MyMedia

Yorkness

Hi, I was just interested in seeing how people liked to get their news here. I have a few questions: Which medium do you like to get your news through? Is it radio? Which stations? Television? Which channels? Print media? Magazines? Newspapers? Which ones?

Personally I like to listen to the radio because I find it goes a little more in depth with the news. It also offers many complimentary programs that go even further into depth of the news reported. Also, radio is a little less constrained by schedule. News reports are offered more frequently, and breaking news is offered faster I feel. Personally I listen to 630 CHED of Edmonton. I live there. I like because it has many different talkshows with very interesting and passionate hosts among other alternative programs. Another thing I like about radio is the fact that it is more participative. People more often can phone in and comment direcly on something said on either a news report or talkshow. The CBC is also interesting though I listen to it more for the interesting cultural programs they offer such as Vinyl Cafe, Quarks and Quarks and the various programs they usually offer on technology and world cultures.

I dont watch much television. I find it to be very limiting. It's alll about image. It only manages to announce the news and not promote or elaborate on it. Although "The National" with Peter Mansbridge will always be a classical favorite of mine.

Of all the ways to get my news I prefer magazines. I love them. Their glossy covers. Their witty cartoons. Their photos. The fact that I can read what I want to. I can choose to read the headline or read the entire story. The artistic way in which journalists form their words, sentences, and paragraphs. Print media goes the farthest in depth of any news medium. TIME has always been a favorite of mine though it is getting a little too bare bones for me. The New Yorker is a must. It's cartoons are thought-provoking and funny. It's articles are still quite long and though interesting articles are few and far between the ones which finally interest are of the best. Maclean's is great to read sometimes, being Canadian as well. For newspapers I read The Star. I find that it covers the widest variety of topics, especially international news, which many newspapers report little on (Edmonton Journal...). Also I have a soft spot for the city as I am from there. The Star I also find to be consistently relevant in it's reporting. It does'nt report many quirky stories better served for the latest New York Times fiction bestseller. The other local and private newspapers such as the Globe & mail, National Post seem to be either too irrelevant or too radical.

Also, judging the general left/right mentality of this board. Which media would you consider left/right? Just for entertainment purposes. And if you are currently reading a politcally realted book; Please share. I just started the Chretien book "My years as Prime Minister". I've always wanted to read up on this man. What a character.

Edited by Yorkness

I get my news from everywhere, but I get personal perspectives on the news from this board.

You can't expect a journalist to be able to articulate the perspective of someone that they're not on the same page with in a few sentences.

I agree. I too form more of a personal perspective from reading personal opinions. Thats why I more than often find myself more interested in the commentary on a story than the story itself. A journalist acts much like a marketer in expressing only the parts of a story with the most "shock" value so most can hardly be expected to provide a very abstract opinion. I was just interested in what people used to stay informed on this forum as the world of media is so personal and dynamic and it could make a great conversation.

• 1 month later...
Personally I listen to 630 CHED of Edmonton. I live there. I like because it has many different talkshows with very interesting and passionate hosts among other alternative programs.

Other than the hockey broadcasts, I cannot think of a single minute of local programming on CHED that is worth listening to. Sometimes Rutherford (not local) is interesting, but he often sounds like he does not believe himself.

Leslie Primeau may be the dumbest person ever to sit in front of a microphone in the history of radio.

I agree. I too form more of a personal perspective from reading personal opinions. Thats why I more than often find myself more interested in the commentary on a story than the story itself.

Me too, more often than not I go online and read the editorial and comment sections of various papers. I always buy the local weekly paper but rarely any national papers anymore. Just enough to keep some paper around the house for the bottom of the cat box or to start a fire from time to time.