Federal government will run a $34-billion deficit in 2009?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think political partisanship has a lot to do with the survey results.

If the budget was done up by Liberals we'd probably see something like 4/10 Cons like it but 9/10 Liberals did.

If it was NDP we'd see 0/10 Cons liked it and 10/10 dippers did.

I don't disagree with you. However, I felt similar to the first comments in the article, that I didn't quote, that there would be a larger number of CPC supporters who would have a revolt of sorts. Clearly the CPC voters and even hard core have simply chosen to live with it rather then criticise it. I am a bit surprised by this. I would have thought 6 in 10 conservatives are for this budget and would vote conservative regardless of their thoughts on the budget. But 9 in 10 is pretty high, infact it is impressive, and perhaps the CPC have read this one right.

I Agree with your two examples if the other parties created the budget, we would see numbers like you describe.

No surprise there.

Yeah. Tory supporters are sheep while Liberal, NDP and GP supporters are free thinkers. Is that why Layton demands his members vote along party lines or else they get kicked out of the party?
Harper has kicked members out of the party. Iggy hasn't had a Scandal erm reason to kick any LPC out of the party yet, and did not whip the vote to support the budget. Layton hasn't kicked anyone out of the party that I am aware of since becoming leader of the NDP.

The GP can't kick out an MP because they have NEVER had any..... well, one but he was kicked out by the LPC and then kicked out by the electorate :)

Mr. Canada. You have just highlighted that Mr. Harper is the only current leader to kick anyone out of the party for being a free thinker.

Layton kicked out Desjarlais.

There was another thread on this...... Desjarlais was an NDP MP and lost the nomination battle much like Chuck Cadmanl lost his nomination battle. Desjarlais went on to lose as an independent and Cadman went on to win as an independent.

Jack did not kick out anyone. Desjarlais voted according to her constituents and her own beliefs and took some heat from the party but was not kicked out. Her constituents didn't back her nomination meeting or in the election, which happens in electoral politics.

Bill Casey was kicked out of the party by Harper. He ran as an independent and won.

If Desjarlais won her nomination meeting as a New Democrat and then the election for the riding Desjarlais would still sit as an NDP MP.

Iggy hasn't had a Scandal erm reason to kick any LPC out of the party yet, and did not whip the vote to support the budget.

If the vote was not whipped, that would have made it a free vote. To my understanding, all except for the six Nfld MPs were expected to vote with the party. It's more like a partially whipped vote. A first for Parliament. :lol:

Jack did not kick out anyone. Desjarlais voted according to her constituents and her own beliefs and took some heat from the party but was not kicked out. Her constituents didn't back her nomination meeting or in the election, which happens in electoral politics.

She was kicked out as critic and targeted for replacement.

uh oh...the post police are out again. If not in the MSM it doesn't exist. When will these kids learn?

Didn't ask for mainstream media. I am asking for any reference at all. Hansard. Encyclopedia. Blog.

Think I asked the same from you when you said the evidence showed that not many people died in the Holocaust. Have you recanted? The Pope is making the priest recant and will not appoint him until he does.

Edited by jdobbin

So one's observation isn't enough? You need someone else to type it for it to be true? Anyone really will do I guess, from what you've said.

I'd like to hear where the claim was made. An anonymous poster notwithstanding. It is like your claims that the Holocaust didn't happen. I wanted to see where you got that idea.

By the way, have you recanted on your claim on Holocaust deaths? The Pope is saying recanting must happen.

Edited by jdobbin

She was kicked out as critic and targeted for replacement.

Dejarlais wasn't kicked out of the party by Jack Layton. A slap on the wrist is not the same as being kicked out of the party.

Contested nominations occur in many ridings often where a party has strength there are people who choose to run against an Incumbent. Do parties secure the nominations of incumbent MPs? I don't believe the NDP does, perhaps the LPC and CPC secure nominations. Nominations like Iggy. :)

Dejarlais wasn't kicked out of the party by Jack Layton. A slap on the wrist is not the same as being kicked out of the party.

It was hardly a slap on the wrist. She was an outsider in her own party and persona non grata. She had a target on her back and the full weight of the NDP brass to have her removed.

It is why to do this day many NDPers in Manitoba despise Layton.

Contested nominations occur in many ridings often where a party has strength there are people who choose to run against an Incumbent. Do parties secure the nominations of incumbent MPs? I don't believe the NDP does, perhaps the LPC and CPC secure nominations. Nominations like Iggy. :)

If only this had been a contested riding issue. It wasn't. It was a targeted attack on Desjarlais that left a bade taste in many people's view of Layton.

Citation for that?

From the Parliament of Canada website, party vote meaning whipped vote:

whipped vote

(vote de parti)

See: party vote

free vote

(vote libre)

Non-procedural term, meaning a vote during which party discipline is not imposed on individual Members. Votes on private Members' business are usually conducted as free votes.

---

party vote

(vote de parti)

A division on a question during which Members follow the instructions of their respective whips so as to reflect the official positions of their parties. The Speaker calls first the yeas, then the nays and the votes are taken party by party, in order of their strength in the House.

http://www.parl.gc.ca/information/about/pr...e.htm#partyvote

There is no combination of a free vote with a whipped vote. It's one or the other.

In all your years as a keen observer, do you recall a partial free vote or a partial whipped vote? I don't.

In all your years as a keen observer, do you recall a partial free vote or a partial whipped vote? I don't.

I do actually.

There have been numerous budgets over the years where the PM or Opposition leaders have allowed their members to be absent rather than vote for a budget they opposed or supported. In other words, the budget was whipped for some and not for others.

If only this had been a contested riding issue. It wasn't. It was a targeted attack on Desjarlais that left a bade taste in many people's view of Layton.

Well, now you made me look at the riding. The NDP picked this seat back up with Layton as leader. The LPC incumbent lost around 5000 votes and the riding.

Well, now you made me look at the riding. The NDP picked this seat back up with Layton as leader. The LPC incumbent lost around 5000 votes and the riding.

It was because Tina Keeper was not that good as local constituency work and had Dion around her ankles as an anchor.