Why is Global Warming an Isuue?

lukin

Canada has little effect on the global warming.

Refer back to the Sept. 22 issue of Macleans, repected writer Andrew Coyne said,

"Global warming is a massive issue, but Canada's impact on it is marginal: whether we impose a carbon tax or not will make little difference to the earth."

Seems to me like a way to tax hard - working Canadians even more to provide for those who feel they are entitled a government funded living.

Wake up canadians. The environmental issues are blinding you to the real issues of the day.

The carbon tax will HURT you more than any other policy.

Canadian farmers should be extremely worried. Imagine the carbon taxes on the fuel and fertilizer you use?

The carbon tax is a meaningless cash grab that will hurt the middle class more than anyone.

It is all a big lie by governments, scientists and corporations to get money moving their way. Scientists want more more for research, corporations will sell you any widget you ant to stop this latest "Fear mongering problem" ie: global warming, climate change. (Remember the gas shortages in 1975-76, there is NO MORE OIL, we are DOOMED, DOOMED WE WILL ALL DIE!!!!! and now 30+ years later and oil is still all over the globe in full supply.)

Do some quick research, Mars, Mercury, Earth and Jupiter are all experiencing the same problem, "Climate Change", It has to be the sun that is doing it!

You cannot be so stupid and self-centered to believe what e are doing here on earth is effecting Mars, Mecury and Jupiter too.

Are you really that stupid or do you believe that everything still circles around the Earth even the sun????

The NDP, Liberals and Green Party are playing right into your FEAR and lack of knowledge and want you to believe that ENVIROMENT is way more important than our economy in these times and want to TAX you more. Harper is the only one pushing enviroment in the plan to the importance level it is supposed to be at and focusing on the economy.

He is the only one with a clear intelligent plan to help the economy not send it into a spending blackhole like the Liberals with thier CArbon Tax and Green Shift spending.

Be smart and don't drink the Liberal Kool-Aid, it'll kill you and Canada too!!!

Edited by TCCK

It is all a big lie by governments, scientists and corporations to get money moving their way. Scientists want more more for research, corporations will sell you any widget you ant to stop this latest "Fear mongering problem" ie: global warming, climate change. (Remember the gas shortages in 1975-76, there is NO MORE OIL, we are DOOMED, DOOMED WE WILL ALL DIE!!!!! and now 30+ years later and oil is still all over the globe in full supply.)

Do some quick research, Mars, Mercury, Earth and Jupiter are all experiencing the same problem, "Climate Change", It has to be the sun that is doing it!

You cannot be so stupid and self-centered to believe what e are doing here on earth is effecting Mars, Mecury and Jupiter too.

Are you really that stupid or do you believe that everything still circles around the Earth even the sun????

I agree with you. Unfortunately most Canadians are brainwashed into thinking there is a global warming issue.

Refer back to the Sept. 22 issue of Macleans, repected writer Andrew Coyne said,

"Global warming is a massive issue, but Canada's impact on it is marginal: whether we impose a carbon tax or not will make little difference to the earth."

Seems to me like a way to tax hard - working Canadians even more to provide for those who feel they are entitled a government funded living.

Wake up canadians. The environmental issues are blinding you to the real issues of the day.

Canadian farmers should be extremely worried. Imagine the carbon taxes on the fuel and fertilizer you use?

The carbon tax is a meaningless cash grab that will hurt the middle class more than anyone.

Same author andrew Coyne says Harpers green plan is more complicated, just as expensive and half as good as the Liberal plan. All of the parties have a green plan.

Same author andrew Coyne says Harpers green plan is more complicated, just as expensive and half as good as the Liberal plan. All of the parties have a green plan.

Harper does not plan on doing it all in 4 years like the Liberals do, he has a plan(yes more complicated) that outlines a longterm objective to make Canada wise on pollution and teach us to be a green nation yet not penalizing Big Business to the extremes that the Liberals do but still keeping them in check and making them learn and become more green in time.

