Pope reinstates bishop who denies the Holocaust

jdobbin

Hopefully leave him be. If he thinks that Katrina was Gods punishment, he better speak to god and ask why He is such a poor shot?

No kidding! The gay district was about the only neighbourhood in New Orleans that wasn't under water. But, what I want to know is why was this man promoted to bishop? Along with some of the other so called traditionalists who have been rewarded by Benedict of late, it appears to be part of a theme! When do you think he'll repeal Vatican II?

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No kidding! The gay district was about the only neighbourhood in New Orleans that wasn't under water.

Well how about that? So much for "punishing" those sinful homosexuals. Anybody who claims natural disasters (or 9/11 or Gaza or anything else) is a case of God punishing humanity needs their head read. People have been expecting Rapture / Judgment Day / Whatever for thousands of years now, and I have yet to see anything other than a series of unrelated tragedies befalling unfortunate people. That's not Judgment -- that's LIFE.

No kidding! The gay district was about the only neighbourhood in New Orleans that wasn't under water. But, what I want to know is why was this man promoted to bishop? Along with some of the other so called traditionalists who have been rewarded by Benedict of late, it appears to be part of a theme! When do you think he'll repeal Vatican II?

First of all, Benedict is very likely himself something of an opponent of Vatican II (so was JPII in his own way, but he was far more charismatic and politically savvy). At any rate, the reasoning seems to have been to repair a schism. The errant bishops accepted the authority of the Papacy and Vatican II as legitimate and thus were accepted back into the Church.

Unfortunately, and the Pope should have known this, that nutty ideas rarely come in singles.

First of all, Benedict is very likely himself something of an opponent of Vatican II (so was JPII in his own way, but he was far more charismatic and politically savvy). At any rate, the reasoning seems to have been to repair a schism.

I keep reading that "repairing schisms" mantra paragraph after paragraph, every time I read one of these damage control reports from Vatican spokesmen about Bishop Williamson -- one thing missing though........where is the reaching out and effort to repair schisms with liberation theology proponents and liberal theologians? Are holocaust-deniers and conservatives who believe that earthquakes and hurricanes are sent down from on high to punish sinners, the only schisms that the new pope is interested in reaching out to?

The errant bishops accepted the authority of the Papacy and Vatican II as legitimate and thus were accepted back into the Church.

Unfortunately, and the Pope should have known this, that nutty ideas rarely come in singles.

So what does Benedict have to say about Gerhard Maria Wagner, the man who believes "acts of God" really are acts of God, and not just the unfortunate consequence of natural processes? So far, all we have is this from one of the local flunkies, one Cardinal Schornborn:

Vienna Archbishop Christoph Cardinal Schönborn has defended controversial Linz auxiliary bishop-designate Gerhard Maria Wagner.

Schönborn said in his column in Friday's edition of the free Vienna newspaper "Heute" that Wagner had been running his parish in Windischgarsten in Upper Austria in an "outstanding" manner and his parishioners were pleased with him.

http://austriantimes.at/index.php?id=11073

So, from this we learn that priests who say that hurricanes are sent to kill the homosexuals, will get a promotion; but the Church will draw the line at outright Nazi ideology. That tells us a great deal about the direction the Vatican will take over the coming years.

I don't no much on this topic but I'm sure the Pope has his reasons. Remember he's smarter than most.

He's better educated than most, and within the narrow realms of languages and theology, I'm sure he is smarter than most. But one thing that has become increasingly evident about Benedict XVI is that, politically, he is incredibly naive, particularly compared to his predecessor. One thing we can be certain of is that John Paul II would not have blundered so badly, and if he did, he would have much more artfully found his way out of it.

This was a screwup on a substantial level, and the Vatican has pretty much admitted that there was not enough research done of Williamson.