The Difference between a FPTP Party and a PR Party

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do people think that proportional represention leads to control by fringe parties? This is hardly the case by my experience. I've been living in Uruguay for the past few months and I see a total of 4 parties with PR. "Blancos" = Rural conservatives, "Colorados" = Urban conservatives, "Frente Amplio" = Leftist party, "Independiente" = a fringe party with only 1 seat(out of 99 total). I would hardly call any of them fringe parties besides the the "Independiente" one. Even this party is rather reasonable.

I don't understand how so many fellow Canadians are against a more fair and even democracy.

That is a cult not a religion.

That is an opinion and not a good one. I doubt any one would argue that being a Jehovas witness is not having a religious belief. Whether they are right or wrong is entirely moot.

• 2 weeks later...

I think its fair to say the whole issue of electoral reform in Ontario was managed with failure in mind right from the get go. Its a classic example of the way special interests capture a process so they can drive it off a cliff. In this case it was politicians with a vested interest in maintaining an entrenched status quo.

This brings to mind when they were trying to rename Port Arthur/Fort Williams at the Lakehead. The government stated that they would like the name Thunder Bay and proceeded to ask the people what name they liked. The majority of people at the head of the lakes said they would like the city to be called Lakehead. In the following referendum the government of Ontario then asked for a choice of 1) Thunderbay 2)" The" Lakehead or 3) Lakehead. After successfully splitting the vote the government got what it wanted but not what the people wanted.

I'd like to see mandatory voting like in Australia.

WHY?

Who wants people voting who don't care what they are voting about, only voting to either stay out of jail, or to miss a fine.

I'd rather have poeple voting who care and make the effort to vote because they want their voice heard, not poeple voting because they have to and not informing themselves before hand.