OPP charges one of its own

tango

OPP charges one of its own

Posted 10 hours ago

http://www.brantfordexpositor.ca/ArticleDi...28652&auth=

The Ontario Provincial Police has charged a member of its own force for driving a police vehicle while on duty in excess of the posted speed limit.

On January 31, 2009 Brant County OPP stopped the unmarked OPP vehicle on Highway 403 for driving 165 km/hour in a posted 100 km/hour zone. The subsequent investigation found that the officer was not within the lawful execution of her duties at the time.

Detective Constable Heidi Fischer was charged with driving 50 km/hour or more over the posted speed limit, contrary to Section 172 of the Highway Traffic Act.

The officer's driver's licence was suspended for the required 7 days and the OPP unmarked vehicle was impounded for 7 days.

Detective Constable Fischer is a four year member of the OPP posted to Provincial Operations Intelligence Bureau at General Headquarters in Orillia and will appear in Provincial Offences Court in Brantford on March 24, 2009.

Well there ya go ... one law for all!

Had to impound the car too! :lol:

Guest icbones

After this incident they had to.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/200...reetracing.html

2 OPP officers avoid instant penalties after being charged under street-racing law

Ontario Provincial Police Commissioner Julian Fantino says it won't happen again

Last Updated: Wednesday, September 3, 2008 | 8:38 AM ET Comments103Recommend87CBC News

'The law is equal to all and so is accountability and I think it shows that we mean business,' says OPP Commissioner Julian Fantino. (Nathan Denette/Canadian Press)Ontario Provincial Police Commissioner Julian Fantino has said repeatedly that drivers who go 50 km/h over the speed limit will have their car seized on the spot and their licence suspended for seven days — with no exceptions.

But there were two exceptions, and both were OPP officers.

Const. Michael Deyell and Const. Lloyd Tapp are the only two police officers charged under Ontario's street-racing laws. Both were on-duty, in marked cars, and charged by their colleagues.

It's alleged Deyell was driving at 60 km/h over the speed limit in December 2007. His cruiser slammed into two horses, killing them. Deyell himself was injured and sent to hospital.

Tapp is accused of driving his cruiser 50 km/h over the limit in March — and was clocked by an OPP colleague.

Under the new legislation, both officers should have had their licences and cars seized but that didn't happen.

Fantino said that was a mistake.

"The law is equal to all and so is accountability and I think it shows that we mean business," he said.

"We're not playing favourites here. I mean, people know what the rules of the road are and I think that we have to be transparent. We have to be consistent and we have to be fair."

Since new street-racing legislation came into effect last year, police have trumpeted the fact they've charged nearly 8,000 drivers.

OPP Const. Dave Woodford said the law will be applied equally from now on.

"I was with Commissioner Fantino over the weekend when he did say that they were looking at it differently. That the vehicles would be parked for seven days and that the officers' licenses would be suspended," said Woodford.

"If this were to be repeated again, there would be a different outcome, I assure you," said Fantino.

Tapp is on administrative duty, while Deyell is recovering and is expected to return to duty shortly.

Both men have trials set for the fall.

We shall see how this plays out. Somehow I doubt the punishment will be equal to acivilians, however I could be wrong.

So, who pissed who off???

1) Is it a Cop just doing his job?

2) Did they charged officer say the wrong thing at the wrong time, and thus not find the "get out of jail free card" nudge nudge wink wink.

3) Does the Cop not like the STunting Law... and thought this would be fantastic way to highlight a speeding charge. Confiscate a Cruiser for a week.

I am going to follow this, to see where this ends up.

1) Does she

a) Get off Completely

B) get the Charge Reduced to Speeding

c) Plead Guilty and live with some humilation and embarrassment from her peers and supervisors.

Now if we can get them from using their cells phone while drivng! This policemen isn't in any hurry and I figure if he need to talk to the shop, he use the mike on his radio.

Cell phones are essential for these people. Two way radio is very limited when it comes to the amount of traffic it can handle at any given time. VHF radio is also line of sight and radio communications might not be possible in some places particularly for police operating in rural areas.

What bugs me is people who drive with dogs in their laps. Aside from the distraction, an air bag goes off, driver and dog become one.

About 15 years ago a young female police officer etered my home when my wife was going coo coo and trying to get rid of me so she could date the Scillian that heard voices. :rolleyes: The woman walks into the house and looks at the perpetually lying wife and quietly whispers into my ear ---"This woman does not love you - time to spread your wings and fly" - so she put me into my high tork car drunk and off I went ---- I covered over 30 K in about 5 minutes - I was doing over 200 km --- passing speeders like they were in slow motion....it all worked out by Gods grace - no disintigration of me or some other poor soul.

About a year later some nasty drunken pill popping feminist doctor friend of the wife - 911s me and tells a lie ---- off I go in cuffs..to the drunk tank not having a clue what was going on ----so they call it the "cooler" - instead of burning you alive they crank up the AC and freeze you to death...does not leave a mark that way -----SO - I remember what my agent once said "act your way out" - so I fake a heart attack ---boy was I good ---so right through the walls I go to the finest upscale hospital and a real warm bed with wires on my chest...

They figure out the ruse and some male cops come in to drag me back to the cooler - I refuse to get out of bed --- I say to them "This is one of the richest hospitals in Canada - do you really want to see me kicking and screaming as you drag me through the emerg??? So they leave - then in comes the same cop - the hot tom boy female...she looks at me and says "Look where you are I told you to get out and away from that woman" -- so I like her and I comply - she sticks me in the crusier and then the horrific fun began.

This woman with the gun was a lunitic - she began to show off --- a donut out of the parking lot then down the two lane rural black top doing 120 miles an hour ---- I thought I was going to die - but not really ----so this cop was much like the one mentioned....she was FASSSST! In the end I refuse to plead guilty to anything for almost 2 years --- then a nice female judge dropped the charge and reprimanded the crown for harrassing me and allowing the crap to go on so long --- You can't keep a good man down or a hot pistol totting lady cop from riding her horse like she was the queen of speed.

• 2 weeks later...
The unmarked car was not impounded, it was parked in the police lot in Orillia for security reasons.

I hope this Damn Street Racer/Detective beats the charge and shows what a joke this section of the HTA is!

Are you certain? How did the car get from Brantford to Orillia? I hear that the woman is part of the Unit that investigates the Police. That may have something to do with "why" we see them charging one of their own.

Not a common act among forces.

I don't know who you can change the Stunting Law. It appears to be popular amongst the public. People tend to believe that those getting charged, really deserve it.