O'Canada Anthem at Schools

Oh get a grip on your cheeks, Oleg, it's just a friggen song we hardly ever sing and then only squeak and warble! And it's out of date.

Oh Canada, our home ON native land (oops! and there's a problem!)

True patriot love, in all thy sons command (hmm... )

With glowing hearts we see thee rise,

The True North, strong and free!

From far and wide, O Canada, (doesn't acknowledge those who were here)

We stand on guard for thee.

God keep our land glorious and free ! (It should just say WE)

O Canada, we stand on guard for thee. (Could have something more creative here.)

O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh get a grip on your cheeks, Oleg, it's just a friggen song we hardly ever sing and then only squeak and warble! And it's out of date.

Oh Canada, our home ON native land (oops! and there's a problem!)

True patriot love, in all thy sons command (hmm... )

With glowing hearts we see thee rise,

The True North, strong and free!

From far and wide, O Canada, (doesn't acknowledge those who were here)

We stand on guard for thee.

God keep our land glorious and free ! (It should just say WE)

O Canada, we stand on guard for thee. (Could have something more creative here.)

O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

It doesn't seem you like Canada at all. You just want to change everything to suit your agenda. Why not just move elsewhere instead of pushing the will of a minority on the majority.

Any changes like this should go to a referendum for a vote.

Edited by Mr.Canada

The national anthem is not about war, its about pride, respect and appreacation. These people are teaching another generation to ignore these thre virtues, and we are going to see more and more entitled brats who will give nothing back and expect the world to revovle around them.

Normally I'm not one to support the concept of "tradition" because it's largely hollow (I remember a lot of people in my grade school / high school years who sort of mumbled their way through the song if they bothered with it at all), but this one strikes me as kind of close to home. I think there's still something to be said for honouring our past and taking pride in our nation, and I'm going to have to agree with Alta here -- there are way too many "entitled brats" running around this country who don't know -- or care to know -- anything about how good we have it here, relative to other nations. I think it's well worth it to take two minutes and remember that we're quite lucky to be living in a nation like Canada -- much as it's two minutes less students will be inundated with a lot of stuff they're not going to remember tomorrow anyway, I still think it's worthwhile.

It is true that there was no national debt. What happened in the wake of the closing of the National Bank was the spread of unregulated, unspervised banks that fueled speculation, followed by the Panic of 1837. Do those facts sound familiar?

Hahaha.. the Second Bank of the United States allowed unregulated speculation that lead to a to fiat devaluation, do not think that things became unregulated afterwards. If anything, they became accountable, which is regulation. It was the central bank that caused the speculation and fraud. Just like today. The same thing all central banks do.

Jackson was right to implement Specie Circular, and closing the central bank.

Huh? Is neither English nor Canadian your first language?

I need a new keyboard. Delete give me this: (]\), enter gives me this' (=) and this (') moves the cusor up a line.

Is Max Keiser, Peter Schiff, Jim Rogers, and Ron Paul wrong? That is the question. The sentence about Obama, wrong word, know should be now.

How much deflation do you want? My own guess is that the real deflation hasn't shown up in price indices yet, but we may be down 5-8% in prices year over year soon.

As much deflation as possible, unfortunatley not all the deflation is real, like oil prices. They are also trying to keep house prices artificially high. It is not going to happen. Inflation will skyrocket. I don't know how you expect delfation to occur of the year when they are increasing the money supply in order to increase credit so they keep the 'party' going.

Not sure what you're getting at.

Umm, inflation. You know, what I have been talking about, but then you mention deflation.. a little weird.

As much deflation as possible, unfortunatley not all the deflation is real, like oil prices. They are also trying to keep house prices artificially high. It is not going to happen. Inflation will skyrocket. I don't know how you expect delfation to occur of the year when they are increasing the money supply in order to increase credit so they keep the 'party' going.
Because something known as "velocity" or the rate at which money is spent has to be way down. Prices, not only at the gas pump, are cratering.

I just bought an $89 silk tie for m son's Bar Mitzvah at Bloomingdale's, a rather expensive store, for $37.99. Gas is down around $1.20 per U.S. gallon from last year at the same time.

I like to know where's the parents that DO want their children to sing O Canada? Usually the majority rules and so far what has the majority of parents want? Why can't the ones that don't want to sing the anthem just leave the room or stand there and not sing it.

That is terrible. Not to stay in the room while our National Anthem is played. Many people died for Canada while this Anthem was being played and sung yet who cares about that right Topaz, as long as you get to push the agenda.

Thousands of letters have been sent to the Education Minister in NB and their passing legislation making it mandatory to played in all schools, as it should be. Canadian flags in every classroom as well, face the flag while the Anthem is played. Thank God my kids go to Catholic School and are immune to all this politically correctness gone awry.

