Conservatives to table $40 billion deficit: CTV

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then why do you deny that the liberals took the reform ideas on budgetary matters and implement them?

Never said anything of the sort. Reform was right on the issue of deficits. It is too bad they ran racists in my riding or they might have had more support.

Why couldn't there have been a stimulus without a deficit?

That's the 64,000 dollar question. I don't think we could afford stimulus without a deficit. If spending was slashed, the vancouverites and easterners would have a coniption fit.

I'd like to hear your ideas on stimulus if you think you can do better.

Personally I would have run a balanced budget and took my kick in the pants until the economy recovered.

That's the 64,000 dollar question. I don't think we could afford stimulus without a deficit. If spending was slashed, the vancouverites and easterners would have a coniption fit.

Depends on where the cuts were.

I'd cut the ethanol subsidy immediately. I'd reduce the cabinet to 24 ministers. I'd end the submarine program. I'd end Atlantic Opportunities and Western Diversification. I'd end tax money for the CBC and commercials on the TV end of it. I'd reduce transfer payments. I'd impose a hiring freeze for the federal government and a budget cut across the board. I would extend many procurement programs a year or more.

I'd like to hear your ideas on stimulus if you think you can do better.

Personally I would have run a balanced budget and took my kick in the pants until the economy recovered.

My preference is for infrastructure projects where the federal government supplies all the money rather than waits for the other levels of government kick money in. For each billion spent on infrastructure, 35,000 jobs are created. I'd let the provinces and municipal governments speak out on where a project is ready to go and just needs the cash. If it hasn't even been tendered, don't bother.

I think a balanced budget was possible with a stimulus. It would have been a whole lot easier if a rainy day fund had been created years ago.