Tories ditch Cadman suit against Liberals

madmax

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the court of public opinion, Canadians felt that the Tories did in fact, offer a bribe to Cadman and this is just one of many scams that this government pulled. Just like what the NDP keep saying...you can't trust this government!

Sure, I'll believe it, thousands wouldn't LOL

In the court of public opinion, Canadians felt that the Tories did in fact, offer a bribe to Cadman and this is just one of many scams that this government pulled. Just like what the NDP keep saying...you can't trust this government!

Exactly. Harper's best bet is that this thing just goes away. He won't be suing anyone anytime soon. He's up to his neck now and if those boxes from the 2006 election funding get open, the media is going to have a field. Judging by the way they do things now, it should be quite interesting.

Sure, I'll believe it, thousands wouldn't LOL

Before news came out that the tape wasn't doctored, 1/3 of Canadians thought Harper was lying. Once proven that Harper did lie ....

Cadman Time Line

"Oct. 10: Court-ordered audio analysis by the expert Harper hired shows that the relevant portion of the tape — the part everyone quotes — contains no splices, edits or alterations."

Ex-Tory candidate wins lawsuit

The tide is turning and Harper is turning out to be not much a leader afterall.

I'm not sure you're much of a judge of what makes a good leader. All you seem to care about is whether a guy goes to a good college.

I'm not sure you're much of a judge of what makes a good leader. All you seem to care about is whether a guy goes to a good college.

The intellectual line probably won't work Asrgus, better to focus on the fact that he lived outside the country for so long... I mean really, who does he think he is????

The court of public opinion felt Jean Chretien and Paul Martin were up to their ears in adscam, as was most of the senior leadership of the Liberal party, including their Quebec lieutenant, Stephan DIon. In other words, the last three Liberal leaders were corrupt crooks who should have been imprisoned - according to the court of public opinion.

The court of public opinion felt Jean Chretien and Paul Martin were up to their ears in adscam, as was most of the senior leadership of the Liberal party, including their Quebec lieutenant, Stephan DIon. In other words, the last three Liberal leaders were corrupt crooks who should have been imprisoned - according to the court of public opinion.

Looks like the liberal lawyers dug up some dirt on the Conservatives....and a Mexican stand off occured. This is the only way they could cut such a deal - If you look long enough and hire tough and able experts - you can find at least one skeleton in the closet and a few dead mice.

Relax, word has it they are rigging the process and should be approved by Monday.

In the meantime , take a sip of water and chill ....no wait ....

1000 Comedians out of work.... and your telling Ontario Jokes. Don't quite your day job.

I was on a well until this year. Now I am on safe city water........ :unsure:

I just gathered a handful of snow and put it in a glass.. yummy. :P

The difference is that the Cadman family said that the Tories DID offer a bribe and the Adscam didn't have any wrong doings by your 3, especially DION!!! lol

Specualtion? Did you listen to the tape? If anyone was on their knees, it wasn't a Liberal.

I heard it. Every single expert called agreed that the tape was doctored. The only question was to what degree the meaning of the conversation was changed by that doctoring.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/06/04/...pe.html?ref=rss

"White noise has been added. It's not a complete tape."

The Conservatives quote audio experts Tom Owen and Alan Gough in the affidavit.

"Mr. Owen has found evidence that the edit that Mr. Zytaruk reportedly claims was a stop/start, was actually a computer edit made to the tape," said the affidavit.

According to Gough's sworn statement, "the tape is not a continuous recording of one conversation."

The tape is NOT a continuous recording of one conversation. It's a fake.

The Tory expert disagreed. Many legal experts say it took the wind out the sails for their case.
"White noise has been added. It's not a complete tape."

The Conservatives quote audio experts Tom Owen and Alan Gough in the affidavit.

"Mr. Owen has found evidence that the edit that Mr. Zytaruk reportedly claims was a stop/start, was actually a computer edit made to the tape," said the affidavit.

According to Gough's sworn statement, "the tape is not a continuous recording of one conversation."

The MSM's spin was that the experts said it was not doctored, but the experts actual reports clearly said it was, numerous times.

Edited by Bryan

The Tory expert disagreed. Many legal experts say it took the wind out the sails for their case.

As is said - "It may be immoral but it's legal". All the "experts" in the world can not change what is privledge - which has now stretched itself to the point of a closed shop that operates secretly. You really can not expect a decision based on right and wrong....All decisions dealing with pubic litigants are based always on some strange policy. All private and privledged decisions are in the realm of legalism - and if there is not a law to suit the spoiled brats they make one up on the spot or convolute existing laws. Frankly it is not about right or wrong anymore, it's about what ever the hell they want - apparently all got what they wanted. A court for the rich - where they prance and posture - and a court for the average person where the decisions are carved in stone even before you enter. Great! :lol:

The MSM's spin was that the experts said it was not doctored, but the experts actual reports clearly said it was, numerous times.

