Parliamentary Budget Officer tells it like it is

punked

If you are so opposed to welfare for political parties, I hope that we may rest assured that you do not claim a deduction for your political donations-- so as to avoid forcibly taking money from the rest of us.

I don't donate to any political parties period.

How is me making a tax deduction claim taking money from you?

All that means is I pay less taxes.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or cut unnecessary services.

You want to cut unnecessary services then start with these new so called non-profit corporations and agents that have sprung up as of late - There is no such thing as a not for profit out fit..If someone is collecting a pay cheque then that is a profit - point being - any time you see the word SERVICE attatched to a title you know that they serve no one but the bureacracy that is them...I say cut all services that serve their own collective mass at the parasitic pretence of serving the public.

We are one of the highest taxed first world country in the world, second only to Norway.

I should know better than respond to a troll but others may read his nonsense so for their benefit:

Canada appears to be 18th in the OECD.

List of countries by tax revenue as percentage of GDP

Canada has come a long way since the 1980's and 1990's when our taxes were going up. Taxes have been coming down, generally, for over 8 years now so it is time that people get with the times and recognize this fact.

Edited by msj

In taking a tax deduction for a $100 donation, Blueblood, you would actually be giving only $25 of your own money to a political party, along with $75 more that rightfully belongs in General Revenue.

That's basic stuff.

The hoohaw about political welfare is a sad joke that just plays on the general ignorance of voters. (It's really, really insulting, until you see how many dopes buy it completely.) The $1.95 is the least of it, and the least offensive. The deduction for donations takes more from the taxpayers than that little per vote bonus, and does so less fairly, and when you pile on the 60% refund on election expenses (which may have been additionally padded by in-out accounting )....

In taking a tax deduction for a $100 donation, Blueblood, you would actually be giving only $25 of your own money to a political party, along with $75 more that rightfully belongs in General Revenue.

That's basic stuff.

The hoohaw about political welfare is a sad joke that just plays on the general ignorance of voters. (It's really, really insulting, until you see how many dopes buy it completely.) The $1.95 is the least of it, and the least offensive. The deduction for donations takes more from the taxpayers than that little per vote bonus, and does so less fairly, and when you pile on the 60% refund on election expenses (which may have been additionally padded by in-out accounting )....

This brings us back to our basic theme.

1)Why should the gov't be awash in money?

2)Why should we punish success?

That 100 dollars rightfully belongs to me. I earned it, I should do what I want with it. The gov't in essence is forcibly taking it from me. Yes, yes we all have to pay taxes, but the less taxes we pay is better news for the country. That 25 dollars political parties will be spending on their business, and that 75 dollars I can buy a steak dinner at the keg. Both help out the economy far more than that 100 dollars being eaten up in taxes and going who knows where.

If I want to donate to political parties I will. I shouldn't have my 2 dollars forcibly taken from me to run attack ads. I would rather buy 2 chocolate bars rather than give it to political parties. I'd rather improve the co-op's bottom line then have it "stolen" to fund in essence propaganda.

Deductions on donations go a long way as far as getting funding is concerned. More funding occurs when there is incentive to donate rather than forcibly take whatever amount until people get agitated. It's also better for the economy as a whole when people have extra cash to spend on whatever they want.