Harper is a LONG TERM thinker and plans for a better Canada through slow and consistant changes not like the Liberals that think they will only have 1 term so e better rush it all at once to get it done in four years before we get our butts kicked out of power in 4 years and along the way we will hand as much of this "Green tax" money to our friends as possible and get as many under the table kickbacks and bribes to line our pockets as possible before we get the boot. (Yes that was a long one breath statement but that is the same thinking as the Liberals have on this matter.)

Vote Liberal and get bent over the desk, have your bankbook stolen, abused and beat up, called names that you are a polluter and then at the end of the day you will thank us because we have made you see you are truly a bad person and need our help to change. IT DOES NOT WORK LIKE THIS!!! That is Dion's plan and I WANT NOTHING TO DO WITH IT! That is what all the communist governments started like.

My Canada is smart enough to see through Dion's plan I hope!!

Was there a non-political oil shortage in 1975-1976 ?

Do some research that is a little more than "quick". Jupiter is not warming. Scientists have predicted that Jupiter will become warmer because of a change in some of the permanent storm systems. *I repeat change in long standing weather patterns.* This little tid bit was picked up and misunderstood by climate change skeptics.

Mars may be getting warmer, but the evidence is scant (it is amazing how climate skeptics can say hundreds of weather stations cannot tell us the temperature on earth, but a handful of photos can give us accurate readings on Mars).

Neptune on the other hand is getting colder.

Moreover, the whole idea that other planets are getting warmer shoots a big hole in the primary theory of the anti-AGW types, that the warming we have experienced is the result of solar winds interacting with our atmosphere. Since the other planets do not have similar atmospheres, they should not be warming by conventional anti-AGW theory.

I might also add, that you should refer to the planet experts when dealing with the question of why these planets are warming, rather than quote mining things you don't understand.

Let me see...I am not so stuipid to believe global warming is a conspiracy involving every major scientific organization on earth. I am not so stuipid as quote stuff I don't even begin to understand. But no, I do know the Earth revolves around the Sun. Thanks to the people who fought against anti-scientific nuts who tried to stifle science, they teach it in school now.

The NDP, Liberals and Green Party are playing right into your FEAR and lack of knowledge

I have plenty of knowledge, thank you.

Harper does not plan on doing it all in 4 years like the Liberals do, he has a plan(yes more complicated) that outlines a longterm objective to make Canada wise on pollution and teach us to be a green nation yet not penalizing Big Business to the extremes that the Liberals do but still keeping them in check and making them learn and become more green in time.

Harper is a LONG TERM thinker and plans for a better Canada through slow and consistant changes not like the Liberals that think they will only have 1 term so e better rush it all at once to get it done in four years before we get our butts kicked out of power in 4 years and along the way we will hand as much of this "Green tax" money to our friends as possible and get as many under the table kickbacks and bribes to line our pockets as possible before we get the boot. (Yes that was a long one breath statement but that is the same thinking as the Liberals have on this matter.)

Vote Liberal and get bent over the desk, have your bankbook stolen, abused and beat up, called names that you are a polluter and then at the end of the day you will thank us because we have made you see you are truly a bad person and need our help to change. IT DOES NOT WORK LIKE THIS!!! That is Dion's plan and I WANT NOTHING TO DO WITH IT! That is what all the communist governments started like.

My Canada is smart enough to see through Dion's plan I hope!!

The plan is just as expensive and half as good. If you want to knock one party it is only fair you go after the others as well.

Anyone that gives into the BS of "Climate Change" or "Global Warming" is stupid but unfortunately if you do not go along with the lie sometimes the masses of idiots that believe what the fear mongers preach will not let you do anything at all.

It is better to go along with the lie to then teach the people the truth when you can and then do what is best for the people when they understand the truth.

I say do what you can to be as green a nation as can be but not do it at such an extent that it hurts the economy and greater interests of the citizens of that country like the NDP, Green and Liberals are proposing.

