of tons were dumped down mine shafts - that's no way to keep prices up - it has an obscene smell about it.

I did not mean to de-mean..so excuse me about the class comment...what I was really saying is that your job is probably the most important one on earth. As for farmers - it's the demise of the tradtional family farm that I find a bit distressing - Those who are intergenerationally experienced make good farmers - just as the son or daughter of a good banker - make good bankers...and don't get me going on genetically modified plants...that gets touchy...and greed should never play into the agricultural equation...go head - make money - you deserve that new pick up that is actually used to do work...and maybe your kids want to be bankers..send them to school - as for grain prices ---- thinking back to the 60s when millions of tons were dumped down mine shafts - that's no way to keep prices up - it has an obscene smell about it.

What's wrong with Genetically Modified products

Those "big" corporations have developed a strain of rice to prevent poor children from going blind, not only that they're giving the seeds away.

Those GM crops are like that so it is easier and cheaper to grow them.

Greed should always play into the ag equation, it has benefitted our country, and allows advances in technology.

We don't dump millions of tons down mineshafts anymore, we just burn it. Can't afford the bill, we find someone who can. It also allows poor people to grow their own stuff instead of guys like me flooding the market.

What's wrong with Genetically Modified products

Those "big" corporations have developed a strain of rice to prevent poor children from going blind, not only that they're giving the seeds away.

Those GM crops are like that so it is easier and cheaper to grow them.

Greed should always play into the ag equation, it has benefitted our country, and allows advances in technology.

We don't dump millions of tons down mineshafts anymore, we just burn it. Can't afford the bill, we find someone who can. It also allows poor people to grow their own stuff instead of guys like me flooding the market.

It's a third world issue with me in regards to G Modifications. Old tribal families say in Africa could grow crop and put part of it away as seed ---- from what I understand...the new seeds will not grow so some poor devil somewhere has to buy more..this takes away the independence of the real farmer...good luck with your huge grow operation...just thinking of the little guy...now I am going to put on a CD and watch Grapes Of Wrath one more time. Idealism mixed with a bit of controled greed may work better - look at all the money the feds in the states grew - and now it will not sprout. :lol:

It's a third world issue with me in regards to G Modifications. Old tribal families say in Africa could grow crop and put part of it away as seed ---- from what I understand...the new seeds will not grow so some poor devil somewhere has to buy more..this takes away the independence of the real farmer...good luck with your huge grow operation...just thinking of the little guy...now I am going to put on a CD and watch Grapes Of Wrath one more time. Idealism mixed with a bit of controled greed may work better - look at all the money the feds in the states grew - and now it will not sprout. :lol:

not all stuff is G Mod, there are stuff that isn't. The Africans can grow that until they can afford to grow GM.

Like I said they are almost giving away Golden Rice, no terminator gene and no red tape with that one.

not all stuff is G Mod, there are stuff that isn't. The Africans can grow that until they can afford to grow GM.

Like I said they are almost giving away Golden Rice, no terminator gene and no red tape with that one.

Terminator gene...thats a bit spooky - so you are a good guy...maybe we should not use the word greed and replace it with profit or the phrase earn a good living...You seem very knowledgeable...and dispite your tough exteriour I smell a heart. So much of that interaction. Back to my education .......what do you believe Ignatieffs motives are with these so-called overtures to farmers...in the west?

Terminator gene...thats a bit spooky - so you are a good guy...maybe we should not use the word greed and replace it with profit or the phrase earn a good living...You seem very knowledgeable...and dispite your tough exteriour I smell a heart. So much of that interaction. Back to my education .......what do you believe Ignatieffs motives are with these so-called overtures to farmers...in the west?

Votes

thats politics

I thought politicians are supposed to be useful....no I won't recite the parable about the wheat and the terrs. Makes you wonder if the term Prime Minister or wanna be ministers have forgotten what the word means? A servant ......If Ignatieff is really genuine he should ask the question...how can I serve you... what shape are these overtures in...? How can I promise you? Like you said - profit...can Iggy insure the safety and independence of western farmers - or just promise them more money? Jeeeeez maybe a few bail outs to go for a few new hay bailers? Or a nice big top of the line combine for everyone...made in Canada of course..so much for my attempt at humor. What do you as a farmer expect from Ottawa at this point in order to maintain stablity?

If Ignatieff is really genuine he should ask the question...how can I serve you... what shape are these overtures in...? How can I promise you?

Well Oleg, he came darned close to saying exactly that to the farmers. I listened to his whole speech at the Canadian Federation of Agriculture meeting on CPAC tonight. He said:

"If I don't listen to you, I'm dead in the water."

Well Oleg, he came darned close to saying exactly that to the farmers. I listened to his whole speech at the Canadian Federation of Agriculture meeting on CPAC tonight. He said:

"If I don't listen to you, I'm dead in the water."

Let me translate that...give me a minute. He's saying his postion is vulnerable and he has no power yet..but if elected he will be very helpful...sounds dramtic and sincere...it's such an odd and open statement...so was his heart dangling from his shirt sleeve? It does sound submissive but not very confident....servant like? He sounds like he is giving it a good try. Time will tell....this man is Iggy the enigma. I just hope the water he is taking about is a river that flows both ways and is not his private little pond and he the big fish.

Let me translate that...give me a minute. He's saying his postion is vulnerable and he has no power yet..but if elected he will be very helpful...sounds dramtic and sincere...it's such an odd and open statement...so was his heart dangling from his shirt sleeve? It does sound submissive but not very confident....servant like? He sounds like he is giving it a good try. Time will tell....this man is Iggy the enigma. I just hope the water he is taking about is a river that flows both ways and is not his private little pond and he the big fish.

To his credit, he's trying.

Speaking of water, maybe that's why he said early in his speech that farmers "are stewards of the water". You know, the water he doesn't want to die in. :lol:

To his credit, he's trying.

Speaking of water, maybe that's why he said early in his speech that farmers "are stewards of the water". You know, the water he doesn't want to die in. :lol:

Did he really say that? That's corny - I thought he was an accomplished writer? Maybe we can get Obamas writers on the payroll? He may need a good word smith and spinner.