Could U.S. Stimulus Package Hurt Canada

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because the entire world is hurting as a result of what has happened. You can't just cut yourselves off and hope for the best.

You are not being consistent...if the US is the cause of all the world's financial problems, then it should be "cut off".

Truth is, the "world" is way too dependent on the US economy, including American consumerism and associated debt.

The party is over....

Bahahahaha! For the last eight years I've been reading on these internets about a large number of America-haters who were gleefully rubbing their hands with the hope that the US economy would collapse. It's coming now baby. Take your medicine.

Hey, I don't hate America. They just put one dingbat in the White House who also left Texas with a big bill and his thinking was , let the other guy fix it!! Truth is, Bush isn't the only one to blame so is Cheney, and the other original gang, who went to go into Iraq. Now, all of the world is paying for it and the US citizens will pay for it forever! How can one pay off 9 Trillion plus counting national debt???? Besides China holds the US economy in its hands!

I don't think you get it...."fixing" this problem will indeed mean cutting it off.

And your basis for this comes from? The "fix" is to get the credit market moving properly again. All governments in all countries with money are pumping money into the world economy to try to get it moving properly again. Cutting the US off won't help that.

And your basis for this comes from? The "fix" is to get the credit market moving properly again. All governments in all countries with money are pumping money into the world economy to try to get it moving properly again. Cutting the US off won't help that.

So you do want to continue the party....the Americans can just pile up even more debt. That's what I thought.

Where will I put another 65" HDTV ?

I never said that. There is no problem with the US fixing their problems. There is a problem with the US becoming protectionist.

There is a problem with any nations becoming "protectionist", but it happens all the time. Happens in Japan, happens in China, and even happens in Canada. It's just more painful if the largest economy on the planet does it.

Frankly, it won't matter as long as Joe Consumer hangs on to cash. Confidence is dead right now.....

Bahahahaha! For the last eight years I've been reading on these internets about a large number of America-haters who were gleefully rubbing their hands with the hope that the US economy would collapse. It's coming now baby. Take your medicine.

And how is this post different to the ones you're complaining about?

Its not surprising that insular folks such as yourself would arrive at such a conclusion.

There is a problem with any nations becoming "protectionist", but it happens all the time. Happens in Japan, happens in China, and even happens in Canada. It's just more painful if the largest economy on the planet does it.

Frankly, it won't matter as long as Joe Consumer hangs on to cash. Confidence is dead right now.....

We underscore the critical importance of rejecting protectionism and not turning inward in times of financial uncertainty. In this regard, within the next 12 months, we will refrain from raising new barriers to investment or to trade in goods and services, imposing new export restrictions, or implementing World Trade Organization (WTO) inconsistent measures to stimulate exports.

-- Taken from the G-20 Summit November 2008 Statement

Apparently the Dems didnt read what was collectively agreed to or they think that the 12 months are up....

Wanna sell me some softwood lumber really cheap?

If you want to change the subject from your previous comment... go for it. Try as you may, you cant suck and blow at the same time.

If what Obama is preaching goes ahead, you might as well abandon future G-20 summits.

Incidentally, didnt the US raise tarrifs on steel back in 2002 and had to lift it in 2003 because it hurt you rather than help you?

If you want to change the subject from your previous comment... go for it. Try as you may, you cant suck and blow at the same time.

Oh yes we can...the US has been doing it for years.

If what Obama is preaching goes ahead, you might as well abandon future G-20 summits.

Obama isn't preaching anything...it is US federal law from 1933.

Incidentally, didnt the US raise tarrifs on steel back in 2002 and had to lift it in 2003 because it hurt you rather than help you?

Probably...but again the point is that we use such tactics at will, regardless what G-20 rubes may think is fair.