Anyone that gives into the BS of "Climate Change" or "Global Warming" is stupid but unfortunately if you do not go along with the lie sometimes the masses of idiots that believe what the fear mongers preach will not let you do anything at all.

It is better to go along with the lie to then teach the people the truth when you can and then do what is best for the people when they understand the truth.

I say do what you can to be as green a nation as can be but not do it at such an extent that it hurts the economy and greater interests of the citizens of that country like the NDP, Green and Liberals are proposing.

I understand your believe about climate change. I even agree with some of what you say. I have seen the research. What I do not understand is why you do not paint the tories with the same brush. Harper has a green plan as well. Is it okay because he set it aside for the election. I understand your support for Harper but are you blindly ignoring faults in his ideas as well.

Exactly. That's why the original Clean Air Act was the only responsible plan. It aimed to meet targets in 40 years, if I recall correctly, without undue hardship. Does it make a different if Canada meets its targets today or in 40 years? No. And really, with all the uncertainty around manmade global warming, doing anything drastic over the next 10 years is foolish.

Edited by noahbody

That's the exact careless Conservative mentality the Greens are there to combat.

After all, everything Cons care about is profit, come hell or high water.

I understand your believe about climate change. I even agree with some of what you say. I have seen the research. What I do not understand is why you do not paint the tories with the same brush. Harper has a green plan as well. Is it okay because he set it aside for the election. I understand your support for Harper but are you blindly ignoring faults in his ideas as well.

Harper's the guy who stood up and said kyoto is worthless without the us, china and india. Absolute truth. Dion is the guy who criticized him for that. Absolute moron. Harper's original plan was one that was practical. What you see now is the response for Canadians demanding pain.

I think both plans suck. The only good thing about Harper's plan is that he's been honest about it saying costs are unavoidable. Dion's plan is basically a poverty plan, designed to appeal to the lefties to get more votes and get back into power. If you read it, it actually states its part of their poverty plan. As an environment plan it does nothing but pass the buck to joe consumer.

That's the exact careless Conservative mentality the Greens are there to combat.

After all, everything Cons care about is profit, come hell or high water.

BS, you are the exact reason the political arena is so split and there are so many wingnut parties coming out of the closets. That is NOT what the Conservatives are about and the greens are only in it for the profit too.

Their statement after May's "Go vote for the Liberal's" comment by some other nitwit in the party: "No continue to vote for us, WE NEED THE MONEY FOR ALL THE VOTES WE GET!"

If that is not ALL about the MONEY, WHAT IS??

The NDP, Liberals and Green Party are playing right into your FEAR and lack of knowledge and want you to believe that ENVIROMENT is way more important than our economy in these times and want to TAX you more. Harper is the only one pushing enviroment in the plan to the importance level it is supposed to be at and focusing on the economy.

He is the only one with a clear intelligent plan to help the economy not send it into a spending blackhole like the Liberals with thier CArbon Tax and Green Shift spending.

Be smart and don't drink the Liberal Kool-Aid, it'll kill you and Canada too!!!

I'm on the fence as to whether or not humans are causing the warming of Earth. I've never heard about the other planets warming as well... can you refer me to some scientific literature where I can learn more about it?

I'm on the fence as to whether or not humans are causing the warming of Earth. I've never heard about the other planets warming as well... can you refer me to some scientific literature where I can learn more about it?

easy just search this in google: mars climate change

then substitute mars with Mecury, then Jupiter. That should give you enough reading to last you a couple of years.

then substitute mars with Mecury, then Jupiter. That should give you enough reading to last you a couple of years.

BS, you are the exact reason the political arena is so split and there are so many wingnut parties coming out of the closets. That is NOT what the Conservatives are about and the greens are only in it for the profit too.

Their statement after May's "Go vote for the Liberal's" comment by some other nitwit in the party: "No continue to vote for us, WE NEED THE MONEY FOR ALL THE VOTES WE GET!"