That is terrible. Not to stay in the room while our National Anthem is played. Many people died for Canada while this Anthem was being played and sung yet who cares about that right Topaz, as long as you get to push the agenda.

Thousands of letters have been sent to the Education Minister in NB and their passing legislation making it mandatory to played in all schools, as it should be. Canadian flags in every classroom as well, face the flag while the Anthem is played. Thank God my kids go to Catholic School and are immune to all this politically correctness gone awry.

This is one of the very few times I'm going to unequivocally agree with you Mr. Canada. When I was in grade school I attended an extremely multicultural school (my kindergarten classroom looked like an episode of Sesame Street) which was really cool for me, because I was introduced to a myriad of different cultural backgrounds. However, the school petitioned (and this was in the mid-80s) to fly a flag and play an anthem based on the home country of the largest population of students at the school. My mom shit a brick and petitioned the school to reverse the decision, and honestly even at that time I agreed with her. I'm all for multiculturalism and diversity -- really I am -- but this is still Canada and our traditions (at least the secular, patriotic ones) really should be recognized. I'd be fully in support of singing a national anthem of any country I lived in -- it's just respectful, you know?

The vast majority of Canadians died in war while God Save The King was being sung.

Well it certainly has permitted a government with enormous economic problems to temporarily distract everyone with a non-issue. People really are that gullible, I guess.

Because something known as "velocity" or the rate at which money is spent has to be way down. Prices, not only at the gas pump, are cratering.

I just bought an $89 silk tie for m son's Bar Mitzvah at Bloomingdale's, a rather expensive store, for $37.99. Gas is down around $1.20 per U.S. gallon from last year at the same time.

Yes.... lets think short term... and only covering the surface. :rolleyes

But it's inappropriate to offend the French, the Muslims, the Palestinians or any other of history's losers (not al members of these groups but the groups, by and large, have been unsuccessful).

But it's inappropriate to offend the French, the Muslims, the Palestinians or any other of history's losers (not al members of these groups but the groups, by and large, have been unsuccessful).

If they're offended by the Canadian National Anthem they need to find a more suitable place to live and have no business swearing the oath to become Canadian.

If they're offended by the Canadian National Anthem they need to find a more suitable place to live and have no business swearing the oath to become Canadian.
The Canadian National Anthem is just one of many items in their drop-down menu that they're "offended" by.

They can find a more suitable place to live because they don't like the lyrics to a song? That's pretty extreme.

Very trivial indeed. Mr.Canada need to get a grip that people don't have much choice in where they live, and have little options in moving to places. Forcing them to move over such a thing is economically unsound.

Nationalist should be under the same category as racist, sexist, etc.

This attitude of changing everything because some group or person whines about it has to end.

I hope you remember that in the future. It seems to me that I just read a post where you called the Reform party platform almost perfect...seems rather hypocritical of you to me.

Days after a school superintendent ordered the national anthem back into Belleisle Elementary, a member of the local parents committee in the southern New Brunswick town is criticizing the decision for damaging the school's welcoming atmosphere.

Kelly Cooper, the vice-chair of the Parent School Support Committee at Belleisle Elementary, said the anthem controversy that erupted last week subjected the school and its principal to unfair hostility and created an "us-against-them" mentality in the community.

N.B. anthem dispute opened divisions in community: parent

Boo hoo.

...a member of the local parents committee in the southern New Brunswick town is criticizing the decision for damaging the school's welcoming atmosphere.1

What decision is she talking about? That which was made to voice opposition to the daily singing, that which was made to bar the daily singing, or that which re-allowed the daily singing?

Finally someone who doesn't bend to the will of the vocal minorities which run Canada. Time to do what the majority want.

The idea that anyone would be compelled to sing an anthem is outrageous. Sing it if you want, but the whole thing is a concocted piece of nothing, an attempt by the government to misdirect people to a meaningless issue is really more like fiddling while Rome burns.

At any rate, if kids don't want to sing the national anthem in school, they should be accommodated. It's a free country, and not a tyranny where we shove nationalism down everyone's throat.

The idea that anyone would be compelled to sing an anthem is outrageous. Sing it if you want, but the whole thing is a concocted piece of nothing, an attempt by the government to misdirect people to a meaningless issue is really more like fiddling while Rome burns.

At any rate, if kids don't want to sing the national anthem in school, they should be accommodated. It's a free country, and not a tyranny where we shove nationalism down everyone's throat.

They weren't even playing it Toad. I'm sorry if you don't love Jesus cause Christianity hurt you and I'm sorry that you hate Canada and dislike the flag and our National Anthem but please don't poison the next generation with your hatred of Canada. Why not just move to another country?