This was the key Tory expert:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canadavotes/story/2...adman-tape.html

The findings may call into question Harper's testimony about the interview during a sworn cross-examination conducted by a Liberal party lawyer in August.

The analysis was filed in Ontario Superior Court on Friday by lawyers for the Liberal party, despite attempts by Harper's lawyer to keep the opinion out of the court file until at least next week.

The expert in question is widely acknowledged to be the best in the business.

But former FBI agent Bruce Koenig, the sound expert Harper hired to prove his allegations, submitted a report dated Friday to Harper's lawyer, which also had to be sent to the Liberal lawyer Chris Paliare.

This has been reported many times. You have not seen it till now?

This was the key Tory expert:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canadavotes/story/2...adman-tape.html

The expert in question is widely acknowledged to be the best in the business.

This has been reported many times. You have not seen it till now?

All of the experts called by both sides unequivocally stated that the tape was altered. Every single one of them. Where they differed, was to what extent that altering changed the content of the conversation. Some flat out said it was fake, others simply said that it's not trust worthy. Nobody said it was an intact recording of the whole conversation.

Of course the part you are most conveniently leaving out is the most recent two expert reports. The ones the Liberals hired to try to prove the tape was authentic. Both of them said it was fake.

read: http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

watch: http://watch.ctv.ca/news/Redirect/?ClipId=102272

A new report has cast doubt on the authenticity of a taped conversation which the Liberals say implicates Conservative Leader Stephen Harper in a bribery scandal involving the late MP Chuck Cadman.

CTV News reported Monday that two audio experts, hired by the Liberal Party of Canada to analyze the tape, found that "the recording cannot be shown to be complete."

The tape is at the centre of a $3.5million libel suit that Harper filed against the Liberals.

The latest, Liberal-funded report states "it can be postulated that the original ... tape recording was digitized, edited digitally and the electronically placed on the evidence tape associated with this dispute."

The fact that the Liberals own evidence contradicts their defense is a far more likely reason why they settled out of court. I do find it telling that the CBC conveniently "forgot" to do a story on this report. Contrary to what the CBC so desperately wishes was true, the weight of the evidence is clearly in the PMs favour.

EDIT:

I just read a comment on a Liberal blog that made a hypothetical that I had not considered. Basically, that the deal probably was "you pass the budget, and we'll drop the lawsuit".

Edited by Bryan

All of the experts called by both sides unequivocally stated that the tape was altered. Every single one of them. Where they differed, was to what extent that altering changed the content of the conversation. Some flat out said it was fake, others simply said that it's not trust worthy. Nobody said it was an intact recording of the whole conversation.

However, the Tory expert who is considered to be the tops in the field said the section the Tories wanted to emphasize was not altered. Most experts said it took the steam out of Harper's lawsuit and may have led to Harper's lawyer resigning.

Of course the part you are most conveniently leaving out is the most recent two expert reports. The ones the Liberals hired to try to prove the tape was authentic. Both of them said it was fake.

I didn't leave out anything. I said that Tory lawsuit had run out of steam and they had tried to keep their own expert's testimony out since it would have hurt their case.

The fact that the Liberals own evidence contradicts their defense is a far more likely reason why they settled out of court. I do find it telling that the CBC conveniently "forgot" to do a story on this report. Contrary to what the CBC so desperately wishes was true, the weight of the evidence is clearly in the PMs favour.

The fact that Harper's own expert contradicts their claims and it hurt their case. So gimme a break and stop suggesting that Harper gave the Liberals a break.

As for this just being a CBC story, please. The Tory expert was mentioned in every paper that gets CP stories and by every branch of news media.

I just read a comment on a Liberal blog that made a hypothetical that I had not considered. Basically, that the deal probably was "you pass the budget, and we'll drop the lawsuit".

I say utter baloney. Harper doesn't roll that way. He doesn't do favours. If his case had merit, he would have continued it. His people said nothing the Liberals did was going to be satisfactory and that defeat in court was the only thing they would accept.

The goal of the Tories was to destroy the Liberals and this has been detailed many times by Harper's own adviser Tom Flanagan in the Globe and Mail.

EDIT:

there's a good reason you had to read that hypothetical nonsense from a, as you say, "Liberal blog" - cause it's so eerily quiet on the blogging Tory front. Quiet except for this widely circulating email thread from some of the more prolific Harper fluffers:

Conservatives Score Monumental Win in Cadman Case!

oh my! For something that was such a slam dunk... for something that was so airtight! Ya, ya - the Tories dropped their Harper defamation lawsuit cause they're so committed to the new spirit of co-operation! You betcha.