If that is not ALL about the MONEY, WHAT IS??

It surely is... FOR THE CONS :P

Their is plenty of evidence too support both theories. We cannot do anything about the sun. We can do something about we do to the environment. The world is putting pressure on Canada to cut back on emissions and no matter which party gets in they will be forced to do something. Harper came up with his green plan because of international pressure and put it aside for the election. He will be forced to go through with it if he gets in.

The world is putting pressure on Canada to cut back on emissions and no matter which party gets in they will be forced to do something.
The finacial meltdown and the Russian invasion of Georgia has put an end to any desire in Europe for radical cuts. Hell, the Europeans can't even agree amoung themselves on how to cut emissions further.
Harper came up with his green plan because of international pressure and put it aside for the election. He will be forced to go through with it if he gets in.
Unlikely. The only trouble spot is the Americans may go with cap and trade because they desperately need to raise taxes and their political culture makes that next to impossible. Cap and trade gives them a back door way to increase tax revenue. The environmental spin is secondary.

http://environment.newscientist.com/channe...-change/dn11642

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article1720024.ece

These are just two articles about the changing climate of Mars. Have a read.

The first claims it to be a hoax, the second says that the temperature has risen 0.5C since... the 70s I think, but also that it's due to dust storms trapping heat in the atmosphere.

It isn't TOO difficult to tell the difference between real scientific theories that are plausible explanations as to why the Earth's temperature is rising and those that are fabricated for the purpose of discrediting the idea that humans are to blame. Yours, my friend, are half baked.

Sure, temperatures may very well be rising on those other planets. And this is supposed to tell us something about what's happening on Earth? Those planets are all made of different materials and may or may not have atmospheres that, if they do, are not the same as the Earth's anyway. There are too many factors to be considered to simply say that because the temperature on all planets is rising, the Sun must be increasing output. It's possible, but not necessarily true.

Jupiter, for example, is made entirely of gas... which means who knows what about how it absorbs light energy. Mars is red... which means different absorption of light and thus heat.

Either way, it doesn't really matter. Would you suck on the tail pipe of your car? No, and there's a reason. The stuff coming out the back is poison. It's not normal that the sky in Toronto (for example) is brown in the summer! Something is not right, even if we ignore the warming of the planet. So what's wrong with trying to reduce/eliminate pollution?

I don't think that it is, but even if this 'global warming scare' is just that, an attempt to create a market need in order to sell products (which is curiously OK in other industries... hmm), it's in our best interest to stop polluting, or at the very least reduce the amount.

Without China doing something about their Carbon footprint we are all spinning our wheels. 1/5 of the world's population and the largest contributor to pollution in our air.

Do not get me wrong, we should take care of our Canada and our Earth BUT without China doing so we are fighting a never ending losing battle.

Okay, every major scientific organization is "stupid". The thousands of individuals with Phd's - many in Physics- are "stuipid".
Not stupid, but human and subject peer pressure and tunnel vision. Especially when they know their government funding would disappear if they admitted that climate change is not likely to be a catastrophe. Cognative dissonance is a powerful force that does affect interpretation of ambiguous data. Cognative dissonance means people that have an incentive to believe in a certain scientific interpretation will be able to convince themselves that the interpretation is true even when it is not. This does not mean scientists are dishonest or engaged in some sort of conspiracy - it just means that they are human and their word cannot and should not be treated as the absolute truth.

I suspect most people understand this intuitively and that is why conscending appeals to authority don't actually convince people. All they do is cow some people into silence.

Edited by Riverwind

Unfortunately most Canadians are brainwashed into thinking there is a global warming issue.

I saw no evidence of this in yesterday's election result otherwise they would have voted for the Green Shift and they'd have elected the Liberals. It seems to me that the issue of global warming, and indeed the environment, took a back seat to the economy. Whether this will continue to be the case, who really knows? The Green Shift was just too radical a plan for Canadians to accept. I guess the Liberals have to rethink their policies pretty well from scratch.