How do you become a Senator?

punked

Do you contribute to Canada, making it a better place? Do you sacrifice and work hard at making things work?

NOPE you raise money for Harper.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...y/politics/home

That's the way its always been...and although Harper tried to tell Canadians he was different, obviously he's just like any other politician (liberal or Conservative) saying what he needs to say to get elected.

He has some 'political capital'...but his account balance is seriously eroding I think, except with the fundamentalist/evangelical/born-again crowd.

Do you contribute to Canada, making it a better place? Do you sacrifice and work hard at making things work?

well, one guy did it by being Trudeau's chaffeur!

While you're busy slamming Harper's choices does that mean all the present Liberal appointees "sacrifice and work hard at making things work?"

You seem to have an interesting perspective. You can only see evil through your RIGHT eye!

You become a senator once the boys on bay street O K you - Much like Harris became a premier - cos' he played real gooood golf.

• 3 weeks later...
So, thinking of driving ...... :)

Senate needs to be abolished. IT is a joke, and will always be a joke.

Do you know what the senate is there for and why the fathers of confederation decide on the senate? I believed the same as you until I watched them at their committee meetings and change my mind.

I believed the same as you until I watched them at their committee meetings and change my mind.

Yes, I used to think I wanted it changed or gone too, but for the alst year or two, I've come to realize how important their roll is.

That's the way its always been...and although Harper tried to tell Canadians he was different, obviously he's just like any other politician (liberal or Conservative) saying what he needs to say to get elected.

He has some 'political capital'...but his account balance is seriously eroding I think, except with the fundamentalist/evangelical/born-again crowd.

And if Harper pushed more for an elected Senate instead, you'd probably be complaining about that.

If Harper wanted to appoint senators instead of having an elected senate, why wait so long to do it?

I'm agnostic and I support the Conservatives. The problem with the Liberals is that I have an image burned into my mind of more than a decade of Chrétien coronations, and I have little interest in reliving it. The NDP is too far left and the Bloc is irrelevant. The Conservatives aren't perfect, but they're the best choice.

If Harper wanted to appoint senators instead of having an elected senate, why wait so long to do it?

Had to get the bagman lined up after the election, not before. If Harper had appointed Senators before the September Election their would have been bloody hell to pay. He would be joining the ranks of John Turner.

Their is method to the actions of the CPCs drive for power and control. By any means, by any method.

Harper wanted to appoint Hacks for Senators and he did.

Of course the LPC have no credibility to challenge the Senate Choices. But they could find some courage and end the Senatorial gravy train.

There's a lot of noise about Harper's appointments but it's pretty easy to understand what he's doing. He's spent three years trying to get Parliament, the Senate and the Provinces to initiate some reforms and he's had little success. So now he's appointing people so he can reform it from the inside. Once Conservatives have a majority in the Senate, they can start to make changes like Term Limits. Hindsight is always 20/20 but in retrospect, Harper's mistake was made three years ago - when he was first elected, he should have said "I'm going to take 3 or 4 years to try and get everyone onside to make some headway on Senate Reform - and if there is no cooperation, I'll make appointments in the traditional way and try to reform the Senate from the inside"......but he didn't say that....so now the usual suspects are saying he broke his word.

There's a lot of noise about Harper's appointments but it's pretty easy to understand what he's doing. He's spent three years trying to get Parliament, the Senate and the Provinces to initiate some reforms and he's had little success. So now he's appointing people so he can reform it from the inside.

:rolleyes:

Tell me another whopper, I just fell off the turnip truck. You don't expect people to believe that party line BS. Talk about being full of it. It's just CPC patronage, something they have as much historical affection for as do the LPC. Don't give us that crap about "reform".......

People don't want more elections, they want less. People don't care about the Senate and the Senate has no function other then to be used just as the Harper Government is using. A place to put the party faithfull and give them a holiday and a paycheck at the sametime while they maintain their activities as party hacks, fundraisers and organizers.

Regardless, I heard that line before, and it is just as much a lie today as it was yesterday, the day before and the month before that.

Stacking the Senate is a longtime game for government. Abolishing the Senate is the best reform for our government. But the CPC wants a place for their friends. And if you dream in technicolour, one day, people will get the choice to choose between two party hacks for a Senate seat and it will be called reform.

Get rid of the Senate.

Then get rid of MPs gold plated pensions.